I know why the great deal on the 811!

jerryez

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
The great deal on the 811 is to keep customers from switching to Voom. A new HD receiver for $149. I was thinking about switching, but after this deal, I will stay with Dish.

J

javajedi

Dec 3, 2003
good call, i wouldn't be suprised at all if that was the thought

jerryez

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
This deal has got to be putting a dent in Voom's business.

Poke

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
OK
:) Yeah but still Dish and Direct still charge way too much overall! They should not charge for locals which is dum and they charge for extra receiver! Overall Cox is still cheaper which you dont get as much but 50-60 bucks a month for TV! WOW thats still way too high for just TV!

n0qcu

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
Poke,
If you think locals are free, try calling your cable co. and ask for the free locals.

R

Ransack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 13, 2003
Virginia
Poke said:
:) Yeah but still Dish and Direct still charge way too much overall! They should not charge for locals which is dum and they charge for extra receiver! Overall Cox is still cheaper which you dont get as much but 50-60 bucks a month for TV! WOW thats still way too high for just TV!

Hmm...unless you are getting extremely basic cable, you are probably paying $20-$30 per month (for basic!!!). so if you are comparing getting this with me paying $56 for top 150, superstations and locals, yeah i am paying more but getting a lot more in relation to what you are paying for. And, c'mon, cable quality sucks and you know it.

if you are so much against satellite providers in general, what on earth are you doing lurking around here....to me, that's "dum" ;)

BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
Hey, maybe he owns a cable company (one of the ones who isn't in jail for using it as his personal piggy bank, ahem cough Adelphia cough) and this is the best way he can come up with to try and counter the pig ads.

M

mikew

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Basic cable here is $40.00 for 80 channels. To get to 100 channels, I'd have to rent a digital box for each TV (about $9.00 per set), plus an additional $3.95 for the "Digital Tier". On just 2 TVs, cable's version of AT100 would cost $62.00 and Dish is around $45.00.

It's all a matter of choice.

dlsnyder

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
n0qcu said:
Poke,
If you think locals are free, try calling your cable co. and ask for the free locals.

That's one thing that has always bothered me about those cable ads that say "you don't pay extra for locals" with cable. They are legally obligated to provide local broadcast channels as part of their service while DBS is not. IMHO choice is a good thing. With DBS you can choose not to subscribe to locals and save some money. With cable you can't just subscribe to HBO or something like that. You have to take at least the lifeline service first which must include locals. Why doesn't satellite play up that angle as a competitive advantage?

Stargazer

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Satellite may not be playing that advantage because they may plan on doing the same thing in the future, including the locals in the basic package making it a requirement. Many local channels may also require this when the contract renews if all the local markets are up.

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
That's one thing that has always bothered me about those cable ads that say "you don't pay extra for locals" with cable.

Try calling a cable company and asking them to come hook you up so you can just watch the locals for free. :)

I bet you get the sound of a dialtone real quick.