I know why the great deal on the 811!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
The great deal on the 811 is to keep customers from switching to Voom. A new HD receiver for $149. I was thinking about switching, but after this deal, I will stay with Dish.

:) Yeah but still Dish and Direct still charge way too much overall! They should not charge for locals which is dum and they charge for extra receiver! Overall Cox is still cheaper which you dont get as much but 50-60 bucks a month for TV! WOW thats still way too high for just TV!

Poke,
If you think locals are free, try calling your cable co. and ask for the free locals.

Poke said:
:) Yeah but still Dish and Direct still charge way too much overall! They should not charge for locals which is dum and they charge for extra receiver! Overall Cox is still cheaper which you dont get as much but 50-60 bucks a month for TV! WOW thats still way too high for just TV!

Hmm...unless you are getting extremely basic cable, you are probably paying $20-$30 per month (for basic!!!). so if you are comparing getting this with me paying $56 for top 150, superstations and locals, yeah i am paying more but getting a lot more in relation to what you are paying for. And, c'mon, cable quality sucks and you know it.

if you are so much against satellite providers in general, what on earth are you doing lurking around here....to me, that's "dum" ;)

Hey, maybe he owns a cable company (one of the ones who isn't in jail for using it as his personal piggy bank, ahem cough Adelphia cough) and this is the best way he can come up with to try and counter the pig ads.

Basic cable here is $40.00 for 80 channels. To get to 100 channels, I'd have to rent a digital box for each TV (about $9.00 per set), plus an additional $3.95 for the "Digital Tier". On just 2 TVs, cable's version of AT100 would cost $62.00 and Dish is around $45.00.

It's all a matter of choice.

n0qcu said:
Poke,
If you think locals are free, try calling your cable co. and ask for the free locals.

That's one thing that has always bothered me about those cable ads that say "you don't pay extra for locals" with cable. They are legally obligated to provide local broadcast channels as part of their service while DBS is not. IMHO choice is a good thing. With DBS you can choose not to subscribe to locals and save some money. With cable you can't just subscribe to HBO or something like that. You have to take at least the lifeline service first which must include locals. Why doesn't satellite play up that angle as a competitive advantage?

Satellite may not be playing that advantage because they may plan on doing the same thing in the future, including the locals in the basic package making it a requirement. Many local channels may also require this when the contract renews if all the local markets are up.

That's one thing that has always bothered me about those cable ads that say "you don't pay extra for locals" with cable.

Try calling a cable company and asking them to come hook you up so you can just watch the locals for free. :)

I bet you get the sound of a dialtone real quick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)