I don't understand why Denver wants to to get rid of Cutler

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Who on Earth would Denver actually want to install as the QB if they were to trade Cutler?

I can't believe they thought about trading him for Cassel. (Bill, no offense, but I do not think Cassel is THAT good. He had a fine season replacing Brady, but now people act like he's Drew Brees or Kurt Warner)

Cutler has a strong throwing arm; whoever they bring in will probably be weak-armed or unable to throw farther than 15 yards.

Who on Earth would Denver actually want to install as the QB if they were to trade Cutler?

I can't believe they thought about trading him for Cassel. (Bill, no offense, but I do not think Cassel is THAT good. He had a fine season replacing Brady, but now people act like he's Drew Brees or Kurt Warner)

Cutler has a strong throwing arm; whoever they bring in will probably be weak-armed or unable to throw farther than 15 yards.

Because the new coach of Denver was the former offensive coordinator of New England and had a good relation with his former QB in Matt Cassel. Whenever a coach from a former team joins a new team, he likes to fill the roster with players he's familiar with. We're going through that process right now in Cleveland. Mangini has signed at least 4 Jets to the Browns so far.

Needless to say, I think Denver is starting to realize they screwed up.

Because the new coach of Denver was the former offensive coordinator of New England and had a good relation with his former QB in Matt Cassel. Whenever a coach from a former team joins a new team, he likes to fill the roster with players he's familiar with. We're going through that process right now in Cleveland. Mangini has signed at least 4 Jets to the Browns so far.

Needless to say, I think Denver is starting to realize they screwed up.

Here's an interesting scenario. Cleveland has a new coach. Mangini may also not like the current Anderson/Quinn tandem. What if...just WHAT IF...there was a trade between Denver and Cleveland; Anderson/Quinn for Cutler? Do you think that would satisfy both parties?

It's obvious to me as a Bronco fan that (a) Cutler can be a bit of a cry-baby at times (having seen many post-game press conferences) and generally isn't too media friendly (shades of Griese); and (b) Cutler *is* getting the raw end of the deal from an organization that let go a really decent coach who could not get things done with *HIS* quarterback. So with that said...here's my prediction...Cutler is out...maybe even before the mandatory mini-camps and draft day.

After seeing everything go down, I wouldn't want any part of Cutler in Cleveland. He's acting like a spoiled baby....His team explored trade possibilities....big deal. He needs to grow up.

Because he's not that good, at least Plummer got them to the playoffs.

I'm in total agreement with that comment. Plummer was more experienced and certainly didn't expect the world handed to him on a platter. If Denver's defense hadn't been so damn porous things would've worked out better for him. Too many times Jake would try to carry the team on his shoulders and throw that oh-so-crucial "F* me...I can't believe he did that!" interception at the worst times.

I think both sides are at fault here. The Broncos were wrong to lie to him about the fact that they were shopping him around, but Cutler is holding too big of a grudge. They really should just let bygones be bygones and focus on trying to win games. Instead it appears as though we have two d*ckheads competing in a "World's Biggest D*ckhead Competition." where obviously there will be no real "winner," and odds are the losers are going to be the fans of the Denver Broncos.

I think both sides are at fault here. The Broncos were wrong to lie to him about the fact that they were shopping him around, but Cutler is holding too big of a grudge. They really should just let bygones be bygones and focus on trying to win games. Instead it appears as though we have two d*ckheads competing in a "World's Biggest D*ckhead Competition." where obviously there will be no real "winner," and odds are the losers are going to be the fans of the Denver Broncos.

Yeah...no kidding!

Looks like I'm probably going to be "stuck" cheering for the Browns instead since the Broncos are going to be in great disarray from this divorce :p

Yeah...no kidding!

Looks like I'm probably going to be "stuck" cheering for the Browns instead since the Broncos are going to be in great disarray from this divorce :p

How can you be BOTH a Browns and Broncos fan? Don't you remember what Elway and company did to the Browns? I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about the 1980's Broncos.

How can you be BOTH a Browns and Broncos fan? Don't you remember what Elway and company did to the Browns? I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about the 1980's Broncos.

LOL! Oh yes...I remember seeing BOTH playoff games, growing up in Denver and going to high school at the time. It made for some great times then.

I live in NE Ohio now. Divorce...and staying near your son who lives in the general area tends to confobulate (is that REALLY a word?) the situation. Then again...this is the area that seems to have more Steeler fans than Browns fans (never understood that one). If Denver had even a 1/4 of that many people cheering for the Raiders there would be a serious riot.

:up

Cutler should marry the Jets

After seeing everything go down, I wouldn't want any part of Cutler in Cleveland. He's acting like a spoiled baby....His team explored trade possibilities....big deal. He needs to grow up.

If you are a football player, you MUST demand trades and hold out in order to make your best living. If you don't, you get less guaranteed money. The NFL is almost a "right to work" league. They can cut you at any time, for just about any reason. Cutler is being disrespected by McDaniel even thinking about bringing in a Cassel, or whoever. McDaniel has an offense that relies on short to medium passes, and the ability for a QB to make a decision at the line of scrimmage, before the snap. Cutler is more of a playmaker, and the last component of McDaniels' offense is breaking the pocket to make a play with your arm/legs. So why have a QB with a skill set, and cap number, you don't need? That's the question, but McDaniels was dumb for asking it out loud...

If you are a football player, you MUST demand trades and hold out in order to make your best living. If you don't, you get less guaranteed money. The NFL is almost a "right to work" league. They can cut you at any time, for just about any reason. Cutler is being disrespected by McDaniel even thinking about bringing in a Cassel, or whoever. McDaniel has an offense that relies on short to medium passes, and the ability for a QB to make a decision at the line of scrimmage, before the snap. Cutler is more of a playmaker, and the last component of McDaniels' offense is breaking the pocket to make a play with your arm/legs. So why have a QB with a skill set, and cap number, you don't need? That's the question, but McDaniels was dumb for asking it out loud...

another good point!:up

You had me up until here. McDaniel's job as a head coach is to make the team a better one. If that means entertaining the notion of bringing in another QB and shipping out your existing...then so be it. Where Cutler screwed up is this "trade me!!" crap. He really needs to put up or shut up. If he's so great...then prove it on the field. grrrmble-grrmble...no playoff wins

You had me up until here. McDaniel's job as a head coach is to make the team a better one. If that means entertaining the notion of bringing in another QB and shipping out your existing...then so be it. Where Cutler screwed up is this "trade me!!" crap. He really needs to put up or shut up. If he's so great...then prove it on the field. grrrmble-grrmble...no playoff wins

:up:up:up:up.

I'm tired of these sports players who make millions, then when they here something negative about themselves, they want traded.

I don't care what his problem is in Denver. We will sort that out just fine here in DETROIT! Give us a call, we have plenty of draft picks - name your price. Otherwise, the Lions will draft Stafford, personally I'd rather have the guy who was in the Pro-Bowl last season. I'm tired of projects. We have had one pro-bowl QB in my lifetime. (Greg Landry either 1971 or 1972. Bobby Lane doesn't count since I was only 2 days old when the Lions won their last championship.)

Our history of drafting QB's is not too impressive. Chuck Long, Andre Ware, Joey Harrington, etc... Mayhew has made some nice acquisitions this off season, but I still don't trust them to draft properly.

Additional note to Lion's brass - The Patriots are offering the 34th pick to Carolina for Julius Peppers - we can offer the 33rd. Do it!

It also helps that the Broncos have Chris Simms as a backup. I don't think Chris Simms is that great a quarterback, but history has proven the QB isn't essential to winning the SB. Look at the teams that had okay quarterbacks that have won in the past. The 2000 Baltimore Ravens (Trent Dilfer), the 1990 New York Giants (Jeff Hostetler), the common thread on both teams is a dominant defense. If Denver can ever develop a dominant defense, it won't matter who's quarterbacking the team.

I had a great amount of respect for Cutler before this all went down, now he's just another crybaby quarterback who whines whenever he gets his name involved in trade talks. Even the best players get traded, Wayne Gretzky got traded and he's the greatest hockey player of my generation, possibly ever. I have a term I like to use in my own life, get mad, then get over it. It's time for Cutler to get over it before he winds up regretting his trade request. He doesn't know just how good he's got it here. The Broncos aren't exactly worldbeaters yet, but there are other worse teams he could play for.

It also helps that the Broncos have Chris Simms as a backup. I don't think Chris Simms is that great a quarterback, but history has proven the QB isn't essential to winning the SB. Look at the teams that had okay quarterbacks that have won in the past. The 2000 Baltimore Ravens (Trent Dilfer), the 1990 New York Giants (Jeff Hostetler), the common thread on both teams is a dominant defense. If Denver can ever develop a dominant defense, it won't matter who's quarterbacking the team.

I had a great amount of respect for Cutler before this all went down, now he's just another crybaby quarterback who whines whenever he gets his name involved in trade talks. Even the best players get traded, Wayne Gretzky got traded and he's the greatest hockey player of my generation, possibly ever. I have a term I like to use in my own life, get mad, then get over it. It's time for Cutler to get over it before he winds up regretting his trade request. He doesn't know just how good he's got it here. The Broncos aren't exactly worldbeaters yet, but there are other worse teams he could play for.

Yeah, like the Lions! Come to Detroit, please!

Cutler

True...in a perfect world... But once you establish yourself as the single season passing record holder for a franchise (like Denver), and you live in a city where their biggest celebrity ever used to play the same position as you (like Denver), and chasing the legacy of that guy is ALL you live for, and a young unproven coach takes it away from you...you better be pissed. As a former athlete, and current salesman, if somebody were to tamper with the best player on my team, just to TRY something out, I would be pissed. Jay Cutler cares, and athletes usually get chastised for not caring. Give him credit for not letting this play out behind closed doors. McDaniels inexperience is showing with this situation. You can tell that he McDaniels messed up when he was saying that everything was 'OK' with him and Cutler. Obviously he forgot that this isn't fantasy football, and a better QB may never show up. He could very well eff up the franchise, and his franchise player isn't going to let it happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts