I Got it...Finally Got it...

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
...a notice on my front door stating Verizon FIOS will soon be in my neighborhood. As some of you may recall, I was a chair-member of CableChoiceNow.org...an organization who advocated changing Commonwealth (Virginia) law to encourage fair cable competition. The law passed in 2006 and my County awarded Verizon a Cable TV franchise in October 2006. The initial build area was 3-miles away from our home. Of course, here were are almost 7-years later and Verizon is finally building out the two Central Offices in my part of the County along with running fiber, etc.

Why did it take so long and why now? To be honest, Verizon spent their time and money building out more profitable markets in Northern Virginia and more political markets in Richmond. Beyond the Initial Build Area, there was nothing to force Verizon to build-out other areas of the County...until now. There is a 7-year Build requirement and a 10-year Build requirement. Verizon needs to offer service to 60% of eligible residences in the County that meet the population density. Since more than 40% of County residence live in the two aforementioned Central Offices, Verizon needs to move their crews into the area and wire the subdivisions like crazy. That's really not a problem since they'll have six months to do it.

Regardless, I'm not sure that I'll bite on FiOS offer unless it's a real good one. Why? Because our primary home is now in Dallas and we've had FiOS (still paying a promotional rate) since March 2008. I've been working back in Virginia more than half my time and stay in our VA home. I've had Comcast and they really improved since I returned. Plus, I've been paying a promotional rate of $119 per month for the XFinity double-play (Digital Premiere w/HBO, SHO, MAX, STARZ, Sports Package, and 30/10 Internet). I can renew this package on 1 June or go with FiOS. There's just something wrong with paying FiOS twice for the same Internet and Channel lineup.

Anyway, it's nice to have an additional choice. :)

I wish I had FIOS as an option. Here in CT the only town with it is Greenwich.

I wish I had FIOS as an option. Here in CT the only town with it is Greenwich.

Is Verizon your local Telco? If so, when the economy picks-up Verizon will probably evaluate expanding service and seeking Cable TV franchise agreements. Until then, they have another 3-4 years of building out existing service areas. As long as they continue to add 50K+ customers each month, I don't think anything will change.

They began "engineering" our small development last month. We haven't received any notices yet, but when I put in my address on their website, it says their FiOS Service is now available. I've have both Cablevision & DirecTV, but I'm ready to make the switch.

Fios is no longer building out unless they made a commitment to do so earlier when they got a franchise area. So depending on that people may or may not ever see Fios. And it will come as no surprise if/when they decide to sell it off and leave the cable business. I think the PQ is very good the times I have seen it at neighbors house in Fl, BUT - his bill was high compared to other options and he eventually switched and claims he is saving quite alot.

http://stopthecap.com/2012/09/25/ve...nt-franchise-obligations-cfo-tells-investors/

Crews were out early marking the property this morning. I imagine they will be burying cable the next few days. Quick question, will Verizon run fiber to the home or only if I order FiOS and they install the ONT? We've had FiOS at our home in Dallas since March 2008 and love it. However, I work half my time in DC an stay in our Virginia home (the one in question) the past 2-1/2 years. Comcast has actually been pretty reliable since I returned, and they keep renewing my special discount price or else I would be Internet only and watch antenna TV. I don't think Verizon can touch the $119 Double Play (30/10Mb Internet and Digital Premiere (all digital channels to include HBO, MAX, SHO, STZ, TMC and Sports). As much as I love FiOS, I might just stay with Comcast. We shall see.

IIRC, after they laid the lines in front of my house, it was 1-2 months before I could actually get it installed. They don't run a line to your house until you order. But boy, what an impressive toy they have for that! Tunneled 50' or so from the curb box to my house, UNDER my shed and hit a spot about 4" across, completely surrounded by concrete and brick.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They must be using this toy. :D

digdug.jpg

As much as I would love to have FiOS, there is just something extremely distasteful about paying Verizon for service on two homes, without a significant discount. I'll talk to them and see if they will give me Ultimate HD for the price of Select HD since I am not going to pay for the same channels twice. I would just as soon give the money to Comcast...especially with the discount they're providing. We shall see.

IIRC, after they laid the lines in front of my house, it was 1-2 months before I could actually get it installed. They don't run a line to your house until you order. But boy, what an impressive toy they have for that! Tunneled 50' or so from the curb box to my house, UNDER my shed and hit a spot about 4" across, completely surrounded by concrete and brick.

They must be using this toy. :D

digdug.jpg

As much as I would love to have FiOS, there is just something extremely distasteful about paying Verizon for service on two homes, without a significant discount. I'll talk to them and see if they will give me Ultimate HD for the price of Select HD since I am not going to pay for the same channels twice. I would just as soon give the money to Comcast...especially with the discount they're providing. We shall see.

I would seriously be talking to Verizon about consolidating your accounts if you use them in both and expect a huge discount ... I'm sure this has happened before with them or other companies, they can't really expect you to buy it twice, can they ?

I would seriously be talking to Verizon about consolidating your accounts if you use them in both and expect a huge discount ... I'm sure this has happened before with them or other companies, they can't really expect you to buy it twice, can they ?

I doubt it will work with Verizon since I'm actually dealing with two different companies...Verizon Texas and Verizon Virginia LLC. I'll give it a try, but I get the feeling that I will just continue with the Comcast discount, which is actually pretty darn good.

Well, they laid fiber in front of out house this morning. We have a 3 acre lot (probably 200+ ft. frontage if I had to guess) and they were here and gone to the next house in less than an hour. I took a picture of the cable staged at the end of the cul de sac two houses away.

Attachments

• IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
That is the conduit not the cable. After the conduit then they will pull the fiber in. The air compressor is likely either for the missile tool they are using to put in the conduit or for blowing the mule tape into the conduit (if they bought the kind without which people dont really do any more..) My guess is since there was no bore machine just the compressor they are using a "missile" to do the bore then will pull the conduit through.

That is the conduit not the cable. After the conduit then they will pull the fiber in. The air compressor is likely either for the missile tool they are using to put in the conduit or for blowing the mule tape into the conduit (if they bought the kind without which people dont really do any more..) My guess is since there was no bore machine just the compressor they are using a "missile" to do the bore then will pull the conduit through.

I could hear a compressor running down the block much of the time and people periodically walking up and down the block. I don't see them anywhere today, but I'll elsewhere in the subdivision at lunch. Regardless, it looks like they're done on my block...not there's only the sound of cicadas. I imagine we'll be able to order service in the next month or two.

FiOS install scheduled for June 7th. I better start watching the 75 or so programs I DVR'd before I call DirecTV. Any suggestions on how to possibly get those recordings onto my pc or hard drive?

Real time recording to a DVD burner.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Install completed in under 3 hours. Liking the internet (75/35), haven't used the phone yet, and the picture quality is just okay so far. I've been experiencing a lot of picture break up since install. I will be calling tomorrow to see if this can be fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)