I got a recorded message this morning from "Dish Audits"!

Pretty simple, Dish chooses to harass their customers instead of implementing a technological solution that would actually solve the problem they are trying to address.
I assume that you have just such a technological solution in mind?

Absent that solution, it would seem that the phone line is the best option. The other option would be to set up an account for each receiver.

Well, they are now using the ethernet connection to waive the $5 fee now, but I'm not sure if those people are still up for being audited.

What was funny is when people call 4days after I lock their rcvrs wow took you awhile? or "the room the rcvrs in is locked" or " people are sleeping in the room "

What was funny is when people call 4days after I lock their rcvrs wow took you awhile? or "the room the rcvrs in is locked" or " people are sleeping in the room "
Alot of people are away from home for work sometimes for extended periods of time. ( Truck drivers, salesmen, ect ect)

I had my fair share of customers who either rented out a room or a family member had a lock on the door wich usually was about once a month.

You have no idea how many times a week I'd have an install/upgrade/sc/tc and someone was sleeping in a room I needed to get to. ( graveyard shifters are considerably more common in larger cities and cities that still have a heavy manufacturing base )

Edit:

I think you just gave away that the audit department is not a seperate department at dish but rather just something else that the csrs and tsrs do.

Absent that solution, it would seem that the phone line is the best option. The other option would be to set up an account for each receiver.
The phone line solution is worthless...just as an ethernet solution, as both can been spoofed/rerouted pretty easily to allow receivers to be in different physical locations.

Maybe they should develop some GPS technology and embed it either in the receiver (probably not good for basement dwellers) or the lnb so that the receiver can query it's position, possibly "talk" to other receivers on the same RG6 connection, and report any discrepancies along with their GPS location via encrypted communications over any single phone/ethernet connected device within the "network" (network being phone network, ethernet network, or RG6 "proprietary communication network"). Allow the installer to take GPS readings at the dish, and require the reporting system to flag any discrepancies (while allowing multiple GPS locations for systems that require multiple dishes for different receivers)

Surely if they REALLY thought it was that important to ensure the integrity of their subs, they could come up with something more reliable that a stupid phone line that really provides no means to know anything except for the last hop before the modem picks up at headquarters.

Alot of people are away from home for work sometimes for extended periods of time. ( Truck drivers, salesmen, ect ect)

I had my fair share of customers who either rented out a room or a family member had a lock on the door wich usually was about once a month.

You have no idea how many times a week I'd have an install/upgrade/sc/tc and someone was sleeping in a room I needed to get to. ( graveyard shifters are considerably more common in larger cities and cities that still have a heavy manufacturing base )

Edit:

I think you just gave away that the audit department is not a seperate department at dish but rather just something else that the csrs and tsrs do.

Actually its a completely isolated department away from TSR or CSR. Also majority of audits pass, and you are asked in depth questions assumption is not used to close accounts. For example the sleeping in the room -ok can you call back tommorrow when no ones asleep? customer says ok (they must call in from their home number) so I know he is home then he will of course have the numbers now if some one was account stacking he would have called and get the numbers from the other residence then I walk him through a couple menu's and ask for a couple more numbers and also see if he is able to navigate the menu's or if there just making it up, same story for the locked room. You can find out if the customer being truthful very easy if he cant navigate menus,ior read accurate numbers and he is supposed to be in the room with it then its quite obvious. I hope they are being truthful and I make it as easy as possible.

Maybe they should develop some GPS technology and embed it either in the receiver (probably not good for basement dwellers) or the lnb so that the receiver can query it's position, possibly "talk" to other receivers on the same RG6 connection, and report any discrepancies along with their GPS location via encrypted communications over any single phone/ethernet connected device within the "network" (network being phone network, ethernet network, or RG6 "proprietary communication network"). Allow the installer to take GPS readings at the dish, and require the reporting system to flag any discrepancies (while allowing multiple GPS locations for systems that require multiple dishes for different receivers)

Wow...

I'd leave if they were like that. I don't do account stacking but I think that's a bit too extreme.

I think DishCOMM is among the things they've started experimenting with to eliminate this. i.e. "All receivers must see each other through the same switch or the same electrical lines".

I"m sure they're working towards something, but it will be gradual.

Ya know, it sounds like anyone who has slingboxes at the "remote" receivers could easily pass an audit.

I am not an account stacker (and actually turned down someone's request to do so and set them up with a club dish referral instead) but it seems like there are a lot of sneaky ways that both sides can employ here.

Actually its a completely isolated department away from TSR or CSR. Also majority of audits pass, and you are asked in depth questions assumption is not used to close accounts. For example the sleeping in the room -ok can you call back tommorrow when no ones asleep? customer says ok (they must call in from their home number) so I know he is home then he will of course have the numbers now if some one was account stacking he would have called and get the numbers from the other residence then I walk him through a couple menu's and ask for a couple more numbers and also see if he is able to navigate the menu's or if there just making it up, same story for the locked room. You can find out if the customer being truthful very easy if he cant navigate menus,ior read accurate numbers and he is supposed to be in the room with it then its quite obvious. I hope they are being truthful and I make it as easy as possible.

I know some folks that would fail this. They have 3 receivers aren't connected to a phone line. They only have one phone in the house...it is wired and has a 20 foot cable. I'm sure the audit team would flip if they kept putting the phone down. It's a 70+ yr old couple that doesn't walk to fast.

I know some folks that would fail this. They have 3 receivers aren't connected to a phone line. They only have one phone in the house...it is wired and has a 20 foot cable. I'm sure the audit team would flip if they kept putting the phone down. It's a 70+ yr old couple that doesn't walk to fast.
I was just thinking about a similar instance that I know of. Older couple with a tv in the bedroom upstairs, a tv in the living room downstairs, a tv in the den in the basement, a tv in the garage where he frequently putters around, and one phone/line in the hallway between the kitchen and the living room. I could imagine that phone call would easily take well over a half hour or more for one of them to run to all ends of the house and back to the phone each time.. hunched over with a cane/walker going at a turtle's pace ;)

Just for starters: An authorization module between the receiver(s) and the Switch\LNB (or better yet built into the LNB). When a receiver is activated it marries itself to the module, if the receiver can't see the module or is connected to a different one, it ceases to function. One module per household.

NightRyder

I'll be honest that would suck. I go tailgating up at all the TN home games and have a separate dish (with a tripod) that I use for that. Now we are talking about 6-7 times per year so it would be pretty silly to require a separate account for that or to make me take some piece off of my home dish every weekend before I leave. That is truely one of the main reasons that I have dish. May sound silly to some of you but it's important to me!

As I recall putting down the phone is an auto-fail.

It ought to be possible for dish to download some software that tells the receivers to check for signal on a particular spot beam that they shouldn't get in their DMA and if a signal is present, to kick it off. IOW, if you are a customer in Georgia and have your friend in Las Vegas sharing the account, the receiver in Las Vegas detects a signal on 110 Spot Beam 2 (LV locals) and shuts down.

Another option would be to put in a data stream in some part of the signal and have the receivers record the signal level of that stream. Receivers which are connected to a phone line can then report back the signal level. Then all receivers on account are then told to alternately attenuate and apply gain to that particular datastream to where it is near each threshold of that receiver. Any other receivers which are outside of expected signal level then kick off. This would catch receivers which have gross differences in signal levels, which could be the result of different dishes. This should be limited to those accounts with many receivers and only one or two connected to phone lines. It won't catch all, but it would find ones with great signal discrepancies between receivers.

While this wouldn't help in all cases, it might help for many account stacks. I don't think GPS would do too well if it were two next-door neighbors who were account stacking, unless that thing was pretty sensitive or their dishes were pretty far apart. Even the DishComm setup wouldn't prevent next door neighbors who are served by the same power transformer as homeplug networks can carry over that far.

I was under the impression that the newer receivers that D* and E* have somehow communicate
with each other at the same location? Am I imagining this?

I was under the impression that the newer receivers that D* and E* have somehow communicate
with each other at the same location? Am I imagining this?

DishComm is available in all ViP receivers. However, the network they use to communicate is the power lines. Neighbors who are on the same power transformer could end up on the same network. This is the vulnerability of homeplug technology. Theoretically, if two neighbors served by the same power transformer were doing account stacking, DishComm could possibly still see other receivers even at the neighbors house.

It ought to be possible for dish to download some software that tells the receivers to check for signal on a particular spot beam that they shouldn't get in their DMA and if a signal is present, to kick it off. IOW, if you are a customer in Georgia and have your friend in Las Vegas sharing the account, the receiver in Las Vegas detects a signal on 110 Spot Beam 2 (LV locals) and shuts down.

Another option would be to put in a data stream in some part of the signal and have the receivers record the signal level of that stream. Receivers which are connected to a phone line can then report back the signal level. Then all receivers on account are then told to alternately attenuate and apply gain to that particular datastream to where it is near each threshold of that receiver. Any other receivers which are outside of expected signal level then kick off. This would catch receivers which have gross differences in signal levels, which could be the result of different dishes. This should be limited to those accounts with many receivers and only one or two connected to phone lines. It won't catch all, but it would find ones with great signal discrepancies between receivers.

While this wouldn't help in all cases, it might help for many account stacks. I don't think GPS would do too well if it were two next-door neighbors who were account stacking, unless that thing was pretty sensitive or their dishes were pretty far apart. Even the DishComm setup wouldn't prevent next door neighbors who are served by the same power transformer as homeplug networks can carry over that far.

And if any of those options were implemented, they would play hell with all of those customers that have "moved" - since the GPS wouldn't match what the service address is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)