I finally found my dream receiver

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
After multiple fits and starts over time I was lucky enough to finally acquire my #1 hearts desire in receivers, a Hallicrafters SX-28A (1944, 15 tubes) in excellent original, unmolested, condition. Once I go through it, it will become my SW daily driver. My S-20R will be my backup and my other boatanchors will move on to new homes.

sx28a-1.jpg

Larry

drooling here....I too have sought out that one.

Absolutely gorgeous! I bet she sounds like a dream. Please let us know how she performs!

I found a Hallicrafters at a flea market. I wanted it so bad, but I had never seen a radio in such bad shape. It looked like they fished it out of the river, and that’s exactly what it smelled like too! He wanted $60 for it because he seen this model sells for a lot more on eBay. I figured it would make me sick driving it home, let alone trying to restore it. So where did you find yours? Obviously not from the bottom of a river.

I found it, or rather it found me, through an intermediary on the Antique Radio Forum. He bought a receiver from a guy and mentioned that I was looking for an SX-28. The guy then contacted me and offered it. The price was right but I had just purchased an SX-42 two days before and was short. He offered to hold it a few days so I set out to sell a couple of my radios. I did and we completed the deal. Since I acquired the SX-28A I no longer am interested in the SX-42 (strange how things play out sometimes) so it's going to the Kutztown Radio Show in a couple of weeks and be offered for sale.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)