I got a letter from Dish today ...

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
It talked about "upgrading your older model HD receiver(s) for FREE* (Restrictions may apply)". But what really caught my eye is: "For only a penny more per month, we can upgrade your HD programming so you can start enjoying at least 23 more of the best HD national channels...". What package are they referring to when they say a penny per month? This is the first I've heard of this. I wonder if they're offering me this because I only have the $9.99 per month HD package. Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you saying you ONLY have the 9.99 package? Like the 5 channel one?

That "penny more" bit wouldn't be true if you only subscribed to the old 9.99 package.

Yes, that's all I have. I own one 811 and lease one 811. Do you know what they are talking about with the penny per month? It says, "For only a penny more per month, we can upgrade your HD programming so you can start enjoying at least 23 more of the best HD national channels, like Disney HD, ABC Family HD, Discovery HD, Travel Channel HD, and THE Weather Channel HD".

If you have the $9.99 package with an old receiver, you get about 5 channels. Those channels will NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE to your old receiver when they are changed over to MPEG4.

When you get a new receiver you have the option to change to HD Essentials which is $10 a month added to AT100, 200, 250 or America's Everything Pack. The HD Essentials package has many more HD chnanels... HOWEVER, you will lose HD Net Movies. That is in the HD Ultimate pack which is $20. HD Theater from Discovery will be gone from the guide, but for now a "Test" channel with HD Theater programming on it is available to all HD receivers for free right now.

See ya
Tony

(PS, "option to get HD Essentials" that is not to say that you also have the option to keep the old package. That old HD package is gone with your old receiver, I think)

Thanks guys, but no one has answered my question yet. What in the hell are they referring to in the letter, about the one penny more per month. I quoted the letter in my earlier posts.

Thanks guys, but no one has answered my question yet. What in the hell are they referring to in the letter, about the one penny more per month. I quoted the letter in my earlier posts.
Tony answered your question - they're referring to the HD Essentials pack.

There really is no choice for you in the matter. . .if you upgrade to the MPEG4 HD receivers, Dish will give you the HD essentials pack. If you don't, no more HD for you come August 1st.

OK, thanks. This letter is very misleading the way it's worded. I am going to upgrade my receivers, I just haven't done it yet.

If you have the $9.99 package with an old receiver, you get about 5 channels. Those channels will NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE to your old receiver when they are changed over to MPEG4.

When you get a new receiver you have the option to change to HD Essentials which is $10 a month added to AT100, 200, 250 or America's Everything Pack. The HD Essentials package has many more HD chnanels... HOWEVER, you will lose HD Net Movies. That is in the HD Ultimate pack which is $20. HD Theater from Discovery will be gone from the guide, but for now a "Test" channel with HD Theater programming on it is available to all HD receivers for free right now.

See ya
Tony

(PS, "option to get HD Essentials" that is not to say that you also have the option to keep the old package. That old HD package is gone with your old receiver, I think)

I'm still up on the old HD pack after my upgrade. They even added UNIHD to the lineup. They offered the "Ultimate pack" free for 6 months but think I can get more by waiting until I lose the current channels. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts