I made a terrible mistake going to Dish through All Sat, what are my options?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dominogold

Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Novi, MI
I was paying $70 a month for cable with HD DVR. Thinking I could get a better deal with Dish so someone referred me to All Sat and I gave them a call.

The rep I talked to said they had a promotion going where the Dish HD Bronze package was $39.99 a month for 10 months, then $49.99 a month thereafter. The only extra charge was $5 for an extra receiver which I did get. With an 18 month committment there were "no" other charges, without an 18 month committment there was a $49.99 activiation fee. Add 3 months free starz on top of it and I thought it was an ok deal.

So I signed up on 2/17, was installed last week. Then logged in at dishnetwork.com and saw my bill. I've been charged $170 so far! I am absolutely stunned. There is a $49.99 "lease equipment upgrade" fee along with a $10 programming access fee even though I am hooked up to phone lines, and guess what, the HD Bronze pack is $49.99 a month not $39.99 a month as I was told when I signed up.

I made 4 calls to Dish Network today and 2 to All Sat. Each company blames the other for the problems. The only thing Dish Network would do is had me test the phone line and they say they took off the $10 programming access fee but I haven't seen it on the bill yet.

I just want to cancel and get my money back. How can I do this without ruining my excellent credit rating?

Should I cancel my credit card and file a complaint with the attorney general or just contest the charges on the credit card? I've heard All Sat charges you $295 for fees if you cancel and ruins your credit if you don't pay.

What are my options here? I'm on honest person here and was completely lied to when I signed up. None of this was explained to me and I feel completely ripped off. Neither company is stepping up and helping out in this situation.

Well not sure on all the different charges but I know your first bill will be for 2 months of service because you always pay a month in advance.

Yep I'm aware of that...

Basically there are 3 charges I'm disputing.

1. Programming Access Fee when both receivers are hooked up to the phone. I think they took care of this today but haven't seen it yet.
2. HD Bronze package does not have a promotion of $39.99 a month according to Dish Network, but All Sat is selling it that way
3. All Sat did not tell me I was going to incur a $49.99 "lease equipment upgrade" charge.

I never would have signed up knowing this. Now I'm apparently locked into not one but TWO contracts, one through All Sat where I get charged $295 if I cancel, and one through Dish Network where I get charged $240 if I cancel. All this for being lied to when I signed up in the first place! This is just plain wrong!

Cancel the credit card? What do I do?

Did the contract you signed have anything about the promo deal??
If not you might be SOL. Canceling your card won't really do anything because you will still be charged for the services or canceling fees.

Dish is offering $100 off your bill ($10 x 10 months), but you have to send the rebate form back with your first bill.

You should be able to break your AllSat contract because the disclosures weren't accurately covered with you.

Sounds as tho Allsat is seling programming packages with the $10 a month rebate already taken off and not tewlling people about the Upgrade equipment fee.- what a scam. Your monthly cost for the HDBrocze package should be $49.99 plus $5.00 for locals before taxes. I'd call or write Dish and let them know about Allsats unethical business practices.

I've been installing for 8 years, and I can'te envision any circumstance where I would order a satellite or anything else over the phone. I've seen too many people get screwed. I did buy a sony Sat B65A over the internet from a D* retailer, but I was a D* installer, so I knew what was going one, except for the fact that the B65A was a rebadged gaebo. That is what I get for brand loyalty with sony, I guess.

I ordered over the phone so the only thing I signed was when the installer installed my dish.

All Sat is selling these packages and not disclosing the $49.99 fee along with the fact that the $10 off for 10 months is only good if you fill out a form and only for the HD SILVER and up, but they said it was good on the HD Bronze.

I never would have switched from cable had I known this.

So I can't just cancel my card? How can they charge me if the card doesn't work?

I have called Dish several times. They blame All Sat. A rep at All Sat says they can possibly let me out of my contract there but he had to "verify the conversation took place" and is supposed to call me back (yeah right).

Even if they do let me out of my All Sat contract I still have the Dish Network Contract to worry about!

I did not get locals because I can pick them all up over the antenna in HD. I was expecting my bill to be $44.99 a month ($39.99 + $5 extra receiver) + tax with no extra charges. Instead I've been charged $170 for the first two months service!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)