I have a dilema about component and HDMI..

coldblood2k7

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 20, 2007

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 7, 2005
I see the same thing - component always has a more natural feel on my plasma (and my CRT before that) and I definitely prefer it. Maybe it's like when CDs came out and some thought they were sterile and harsh compared to vinyl. I don't think anything's wrong with your HDMI - it's just a different kind of HD picture.

pabeader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 18, 2004
OTP Georgia
Plus, there are different version of HDMI, if Dish is using an older revision, the picture could have a lower PQ value then component cables.

Whereas the PS3 would definatly be using the newer Rev stuff.

Looking at the pictures, I see that the HDMI has a better content quality. Look at the herringbone pattern in Stillers face on the component version. My guess is you might have better quality component cable then HDMI. What I see is a saturation difference between the two pics. My wife would love the HDMI picture BTW, she hate good color saturation. All you should have to do is bump the Color level up a touch and the two would look the same.

Last edited:

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Many assume HDMI provides a superior PQ when in fact, it does not necessarily. Both my HD sets and receivers are hooked up component which look better to me. Regarding you pics, you should be able to adjust the inputs on your TV to match each other pretty closely.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Plus, there are different version of HDMI, if Dish is using an olderr revision, the picture could have a lower PQ value then component cables.
No. Newer version would have zero effect on 1080i output.

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
For my Sony LCD I had to calibrate each input separately. When I compare the settings for my HD DVD player through component and Bluray through HDMI they are different (some significantly) even though the picture looks very similar.

Does the Vizio have separate input settings??

sundaddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 7, 2008
I also have a Vizio, mine is 720p, I don't know if yours is, but and I did some research and from what I understand setting the DVR output to 720p is superior to a 1080i output. From the way I understand it 1080i is effectively 540p because of being interlaced. I hope this helps your picture. Apparently, the scale goes 1080p is best, then 720p, then 1080i.

Dirtydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 5, 2004
Susanville,Ca.
I have same effect as op, except that the HDMI is more washed out then his picture shows. I have used component from the start for my Vip722, I use HDMI for HdDvd, it is not washed out.
Dan

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
I also have a Vizio, mine is 720p, I don't know if yours is, but and I did some research and from what I understand setting the DVR output to 720p is superior to a 1080i output. From the way I understand it 1080i is effectively 540p because of being interlaced. I hope this helps your picture. Apparently, the scale goes 1080p is best, then 720p, then 1080i.
Where are you going for your research????????????????

sampatterson

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Marietta, GA
I would try calibrating color on the different inputs, if your set allows it. Your component input may have a different color/sharpness/contrast/gamma, etc setting than your hdmi. Thus giving it a different quality.

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
What I want to know, is my HDMI port on my VIP622 busted? Or is it just my eyes?

Thanks...
Thats not unheard of . Rather quite common. Last I checked My D* system looks better to me with component rather then HDMI. Not much but a little. But I still use HDMI because 1 wire vs 4-5. Less messy. My E* receiver I can't really tell a difference.

sundaddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 7, 2008
I am not an expert, but apparently this guy is. Just passing it along. Paste this search into youtube, because I don't have enough posts to paste a URL.

720p vs 1080i HD Explained

maronda4

Jul 22, 2008
I was told that same thing. 720p is supposed to be better than the 1080i.
I have one of each, but have not compared anything yet.

pabeader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 18, 2004
OTP Georgia
In real usage, it's hard to tell the difference. A place to look for a noticable difference would be almost horizontal lines. 720p will show hardly no jaggy spots. 1080i will show a few. I call it 'roping' it makes a straight line/edge look like rope. At 'normal' veiwing distances, the effect is usually not even noticable. by normal I mean the distance considered optimal by the spec.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts