I need some advice (existing Dish customer)

Hawk353

Jun 7, 2004
Called DishNetwork to tell them of our impending move and request the "DishMover" promo to get hooked up at the new location.... asked them about the 322 receiver and was told that it wasn't available to existing customers, specifically because that equipment was leased to new customers and not available for purchase. However, I have noticed the 322s are being sold on various sites. I need to get a new reciever anyway and would love to be able to set up viewing in 2 additional rooms without paying the extra $4.99/ month.
Here's my questions:
Can I buy a 322, call DishNetwork and have them activate the new reciever? Will they do this or refuse to since I am not leasing it?

Or - would I be able to continue service if I simply purchased the reciever and put the "smart-card" from my current reciever in the new 322?

Any advice on a work-around to avoid getting dinged an extra $5 each month? Thanks for your help.....

Dish has caught on to the x22 sales and will no longer activate them. x22's have an internal hard-wired "smartcard" the eternal slot (if any) won't do it. Also, smartcards are "married" to a specific receiver and cannot be moved to another.

I only answer these hacker-like questions because I do not believe you are trying to hack a box.

The workaround is to use a different name and start a new account. This is what spouses are useful for. :) If you've already placed the order (as opposed to just getting information), you're probably screwed.

Qualifying as a new customer using the wifes name is not something easily done unless she has a different name from yours. Around August DISH will be offering upgrade promotions for existing customers, hopefully they will get software on X22 straightened out and offer them at that time. :)

Thanks

Thanks for the info - does anyone else have any ideas? (And no, I'm not trying to hack anything... just wanted to get a better receiver and have the ability to hook up 2 tvs.)

It seems really short-sighted of Dish to keep offering sweeter and sweeter deals to attract new customers but neglecting or treating poorly the existing customers -- especially those of us who have been with them for several years! Does this frustrate anyone else?

Hawk353 said:
It seems really short-sighted of Dish to keep offering sweeter and sweeter deals to attract new customers but neglecting or treating poorly the existing customers -- especially those of us who have been with them for several years!

Have you seen the new Sprint Wireless commercial wherein a teacher introduces a new student to the class, then announces that because she's new, she gets the deluxe art supply kit. "You know...Because she's knew."

It's priceless.

GaryPen said:
Have you seen the new Sprint Wireless commercial wherein a teacher introduces a new student to the class, then announces that because she's new, she gets the deluxe art supply kit. "You know...Because she's new."

It's priceless.
Yeah. It should be noted that Sprint didn't come out with the anti-churn policy until after Verizon did. :)

SimpleSimon said:
Yeah. It should be noted that Sprint didn't come out with the anti-churn policy until after Verizon did. :)

Quite frankly, I could care who did what first. I have no loyalty to any utility provider, as you probably know. It's not just satellite providers. The same goes for local phone, long distance, wireless, ISP, etc. Whomever provides the best goods and services for the best price, IOW the best value for me, gets my biz. :cool:

But, that Sprint ad is great. The look on the kids' faces who are already in the class, using old beat-up supplies is great. Then, she says, as if it's obvious the most logical thing in the world..."because she's knew."

Milk comes out of my nose every time I see it. (Oddly, I'm not drinking milk at the time.) :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts