I Live in San Diego and want Hawaii Locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Tell them to keep the same billing address but give them a new geographic address? Why we can't get locals in other cities is a mystery to me.

you can't get the locals because they are spotbeamed to hawaii,so if even if you used a hawaii address and live in san diego you'll get them on your guide but you won't be able to watch them,i'm from san diego and live in hawaii and i want the san diego locals but i can't get them because they are spotbeamed to s.d. hope this helps.

oh,sorry i thought your talking about dish network,i don't know about directv,if they are not spotbeamed just use somebodies address from hawaii.

you can't get the locals because they are spotbeamed to hawaii,so if even if you used a hawaii address and live in san diego you'll get them on your guide but you won't be able to watch them,i'm from san diego and live in hawaii and i want the san diego locals but i can't get them because they are spotbeamed to s.d. hope this helps.

kinda sucks doesn't it?

No, thank the networks themselves. Because each network gives their affiliate first-run rights to network programming, and because programming is subject to copyright law, the networks are insulating themselves from competition amongst themselves. Of course, when the four major networks own all their affiliates in the top four markets, they are looking out for their own interests as well.

So, you can't get a distant CBS because CBS doesn't want you to have it.

Not only are the Honolulu locals spotbeamed to Hawaii, they are on the 99 sat, so you would need a H20 to see them. In Hawaii (and Alaska, which has the same setup) the H20 is considered a standard receiver with all that entails.

I don't care about the networks, since they cancelled my distant HD networks, they can all go to h*ll. And it very just desserts that network viewership is sinking rapidly every year! I want the local newscasts from Hawaii! I miss them! Who cares about Dancing with the Stars and that crap. I just want to see what's happening on my little ole island :))

Maybe you can find something to satisfy your needs with a FTA system.

Didn't even know about FTA. On their page right now. So, it's free? Just pay for a receiver? I have an old D* dish, single lnb, that will work? Know about the pic quality? Regarding install, I'll cal them to see if I can do that myself. Installed my own C-Band system, D* system, etc.

It lists free HBO, Disney, E!, NBC East (no waivers??), Starz, didn't see any Hawai channels, though.....

Well I tossed out the FTA as a possible solution. I should have backed that with you might need to visit the FTA area here and see if you can find some info regarding Hawaii channels before you buy anything.

Well I tossed out the FTA as a possible solution. I should have backed that with you might need to visit the FTA area here and see if you can find some info regarding Hawaii channels before you buy anything.

Thanks for the direction - FTA/DVB land looks awesome. Would love to watch some aussie channels too!

When did they do that? I still get 2 out of the 4 L.A. distant HDs.

I don't care about the networks, since they cancelled my distant HD networks, they can all go to h*ll. And it very just desserts that network viewership is sinking rapidly every year! I want the local newscasts from Hawaii! I miss them! Who cares about Dancing with the Stars and that crap. I just want to see what's happening on my little ole island :))

Think about getting a Slingbox. If you have a house in Hawaii you can use the OTA or cable or satellite subscription there and control the channel switching from your house in San Diego. You would get your locals that way.

There aren't any Hawaii channels on FTA...the only things I have seen from there have been some college football games they beam back here for the other team :)

When did they do that? I still get 2 out of the 4 L.A. distant HDs.

They did it this last year. Remember? You can only get your time zone distant networks? I live in Cali had east coast networks for years and HD east coast for 3 years, then the congressional act of whatever it was, took effect and no more HD/SD distant networks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)