I hope Charlie was watching South Park last night!

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
If you missed it, they did a great send-up of Blockbuster video and the people who don't realize that renting DVDs has gone the way of the dodo. Yeah, I know he supposedly bought it for other reasons (which didn't work out either), but all I could think during the episode was what a colossal mistake it was. Of course I--and many others on this board--called it that from Day 1. Anyway, it was a funny episode and worth watching--especially for those of us that follow Dish IMHO.

You might have thought it was silly for him to buy Blockbuster, but he has made money from it. So I guess it wasnt a bad buy at all.

I will however have to set the DVR to catch the episode. :D

Yes, I'm missing the collossal mistake... The business was in financial failure, he has made some money from it, and do we know what the net worth is if he sells everything, not as a going business? He's has quite alot of streaming spectrum......

Well, I don't think it was a mistake. Thanks to having a store within a mile from my home, I'm getting 2 discs a week in addition to the 21 channels for $10. And Dish is making money on it to boot. Win-win for everyone involved. I do a lot of streaming, but the "death of discs" is still way premature.

And Scott, you don't have a timer set-up for South Park? Although, this fall's episodes have pretty much been just ok so far.

The fact that you can stream the episode from their website so quickly demonstrates that not only are discs dead (or becoming that way soon), but traditional broadcast television is going to change more in the next decade that in all previous decades combined.

Maybe Dish made money--maybe they didn't. Accountants can make the numbers say what they want them to say. The fact is, it was/is a dying business.

Charlie said: “You make a lot of mistakes in business...I don’t think Blockbuster is going to be a mistake, but it’s unclear if that’s going to be a transformative decision.”

To me, that just says that it *IS* a mistake and that Charlie refuses to admit it. Anything that takes the time/energy of a merger and doesn't greatly increase profitability can be seen as a mistake.

No to me that Charlie is saying maybe it wasnt the best purchase of my life, but I am not losing money on it though.

He wanted to use them as Cell Phone and DISH Network customer service centers. But his mobile plans are delayed and like you says discs are dying so to expensive to keep them open for a product that may be 2 or more years away or may never come.

Time magazine predicted that DVD rental stores would all but be gone by this decade and they predicted that over 20 years ago. They were right. Mostly people that still rent dvds are those with DISH-Blockbuster @home pass and a lot of people who like cheap prices with REdbox . I say digital is the future as well as the present for a lot of people. by the end of this decade I don't see physical dvds being around anymore. Of course this would depend on how much broadband spreads through the country. IF we still don't have wide access to broadband internet across the country by the end of this decade, then dvds will still have window across the rural areas. I personally hope that streaming digital is the way we all move to and away from the physical dvds or blu rays. Music has already moved to digital for the most part and movies are next.

And it was indeed a brilliant episode! I know so many people like that (mid 50s) who can't grasp the streaming concept. Investing $10K in a Blockbuster....yeeeesh! :D

Time magazine predicted that DVD rental stores would all but be gone by this decade and they predicted that over 20 years ago. They were right. Mostly people that still rent dvds are those with DISH-Blockbuster @home pass and a lot of people who like cheap prices with REdbox . I say digital is the future as well as the present for a lot of people. by the end of this decade I don't see physical dvds being around anymore. Of course this would depend on how much broadband spreads through the country. IF we still don't have wide access to broadband internet across the country by the end of this decade, then dvds will still have window across the rural areas. I personally hope that streaming digital is the way we all move to and away from the physical dvds or blu rays. Music has already moved to digital for the most part and movies are next.

One problem, We do not have unlimited broad band access. I expect that in the near future internet access will be charged on a per use bases. In other words the average cost to get on the net will be around $200.00 per month thus making the come back of video stores a sure thing.

I expect that in the near future internet access will be charged on a per use bases. In other words the average cost to get on the net will be around $200.00 per month thus making the come back of video stores a sure thing.

Is this Randy Marsh? :)

That is pretty far-fetched. I always hesitate to use words like "never", but I think that this is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to happen.

One problem, We do not have unlimited broad band access. I expect that in the near future internet access will be charged on a per use bases. In other words the average cost to get on the net will be around $200.00 per month thus making the come back of video stores a sure thing.

So you're saying that the cell phone companies will be the only providers of broadband?

I believe the day of unlimited broadband is nearing if not already here. So depending on how much you spend on broadband, will seal the fate of disks or possible make a mini comback. AT&T CEO has said "DSL is obsolete" in 2011 and looks set to concentrate on the cashcow wireless portion of the business. Metered plans will be the factor for many people will consider. If you watch alot of movies, a metered plan will be sucked up pretty quick, and will you will be forced to choose. The new movies, to me are not cheap to rent or buy. Right now I can rent for about 4 bucks per viewing or I can buy for 20 bucks(blu-ray) get a free digital copy and watch as much as i want with no metering!That plus the US does not like change. Look how long it took us to convert to HDTV!(Although it was mostly the goverment). I remember reading about HDTV in the 80's, yet it is just now in the last 5 years become the normal for networks. Maybe I am wierd but I like to buy disks, including CDs. I feeel the quality of both is still better than downloading. I know you will say am crazy, but there it is!

And it was indeed a brilliant episode! I know so many people like that (mid 50s) who can't grasp the streaming concept. Investing $10K in a Blockbuster....yeeeesh! :D

I grasp buffering problems and having to depend that the computer the movie is streaming from is operational and pray it stays that way or the movie isn't removed by the hands of who knows who. AMC's streaming of The Walking Dead a couple weeks ago on premiere night worked out SO well.

I'll take renting physical any day!

I'll take renting physical any day!

I've had MUCH fewer problems watching Netflix on my AppleTV that I do with scratched discs at the local video store. Not to mention the fact that I can decide to watch a movie and not have to get in th ecar, spend gas, spend time, HOPE they have it in stock, etc. I just don't understand why people would still do that if they have reliable broadband.

I might buy a disc I want to keep, but I would not go to the trouble to rent one any longer.

For me, if it's good enough to follow, it's good enough to own. I can record from streaming or other delivery mechanism, but it's usually not worth my time and effort compared to just buying the discs.

The fact that you can stream the episode from their website so quickly demonstrates that not only are discs dead (or becoming that way soon), but traditional broadcast television is going to change more in the next decade that in all previous decades combined.

Maybe Dish made money--maybe they didn't. Accountants can make the numbers say what they want them to say. The fact is, it was/is a dying business.

Charlie said: “You make a lot of mistakes in business...I don’t think Blockbuster is going to be a mistake, but it’s unclear if that’s going to be a transformative decision.”

To me, that just says that it *IS* a mistake and that Charlie refuses to admit it. Anything that takes the time/energy of a merger and doesn't greatly increase profitability can be seen as a mistake.

There isn't a stream in the world that compares to a Blu-Ray with Dolby TrueHD or DTS sound to say nothing of the picture quality.

Having said that, I do use and enjoy Netflix streaming, mostly for older TV shows.

There isn't a stream in the world that compares to a Blu-Ray with Dolby TrueHD or DTS sound to say nothing of the picture quality.

Having said that, I do use and enjoy Netflix streaming, mostly for older TV shows.

Exactly! Until a streaming service can offer lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master audio and match blu-ray picture quality I will be keeping my Netflix Blu-ray plan. I'm not saying I don't use netflix and amazon prime streaming but they are a long way from replacing disks for me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts