I have COX HSI and split the cable to my TV. worked for 2 years now the cable is out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJboozeAlot

Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
ocala, fl
I have cox HSI and i have split the cable for the internet so that one goes into my TV and the other to my computer. this gave me some basic channels (2-70 something). i have had it set up like this for about 2 years with no problems.

about 3 days ago i came home from work and all every channel was gone, except for 66-71. just static on the rest, even the basic channels like NBC were all gone. my internet works fine.

anyone know what could be the problem?

well what about the channels you DO get for free, like nbc, abc, etc? those are gone. and they didnt filter out mtv and a few other channels that would come with a basic cable package

i just went outside and follwed my cable line from where it enters the house, to a "pole" on the roof where it then goes accross the street to a telephone pole. i did not see any filter or anything in-line between the point it enters the house and the "pole" on the roof. i would think it would be fairly easy to spot if they just put a filter on the line, since it would look new

where do they normally connect these filters? or is there anything else it could possibly be?

Could be at the tap, or in a box on the side of your house. The tap could be up on the pole. The filter is a small cylindar like device. I have seen some hugh ones, and others are pretty small.

Assuming you're just paying for broadband Internet, they probably placed a filter on your line. Assuming you subscribe to both basic cable and broadband Internet, they probably accidentally placed a filter on your line.

Cable channels are nothing more than 6Mhz chunks of radio frequency (RF) being sent down the physical cable. An analog channels occupies the entire 6Mhz frequency, and traditional analog channels are typically in the range of 2-99. Channels 100 and above are usually digital. Using QAM256 encoding, there is a little more 38Mb of usable bandwidth in one 6Mhz frequency, in which most cable companies stuff 8 or more standard digital (SD) channels or 2 or 3 high definition (HD) channels using time division multiplexers.

For example, in my area:

• Analog channel 2 will suck up an entire 6Mhz RF
  • HDNet, HDNet Movies, and local Fox HD will share one 6Mhz RF (78)
  • Fox: physical channel 78.1 --> remapped to channel 705
  • HDNet: physical channel 78.2 --> remapped to channel 770
  • HDNet Movies: physical channel 78.3 --> remapped to channel 771
As you can see, supporting these analog channels is limiting their deployment of HD...not to mention the need for more and faster broadband Internet access.

I live near the end of the end of our subdivision. I haven't had cable TV for years, but I do have cable broadband since they are the only providers in the area (1/2 mile too far for DSL). It's been the same ole' story for almost six years:

1. Service is unfiltered since the filters seem to cause problems with our Internet service since we're at one of the further points (relays, connections, etc.) from our cable headend. We get all the crappy cable channels 2-99 that we don't need, nor do we watch since we have Dish Network, Star Choice (Canadian Satellite), and two OTA antennas.

2. Semi-annually they audit and adjust the taps (the locked boxes on the easement) and occasionally someone will fail to read the notes on my account and place a filter on the line. My Internet service may die that day, experience performance issues, or work fine until it fails a month or two down the road. Invariably we can always trace the source of failure back to someone placing a filter on the line, placing the wrong type of filter on the line, etc.

3. In most cases, the filter will block the RF being for analog cable only, and it will not impact the RF used for broadband Internet (both downlink and uplink) nor potentially any of the digital channels since those are already encrypted...with the exception of local broadcast HD channels, which are typically passed through without encryption. In this case, just plug the cable into your HDTV (assuming you have a built in ATSC tuner) and it should work.

4. Anyway, the cable techs will always wind up removing the filter from my line since it's too

Do you have a digital cable ready HDTV? If so, just plug in the cable and if you're able to receive your HD locals then you'll be 100% sure someone placed a filter on the line.

Or they went all digital, or mostly digital.

All the old analog bandwidth now supports alot more room for internet and digital channels for their cable boxes.

Guys... what's the difference here? If he was asking why his Coolsat receiver can't get Dish Network anymore you would have been all over him.

If he's paying and not getting the service, well that's different.

i'm only paying for cable internet, not TV. i understand that they filtered out the cable channels i was getting but now i don't even get the regular channels that you get for free like NBC and ABC.

here's a few pictures of the "pole" i was talking about on the roof, i dont know the actual name for it so excuse me for that. i do see a cylinder type thing, could that be the filter?

cabletv0cy8.jpg

cabletv1dj9.jpg

cabletv2bh6.jpg

i'm only paying for cable internet, not TV. i understand that they filtered out the cable channels i was getting but now i don't even get the regular channels that you get for free like NBC and ABC.

You don't get any cable channel for free ..
If you call them you will find that they will be more than happy to sell you a "local" package which will get you your "free" channels.

I can't remember exact pricing - but here in Tulsa its something like $15 per month for locals only ... and for "basic" cable - channels 2 up to about 70 they want around $30 per month.

You can get "free" channels Over-the-air with the right antenna

:)

Guys... what's the difference here? If he was asking why his Coolsat receiver can't get Dish Network anymore you would have been all over him.

If he's paying and not getting the service, well that's different.

we did not know for sure until his most recent post.

closing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)