I hate to be a prick but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_snerdly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
"There" and "their" have different meanings, as well as "where" and "were".

or anything satellite related. Might want to try ProperEnglishguys.us. :)

on a lighter note, since I grew up with an english teacher for a mother, it grinds me at times too.

I'm so sick of spelling checkers. Who the hell cares how a word is spelled as long as we understand what is meant. This isn't an English/Spelling class/forum the last time I checked.:mad:

Last edited:
mr_snerdly said:
"There" and "their" have different meanings, as well as "where" and "were".

Lean to deal with it or move on. Spelling/Grammar cops aren't appreciated here.

NightRyder

but you also closed it which isn't necessary. I on the other hand do appreciate people pointing out spelling and grammar mistakes. I don't like the attitude that it's okay to be an ignorant bad speller either. Good spelling and grammar is key to intelligent communication.

thiggin2 said:
I'm so sick of spelling checkers. Oh the hell cares how a word is spelled as long as we understand what is meant. This isn't an English/Spelling class/forum the last time I checked.:mad:

I actually agree with you. Nothing burns me more than when a slight spelling or grammar error is missed, and people don't take you seriously because of it. However, I think some people on this board really aren't aware of the difference in meaning as they are continually mis-used. Like I said, it isn't that big of a deal, for the first 100 times; but come on...... I am not breaking out a dictionary here.

I don't think people on this board are unintelligent, or don't know what they are talking when it comes to satellite tv because of this. Clearly they know their stuff. I just thought I would make a public service announcement.

I sooo am not the best speller and grammer person here.... I get reemed for it all the time.. ;) but that doesnt mean that im stupid.. Im actally really smart.. just not in an english way :)

But because of your spelling and grammar I perceive you to be stupid... Also a education at DeVry isn't helping much ;)

Edit: Whoops bfg thought I hit the quote button :) sorry. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
goaliebob99 said:
I sooo am not the best speller and grammer person here.... I get reemed for it all the time.. ;) but that doesnt mean that im stupid.. Im actally really smart.. just not in an english way :)
Some of the smartest people I know have no clue about spelling and punctuation, and don't care to learn. Most of them are engineers and mathematicians, who knew their calling very early in life, and concentrated only on their career track. That's why we have Technical Writers (and they make a good living, too). I was lucky enough to have decided on engineering after 2 years of accounting in college and 8 years in the service, so I managed to avoid that trap.

BFG said:
But because of your spelling and grammar I perceive you to be stupid... Also a education at DeVry isn't helping much ;)

Edit: Whoops bfg thought I hit the quote button :) sorry. :)

Ouch... :D.... This is some work that im working on.. Its apart of my english class. (yes they do general ed there too) this was after revising 3 times.. Proof reading, Buddy checking, and everything else :) this is one part of my whole reaserch on dtv. By the time Im done with this I will have a total of 5 essay papers like this that will become one huge paper :)

Attachments

• What is digital television.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 201
goaliebob99 said:
Ouch... :D.... This is some work that im working on.. Its apart of my english class. (yes they do general ed there too) this was after revising 3 times.. Proof reading, Buddy checking, and everything else :) this is one part of my whole reaserch on dtv. By the time Im done with this I will have a total of 5 essay papers like this that will become one huge paper :)
Good paper, Bob. Minor formatting errors, and "broadcasted" is not a word. :)

mdonnelly said:
Some of the smartest people I know have no clue about spelling and punctuation, and don't care to learn. Most of them are engineers and mathematicians, who knew their calling very early in life, and concentrated only on their career track.

Isn't that the truth. An electrical engineer where I used to work had me proof read his memos and letters all the time. He was very good at his job but couldn't spell or punctuate worth a damn. That fact didn't change my opinion of him, unlike others I don't judge someone's intelligence based solely on their writing skill. :D ;)

NightRyder

My wife the English major / theater minor is a Dartmouth grad and I get teased and corrected all the time - even some of our home-schooled kids have started.:rolleyes:

Me, however is a GED / night-school guy with my own business that supports all 10 of us in pretty good shape:D and at 59, I got over being kidded about my grammar, spelling and vocabulary.

Edit: By the way, I meant to say "me is":)

I hear you Bob!

When it comes to grammar, I suck! I type how I think so there is no real structure behind it. Spelling mistakes with me are common since I have never understood the whys and wheres. English is so convoluted that words can be spedded from Latin, Spanish, French, Greek, Germanic or phonetic roots.

After having said that, the misuse of words (not a misspelling but using the worng word) always makes me stop and reread the sentence to make sure what the writer meant.

There, Their, They're
Here, Hear
Affect, Effect.

There = A place that's not here
Their = Belonging to them
They're = A contraction of the two words "They are"

Here = (noun) A place that's not there
Hear = (Verb) The act of recognizing/reacting to a sound.

Affect is most commonly used as a verb
effect is most commonly used as a noun
Something affects you or others.
You feel something's effects

Even when these two words are "switched" they always mean different things. "Affect savings" means to have an impact on money. "Effect savings" means an action to create more income or positively impact savings.
You can effect change by taking actions which will have a possitive effect. This will affect many people. :)

But now I', getting nit-picky.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
I'm from a foreing country and I never though that I was gonna see this topic on any of the forums...... but like I alwais do everytime I check this site... I'm learning someting new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)