I keep losing 105

Robhub

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I have a 510 and a 301 receiver connected to a Superdish. I had local channels added about a year ago and they've worked perfectly since then up until about a month ago. A situation developed where the 510 would lose signal when we changed channels. I called Dish and they determined the 510 was bad and sent a replacement. It worked for a couple of days and then developed the same problem. We then discovered that the problem occured on both receivers only when we switched to a local station (satellite 105). Signal strength on the 105 when it's working is low-mid 70's, but when it drops into the high 60's the strength indicator goes red and we can't receive. This occurs no matter what the weather/sky conditions. The multiswitch, dish, and cable have all been repaced, but we still have the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Robhub said:
The multiswitch, dish, and cable have all been repaced, but we still have the same problem.QUOTE]

If all the above was replaced then the only thing I can think of is there might be a neighbors tree partially blocking the signal for the 105 satellite. On the days the signal goes out, have you noticed if the wind was blowing? If it's not a tree then check to make sure your pole is perfectly plumb. If it's out of plumb then any slight breeze can make the dish move enough to loose the signal. The 105 satellite signal is not as strong as the 110/119 that is why you need a bigger dish to pick it up. Your problem could be anything but I would check your line of sight and pole first. My other hunch would be a bad connector but if all your cables were replaced then that possibility would be much lower. Maybe someone else can chime in with their opinion.

Thanks for the ideas, but this is a new subdivision (no trees), and the dish is mounted securely to my deck (no wobble).

Robhub said:
Thanks for the ideas, but this is a new subdivision (no trees), and the dish is mounted securely to my deck (no wobble).
Can you post pictures of the Dish Mounting location and the field of view from behind the dish?

Maybe we can see or spot something in the horizon that the techs didn't notice. Thats not likely but it gives us and idea of what were looking at.

The signal on 105 should stay green and locked until it gets down to 40 or so. Does the signal fluctuate rapidly when you are having problems? If it's not windy and you have a clear line of site, check to see if any neighbors have radar detectors in their vehicles, those things will kill a 105 signal, they operate on very similar frequencies.

I have seen an issue with some satellite receivers (the 301's/311's mainly) where they would get an error on the local channels on a SuperDish (not sure if the same problem shows up with a Dish1000 yet). It seems as if it will pass a check switch but then it will not receive odd transpondered channels but will receive even transpondered channels. I think there is a defect in some of the receivers and the problem does not show up for a while (maybe a few years) in some cases. I know that the 501/508/510 receivers had an issue with the tuner going bad in them but if that was the case then you would see the issue on all of the channels but since its just on the locals I would look towards the 105 lnbf going bad. Some of the earlier ones (with the plastic/fiberglass superdishes) had bad lots of 105 lnbfs. Mine is doing the same.

even in the 60's is good strength for the 105. it sounds to me that the line coming from the 105 is loose or that you have a connector that is sucked out, or a barrel that the center is white and not blue (look at wall plates, ground blocks also)

I have to go with Batman on this one. The solution could be simple. Have you tried switching the receivers around? Put your 510 where the 301 is and see if your signal strength increases. If it does, then you have a bad cable. These things can make you pull your hair out, but hang in there, a solution will be found and it just might be something simple and cheap to resolve,,,which usually is the case.

Will a Dish500 mast work for a Dish1000?

family pack ready to go??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)