I just want to add a Joey!

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
Currently, we have one Hopper w/Sling, and two Joeys. I would like to add a third Joey.
  • What are my options?
  • Do I really have to get a technician out to my house for $95?
  • All of the coax in my home arrives in one OnQ system in my closet. So, I have access to route Dish to any room that I want. Is it possible to order the hardware and install it myself to avoid the technician fee?
*Note: I don't have a PS3 in the location in which I would like to add a Joey. I did ask about a wireless Joey and was told that a technician would still have to come out for $95 and there would be a $50 piece of hardware that would need to be installed for the wireless Joey to work.
It makes little sense to me that, had I added 3 Joeys to my initial Hopper setup (I have been a customer over 10 years and was among the first to get the Hopper without Sling installed), there wouldn't be any additional fees, but now there is.

Currently, we have one Hopper w/Sling, and two Joeys. I would like to add a third Joey.
  • What are my options?
  • Do I really have to get a technician out to my house for $95?
  • All of the coax in my home arrives in one OnQ system in my closet. So, I have access to route Dish to any room that I want. Is it possible to order the hardware and install it myself to avoid the technician fee?
*Note: I don't have a PS3 in the location in which I would like to add a Joey. I did ask about a wireless Joey and was told that a technician would still have to come out for $95 and there would be a $50 piece of hardware that would need to be installed for the wireless Joey to work.
It makes little sense to me that, had I added 3 Joeys to my initial Hopper setup (I have been a customer over 10 years and was among the first to get the Hopper without Sling installed), there wouldn't be any additional fees, but now there is.
Equipment added after the initial has always included a charge. Buy a Joey from a dealer or off ebay and install it yourself if you can't do it you can still add a service call.

There are really only 2 options, do a Dish'N It Up promotion and you have to renew a contract and pay to have a tech come out to install it or just purchase one and install it yourself. Probably end up being the same cost to you but you can avoid the contract by installing yourself.

Also, I need to have a splitter at the OnQ system to get the Dish signal to the additional Joey. The coax is already ran to the room, but it's not hooked up to anything at the OnQ panel.

Dist Internet Response Team...look for Staff Members in RED on any forum main page. Most accurate and trustworthy source.

Wireless Joey requires the installation of the WAP (Wireless Access Point) to send the signal wirelessly to the Wireless Joey at your HDTV. The WAP install is a bit involved (actually very simple for a DIY'er such as you) for the common man, and Dish wants to be certain it is installed correctly rather then lose a customer because they are a poor DIY'er. DirecTV's "no wires HDTV" works the same way.

OK, here's what I have coming into the house and splitting off to my Hopper and two Joeys:
20140617_094231.jpg
TO HOST goes to the Hopper. TO CLIENT goes to the following splitter:

20140617_094137.jpg

Each OUT leads to each Joey.

If I get a 3-way splitter, can I simply hook up a third Joey and then call to activate it?

If you're able to I would do it anyway. Splitters are not expensive so I would just put in the best so there are no problems down the road. To me that's like saying that RG59 can work just fine on the Joeys as well. If you are able to put in the better specified products then why not do it. I think this is why so many people have issues with their equipment, they put the bare minimum in.

Regular (Dish approved) splitters are more than adequate for the Joey frequencies.

Regular (Dish approved) splitters are more than adequate for the Joey frequencies.

I'm not saying they're not but why not just put in the better splitter if you buying one. Now if he already has a splitter laying around the house I say go ahead. Going with a lower frequency splitter may only save a person a buck or two.

You want to make sure it is a splitter that doesn't add a lot of decibels because that will kill your moca signal, if you can keep with a holland splitter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts