I moved TV2 two days after install, Dish wants $100

Sorry, but there are too many people messing with the equipment after techs install it... and it does substantially hurt their pay. Leave it alone. Let the professionals handle it. If the tech was smart, he would've advised you at installation not to move anything and be sure where you want each tv.

Techs on a trouble call can tell almost immediately if you tampered with the setup. This can be costly to you if a sub-contractor is the tech.

There are certain requirements on an installation that need to be in place for the tech to receive their full pay for the job. Like torque on the fittings that you undid several times. If the job is QC'd after you moved stuff around, the tech would most likely fail. Leave it alone. We're trying to feed our kids. Instead, get the tech's phone number... I give it out on every install. It's my livelyhood. Thanks.

Well, that means that about 99% of the people on this board have done exactly what you say they shouldn't. In fact, that is part of the purpose of this board. Perhaps the point should be that any of us should do careful research and seek advice on this board before changing things. However, there are times when one must move a TV for whatever reason, and is it not the purpose, among others, of this board to help people who may have had a legitimate reason to move a TV, then move it back? Or is anyone arguing that in such situations a person should pay $200 for a "professional" tech to the first move, then to return it to the original room? PLEASE. That is what we're here to help with.

Glad you got it figured out OP.

no , cust has every right to move tv2 or tv1, for that matter. so long as they get it right. if not it will costs the cust because tech can't be responsible for cust moving the equipment and not hooking it up correctly. its only rocket science to some lol.

Well, that means that about 99% of the people on this board have done exactly what you say they shouldn't. In fact, that is part of the purpose of this board. Perhaps the point should be that any of us should do careful research and seek advice on this board before changing things. However, there are times when one must move a TV for whatever reason, and is it not the purpose, among others, of this board to help people who may have had a legitimate reason to move a TV, then move it back? Or is anyone arguing that in such situations a person should pay $200 for a "professional" tech to the first move, then to return it to the original room? PLEASE. That is what we're here to help with.

Glad you got it figured out OP.
:up:up:up

some here are such company men it is always "call dish" I agree this forum is here so people don't have to go through the HUGE headache dealing with the providers, because as you know they make the easiest request a PITA.
sat installation is not the rocket science many make it out to be

When you have some old couple who can't keep there fingers off the input button of there HD TV insisting it needs to be on channel 3, and they call you about every two days wanting you to come fix there TV because they think sense they can't get it to work you installed it wrong when really they aren't smart enough to work it. You will quit giving out your number. When you have have some idiot who told you they only wanted one of there receivers installed, and that Dish was mailing them a box to return there second receiver then three months late they're calling you at crazy hours of the night wanting you to talk them through the installing of that supposed to be returned receiver that's missing hardware anyway you'll change your mind on giving out that number. Let them call the office, and they can deal with it. I only give my number out to people I know personally, and that's it!
i gave out my number to certain people only.
If I could head off a potential TC and thus having to endure the issues with Dish's idiotic statistics, I gladly will answer or return that phone call.
It's called dancing around trouble calls.

As for the OP's issue, it would have been better if he'd come here BEFORE tampering with his system. Now he has a problem. That problem is going to become the install tech's problem even though the tech is without blame.
Dish Newtwork's is an unfair unjust insidious system.

Well apparently the OP doesn't have a problem anymore, according to my reading of this thread, he figured it out. Which is exactly what this forum is for in the first place.

OP learned how his system works and increased his expertise, didn't have to spend money for a service call, and didn't get the original tech written up or charged back, hopefully. Win-win for everyone.

I've had dish tech out a couple times for an upgrade job. Which I had completely ripped apart and put back together within a week or so. Not because they did it wrong, just because that's the type personality I have, want to take it all apart and know how it all works. And it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, if I screwed it up, no way would I do anything to get the original tech in hot water. He left me his number for the exact reason of being able to fix an issue before a TC is issued against him, worst case I'd call him and arrange to make it worth his while to come back and un-botch whatever I had done.

By the way, the knowledge and practice gained working on my own stuff has enabled me to make a non-trivial amount of extra income on GloryStar/3ABN/LLBN repoint jobs I wouldn't have attempted otherwise.

Well apparently the OP doesn't have a problem anymore, according to my reading of this thread, he figured it out. Which is exactly what this forum is for in the first place.

OP learned how his system works and increased his expertise, didn't have to spend money for a service call, and didn't get the original tech written up or charged back, hopefully. Win-win for everyone.

I've had dish tech out a couple times for an upgrade job. Which I had completely ripped apart and put back together within a week or so. Not because they did it wrong, just because that's the type personality I have, want to take it all apart and know how it all works. And it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, if I screwed it up, no way would I do anything to get the original tech in hot water. He left me his number for the exact reason of being able to fix an issue before a TC is issued against him, worst case I'd call him and arrange to make it worth his while to come back and un-botch whatever I had done.

By the way, the knowledge and practice gained working on my own stuff has enabled me to make a non-trivial amount of extra income on GloryStar/3ABN/LLBN repoint jobs I wouldn't have attempted otherwise.
Why then did you post " a couple of times on an upgrade"?
There is really nothing to be gained by dismantling someone else's work.
All you had to do was ask the tech while he was there. In the past I have run into this. I had no issues with explaining to the customer what they wished to know.
Yes, you can say "it's my stuff and I will do what I want with it"...I agree. To a certain extent.
One thing you must know. With Dish's new rules that make the last visiting tech responsible for the entire system including customer owned equipment connected to the satellite sysytem, if ANYTHING goes wrong within 60 days of that visit, the tech must perform a service visit and not only is he not paid for the visit , he also is penalized in the form of a charge back by his employer.
So, you post you've put it all back together. Ok. Is it back together and in compliance with Dish's quality control standards?.....Suppose it isn't and you decide to order a new receiver, or upgrade another.....The tech arrives , sees your handiwork has created a violation of Dish's specifications. Now that tech is stuck reinstalling everything you tampered with.
This is not personal. This is for your information.
Please do not be offended, but my worst customers are the tinkerers. The ones that decide it's their day to " take a look at what the guy did" and start taking stuff apart.....Trust me, 99% of these geniuses get themselves into trouble and end up calling the satellite company for assistance. Invariably, to avoid paying fees which they rightly should have to, they tell the CSR they "lost signal"..
DO us techs a bug favor.....If you decide to take stuff apart, make sure you put it back EXACTLY how you found it.
We thank you for your attention to detail....Good day sir.

Last edited:
One thing you must know. With Dish's new rules that make the last visiting tech responsible for the entire system including customer owned equipment connected to the satellite sysytem, if ANYTHING goes wrong within 60 days of that visit, the tech must perform a service visit and not only is he not paid for the visit , he also is penalized in the form of a charge back by his employer.
So, you post you've put it all back together.
that is a bunch of B.S. reason I would never work for them. get a bad lnb or ird and you get taxed? total B.S. and probably illegal.

that is a bunch of B.S. reason I would never work for them. get a bad lnb or ird and you get taxed? total B.S. and probably illegal.

Yep....Failed equipment is non-pay. Essetnially, Dish blames the tech.
That is within the first 60 days. After that, it's a regular service call.
I have back way off on fulfillment work. I hardly do any at all. Strictly part time. It's beeb so slow, I haven't done any jobs in quite some time.
The other guys are pretty steamed about the new rules.
They need to make a living, so they deal with it.
I have found another career, plus started my own business.

All right, clarifications:

1) I had no way to contact the technician. No number, no card, Dish wouldn't connect me. What was I supposed to do? Flip through the white pages until it magically hit me?

2) I put it back, exactly as it was (except for the cable change that I had to do, obviously the point of this thread). I tightened the coaxes as far as my meager hands could.

I realize tinkering isn't always the best idea, but seriously.....it was one cable. Take out one cable, put the new one in the exact same connector. It's like not I tried to readjust my satellite dish...

~Ibrahim~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)