I have a VOIP question?

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
I want to get Voip probably packet 8 because i can keep my same number. I want to hook up two phones and three DISH receivers. Can this be done and what is the easiest way. I don't mind buying wireless devices for my dishnet receivers.

To make your whole house "VoIP hot". This assumes no POTS at all.

1. Go out to your home's phone service box and unplug the RJ-11 line.

2. Post some duct tape over that connection with a sign "Do Not Connect; VoIP in Use!"

3. Take the OUT port of your VoIP adapter and plug it directly into the nearest telephone wall jack.

4. Test all the other phone jacks, they should now all be hot with VoIP.

The ones I am looking at are:

10/15 @ DEN
11/19 @ KC
11/26 @ SD

I thought I was going to the AZ game on 10/22 but then when thefull sched came out I noticed it was a home game. If I get to any home games they would be:

9/11 vs SD
10/29 vs PIT
12/23 vs KC

The sched looks tough.

charper1 said:
The ones I am looking at are:

10/15 @ DEN
11/19 @ KC
11/26 @ SD

I thought I was going to the AZ game on 10/22 but then when thefull sched came out I noticed it was a home game. If I get to any home games they would be:

9/11 vs SD
10/29 vs PIT
12/23 vs KC

The sched looks tough.

Yes it does look tough! I am going to the 10/29 Pit and 12/23 Kc.

Did your whole house VoIP work out?

Yep, being a Raider fan in Phoenix makes it tough when the games I want to see coincide with holidays or family events, but the wife doesn't want to live in the SFO/OAK area. Other than the beach, we feel we get a better quality of life at a much more reasonable cost; and the weather is awesome year round; 310 days + of sun. But that's us.

charper1 said:
Did your whole house VoIP work out?

Yep, being a Raider fan in Phoenix makes it tough when the games I want to see coincide with holidays or family events, but the wife doesn't want to live in the SFO/OAK area. Other than the beach, we feel we get a better quality of life at a much more reasonable cost; and the weather is awesome year round; 310 days + of sun. But that's us.

Oh yea i agree my wife is the same way. We live here in a small valley but life is really good for us. I could make so much more money in the bay but can't see raising my Boys there.

Anyway i did not try the Voip yet i just paid for packet8 last night on the computer. I am pretty sure it will work! I have a buddie that works for Qwest and he said it will. Thank you for the answer and will let you know when i get the packet 8 setup.

charper1 said:
To make your whole house "VoIP hot". This assumes no POTS at all.

1. Go out to your home's phone service box and unplug the RJ-11 line.

2. Post some duct tape over that connection with a sign "Do Not Connect; VoIP in Use!"

3. Take the OUT port of your VoIP adapter and plug it directly into the nearest telephone wall jack.

4. Test all the other phone jacks, they should now all be hot with VoIP.

This what I did too after I got SunRocket. It works great. I still use 3 cordless phones with my wired phones.

BryanSR

I did the same thing with my SunRocket service back in April. It works perfectly for all seven wall jacks (4 phone and 3 Dish Network receivers). In our case, we probably have eight 900Mhz and 2400Mhz cordless phones and spending another $100-$200 on new wireless phones didn't make much sense.

charper1 said:
Amen VoIP brother; enjoy the savings. Be sure to read the FAQ on e911 and what, if anything you need to do or fill out.

Ok thank you and will do! Only problem i am having is my dish receivers will not dial out but caller id works.?

I do not know much about that; only my main/den DirecTV is on a phone line and it works; as well as my fax; my DVRs are all ethernet connected. I have read something about using a "magic *99 prefix, DSL filter and/or lowering the baud rate to 4800 or 9600, or something.

Packet8 e911: http://www.packet8.net/about/e911.asp

Also, verify your adapters firmware version vs the website; 1/3 down. http://www.packet8.net/support/faqs/
"Upgrades (For existing and future service enhancements) - Packet8 Adapters (Residential Service Only!)"

Another, as with any VoIP adapter, be sure to give it a static IP if you are using a router. Router should be DHCP enabled. Not required, but better IMHO.

Last edited:
C&P ideas: I was cool right out of the bo, so I don't know if these work nor have I tested them.

Step 1: Reduce baud rate to 9600 or lowest possible (probably 2400)
Step 2: Disable error correction (ECM)
Step 3: Disable bandwidth saver by adding *99 - (countrycode-areacode-number)
Step 4: Verify your network security settings or network setup.

If your VoIP router sits behind another router in your network, continue reading.

Step 4 (cont):

So your VoIP router sits behind another router in your network and you cannot send/receive. You will want to disable all security settings like MAC filters, firewalls, etc.

Try to send/receive. If you can send/receive, apply the security settings back one by one to determine which security setting was preventing you from sending/receiving.

If you still can't send/receive open up the following ports on your router:

Range setting (10000-20000)

At this point you should be able to send/receive.

If you cannot, proceed to step 5.

Step 5: Reconfigure your network so that the VoIp router is not sitting behind another router.

Try to send/receive. If you are still unable to send/receive the problem is not with your non-Vonage router.

Notes:
When making changes to your network configuration, make sure that you power everything off, and then start up in sequential order. For example, power on your modem, then your router, then your VoIP, etc...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)