I just started installing?

I'm a Quality inspector for a local RSP, and I've tracked 30% of our service calls directly back to loose or improper fittings. Consider a 30 in-ib torque wrench an investment, along with the best prep and compression tools you can find. Discuss with your manager the benefits of a fitting and cabling class from your PPC provider. The benefits of correct tools and quality education, both properly implemented, will mean more time installing and less time on service calls. (Translated = fatter paycheck for the same hours worked, more profit for the shop!)

The 1000.4 calls for 90lbs torque on dish bolts. Try skywalker.com for tech tools on the cheap, as well as fittings,cable etc. if these are not provided. Get a flat,spade-handled shovel and sharpen the edge with a grinder or file. Use this to cut the grass and fold it back when trenching cable. When line is installed, simply refill ditch and flip the grass back over. This will leave a much cleaner ditch. Often you can't tell where the ditch was when it is done right. Speaking of fixing other people's messes, When you have to move a dish and cabling 25' or more on a trouble call, that is considered a re-install. Turn it in as such to Dish, you'll get paid more and the original installer will be backcharged. I did several of these at trouble call pay when I was new. These guys need to learn to do it right the first time, pay someone else to fix it, or get out of the business!

What type of company would make you fix other peoples piss-poor work? Do they pay you to do so? How long have you been with them? Have they always made you clean up other's work? Where are these guys? I want to avoid them if necessary.

Pay? No.. We get paid the same whether it's replacing an LNB or rewiring a crappy install in it's entirety.
The "Must broing all jobs to spec rule" has been in effect for about a year. The annpounce,ment was met with much grumbling and complaining.
It's rally a bunch of horseshit. Because Dish gets a brand new install and doesn't have to pay for it.
You cannot avoid shoddy work or lazy assed techs who don't give a crap. They are everywhere. In fact I think these guys are like gremlins. They go around in the middle of the night and mess with installs

The 1000.4 calls for 90lbs torque on dish bolts. Try skywalker.com for tech tools on the cheap, as well as fittings,cable etc. if these are not provided. Get a flat,spade-handled shovel and sharpen the edge with a grinder or file. Use this to cut the grass and fold it back when trenching cable. When line is installed, simply refill ditch and flip the grass back over. This will leave a much cleaner ditch. Often you can't tell where the ditch was when it is done right. Speaking of fixing other people's messes, When you have to move a dish and cabling 25' or more on a trouble call, that is considered a re-install. Turn it in as such to Dish, you'll get paid more and the original installer will be backcharged. I did several of these at trouble call pay when I was new. These guys need to learn to do it right the first time, pay someone else to fix it, or get out of the business!

Reinstalls? HA!!! Dish does not pay for reinstalls. CSR's will add the code, but Dish denies payment on 100% of them. So we don't bother asking for them anymore.
It could be your employer is eating the cost of the job to keep you happy.

I'm a Quality inspector for a local RSP, and I've tracked 30% of our service calls directly back to loose or improper fittings. Consider a 30 in-ib torque wrench an investment, along with the best prep and compression tools you can find. Discuss with your manager the benefits of a fitting and cabling class from your PPC provider. The benefits of correct tools and quality education, both properly implemented, will mean more time installing and less time on service calls. (Translated = fatter paycheck for the same hours worked, more profit for the shop!)

Quality inspection is one thing... nit picking is another and I've got two inspectors in my area that only nit pick on things that would NEVER cause a single problem such as stickers missing (customer takes them off and doesn't say nothing) or zip tie breaks from the cold/heat and you get hit for unsecure cable. Its stupid stuff like this that makes me hate my job. I enjoy the work, but if the inspectors would use some common sense rather than try to screw techs out of hard earned money you would have better quality and less issues cause everyone is happy!

I appreciate your courage in posting here. For it is the realm of installers.
What I am about to write is not personal. It's business.

Take this back to your bosses.
Number one and most importantly, we techs are not afriad of having our work checked. We endeavor to do quality installs and quality customer service as well. Both items are part of what we do.
We also appreciate that there is a system in place to weed out hack installers and hack compnanies.

The satcos have turned the installation side of the business into a micromanaged nightmare.
The idea of failing entire job because of stickers not being in the correct place on a remote, customers who after a 20 minute demo of hands on remote use, don't get it and at the slightest inkling call the provider which results in the installer being penalized. Customers who buy electronic equipment , can't figure out how to use it, call the provider which again results in the install tech being penalized.
The satcos have manadated we reinstall perfectly good working systems because of the slightest transgression of their rules. Rules that seem arbitrary . Rules changes that are caprcious, the penalties draconian.
There are experrinced techs, good techs leaving the business. Leaving the business over the above.
Let this serve as an example of what is and will continue to occur if the satcos continue down this path.
I have been in this business for 12 years. I am on my way out. New career.
This used to be a fun job. Meeting new people, the work, everything.
Now it's a mess.

stupid 1k4 bolts. they just break.
Really? Which ones?
The only hardware issue I've had with 1k.4's is sometimes the bolts for mounting the AZ/AL/SKEW assembly are not properly de-burred, making it difficult to spin on the nuts ,but I've not broken any.

i break them all the time. the 3 bolts on back for azimuth. i go to so many out of alignment calls for these dishes, that i make sure mine are tight. but yeah the break easily. could be because i use a socket wrench to tighten them, otherwise i end up breaking my knuckles open with the normnal wrench.

i break them all the time. the 3 bolts on back for azimuth. i go to so many out of alignment calls for these dishes, that i make sure mine are tight. but yeah the break easily. could be because i use a socket wrench to tighten them, otherwise i end up breaking my knuckles open with the normal wrench.

yep same here.. I've broken a few of those and even the elevation bolts on a 500 or 1000.2, drives me nuts to have to dig around for extra's.

hey im wanting to get into this business as an installer im about to graduate highschool and know most of the installation process, i just need to know what requirments the people would or mite have me go through

hey im wanting to get into this business as an installer im about to graduate highschool and know most of the installation process, i just need to know what requirments the people would or mite have me go through

I want out.. want my job? Its horrible man, I've never seen a business screw with their front line employee's as Dish has done over only the last 6 months. I say Dish but some of it comes from my RSP which appears greed drivin. I wouldn't get involved with this as a career if I were you.

Go to college. Get yourself a degree. FInd a good job. Live at home as long as you can to save yourself plenty of money then BUY yourself a home. DO NOT RENT if you can avoid it.
LIving on your own at such a young age isn't what it's cracked up to be.
Avoid this business at all costs.
If you insist, work and go to school at night.
But don't think of making this a career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)