I miss my 721!

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
:(

I am sorely missing out now that I can't get my Dish to work here. (I just recently moved) I had to go back to Comcast and get their DVR.

Top reasons why Dish's 721 is better than Comcast's Explorer 8000 DVR:

Both have Dual Tuners and PIP

Comcast lacks the 30 second forward button, the 10 second back button and harddrive space (only about 40 hours record time). It also costs $9.95 a month to use it. It's guide software is ugly and bulky, not to mention slow.

Dish's 721 lacks Name Based Recording. It is very convienient.

I suppose the 522 Single moded rcvr will do this for only $5.99 a month as opposed to Comcast's $9.95 for less features.

Don't forget

With Dish, you either BUY the receiver or pay lease on it plus pay the 4.95 VOD fee (though it provides absolutely nothing).

I just dumped Dish for Adelphia. My HD DVR is included at no cost, and additional standard combo DVRs are $12/month, but I BUY nothing. No contract, etc. I can simply turn it in any time I want with nothing lost.

I do have to say that I prefer the interface of the 5xx series to the SA8300. But, not enough to continue throwing money down the drain. My 921 experience was the last straw for me and Dish.

Only for a year while I'm living with the dreaded in-laws. I went crazy and decided to sacrifice some personal freedom for a chance at financial freedom. Going crazy and getting rid of debt.

I still have my dishes at work to play with.

wmhjr said:
I just dumped Dish for Adelphia. My HD DVR is included at no cost, and additional standard combo DVRs are $12/month, but I BUY nothing. No contract, etc. I can simply turn it in any time I want with nothing lost.

Is there any site you can provide which shows the specs for the adelphia boxes? Their website doesn't seem to show them? Also, they provided you with an HD DVR?

Stargazer said:
I have a 721 and a 522 and I like the 721 better. The 522 was just too cheap to pass up.
Why do you like the 721 better? I've been happy with mine (I'm on my third after RA'ing two previous ones), but I wonder what the 522 is like. Does it have the same kind of guide, or is it the old-style one like on my old 4900 and my dad's 811?

The 721 has a faster EPG and is less buggy on the DVR functionality than the 522. I like the interface better and it has front A/V inputs to allow me to select channel 0 to view what is connected to the A/V input. If I ever drop below AEP it would have no DVR fee.

Stargazer said:
The 721 has a faster EPG and is less buggy on the DVR functionality than the 522. I like the interface better and it has front A/V inputs to allow me to select channel 0 to view what is connected to the A/V input. If I ever drop below AEP it would have no DVR fee.
Is it the same EPG (9-day) with the same look as the 721? What does better interface mean?

Adelphia PVR

That is a problem. Their site doesn't provide any details or specs, and to be honest I couldn't find any myself. Some info for you, however:

Yes, Adelphia provided me with an HD DVR. It's the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. It has RGB, HDMI, and Toslink outputs in addition to standard RCA and coax. It also has two firewire, 1 SATA connections. It only has a cable input - no OTA antenna connection, so of you want OTA HD you'll need an HD tuner. Not a problem for me as my Toshiba has an integrated tuner. Plus, since they have all my locals in HD anyway except for Fox, that further reduces the problem. It's an RF, not a UHF remote. I'm going to post a comparison between the two products in a separate thread, however I can tell you that I have both connected by the exact same type connections to the exact same devices right now, and Adelphia is kicking Dish's butt. Of the largest interest, however, is that even though I really don't like the UI as much, the Adelphia DVR has thus far been completely reliable. To be honest, however, that's likely because you need to integrate OTA with the 921 because Charlie doesn't have HD Locals. Unfortunately, it looks as though it will be years before that gets fixed.

Plus - the other two DVRs Adelphia provided are ALSO HD! No extra cost!!!!! As a result, I'm now planning to pick up another HD set (CRT this time) in the not too distant future. With Dishnet, that's out of the question.

Ransack said:
Is there any site you can provide which shows the specs for the adelphia boxes? Their website doesn't seem to show them? Also, they provided you with an HD DVR?

I LOOOVE my 721. It is by far the best receiver I have ever owned. Due to the price drop, I've picked up a 921 so I can sport some HD with my dual DVR. But if I have problems with it, I won't hesitate to go back to my 721.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts