I got a recorded message this morning from "Dish Audits"!

It ought to be possible for dish to download some software that tells the receivers to check for signal on a particular spot beam that they shouldn't get in their DMA and if a signal is present, to kick it off.
The account stacking issues aren't limited to people on opposite coasts. The original offenders were those who subscribed to residential service and took their setups to work. Some spotbeams cover upwards of 8,000 square miles. While this answers the question of opposite coasters, it is only a partial solution.

The real solution probably involves GPS and some sort of LNB serial number addressing scheme, but that would take months to implement and years to install.

If they would implement a receiver / whole home server then they would not have this issue. Just add a tuner each time you need one. Need more memory or more hard drive space? Add another module to the box. If another box is needed then make it connect to the first one to become active. Each customer could have one card/chip and all tuners would receive authorization through it.

Some of their "audit" people are doing it to harass the customers. There can be no other reason sometimes. I had ONE receiver and they still called me a few times, even after 11pm. I'm soooo glad I cancelled. Dish does not respect their customers.

They could build a GSM module into the receivers and partner with a cell company to use that network for report back. Kick any receivers not communicating from the same cell tower.

Profit Counterpoint: The cost of implementing a global or national technology (including research and development,) and then installation over a customer base of 13.6(?) million. Let's assume the modules cost $50 a piece... Yeah, I don't see this happening.