I need some help buying a Hopper and some Joeys

Benoone

Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
Caymans
I need some help buying a Hopper and some Joeys

BTW, I'm a long time lurker and very thankful for this excellent forum!

Overview:
I've been with Dish for 10+ years and currently own a 510, 301, 622 and a 722. The 510 and the 301 will be end of life May 31st and I need to replace them. Also, I'm at $188+ monthly and looking to nip that down a bit if I can. I have and want to maintain some OTA TV's in the house.

The 301 in my workshop is located 300 feet from the house and is a complete standalone system not connected to the house. I currently have RG6 and Cat5 cables run between the TVs in the house but not out to the workshop.

I'm not in love with either the 622 or the 722 and could easily part with them if it's time to move on and... I read somewhere that if I go with the Hopper I can't keep the 622 or 722 and only a 211 is allowed. Finally, I intend to purchase, not lease.

Questions:
Is it true that only the 211 is allowed and if so then how many 211's can I have along with the Hopper?

If I go with a 211 for the workshop and get the USB port activated, can I watch something and record another thing at the same time and in HD and save monthly fees also?

On the USB drive, will I have access to the saved files and is there a way to view or convert the content into standardized format or is it encrypted or proprietary?

I think all I need for the house is a Hopper (with sling) and three Joeys. I'm sorta leaning towards WiFi to cut the cord clutter but don't want to sacrifice the picture quality. What do you suggest?

But, in the exercise room, my wife loves her old Proton TV which does not have HDMI inputs - What Joey (or converter) do I use here?

And... If anyone has any recommendations on where to purchase please PM me.

I will be eternally grateful for all your help and suggestions.

Regards

Glenn

Up to two ViP211s

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Wi-fi is fine. But I always wire mine.

Joey has composite outs, or you can get an HDMI to Component converter.

Dish Store.

Why do you want to buy, rather than lease? Your monthly bill will be the same either way.

If you are set on purchasing instead of leasing (my preference), Solid Signal usually has the best prices.

For an antenna, I recommend looking at the Winegard G2, or their X1 or X2. Self aiming.

Up to two ViP211s

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Wi-fi is fine. But I always wire mine.

Joey has composite outs, or you can get an HDMI to Component converter.

Dish Store.

Why do you want to buy, rather than lease? Your monthly bill will be the same either way.

DIRT told me only one 211K is allowed on a Hopper system? Also need to say it's for my RV/tailgating....

I'm still very confused about whether the 211 is absolutely the -only- IRD that can be used along with a full or partial Hopper system (and if that's true, does that mean that I will have to remove both my 622 and 722 from my account?)

As for leasing, I got burned a long time ago and have no desire to repeat the process - When I want to quit I want to quit without someone nicking my credit report. Just call me old fashioned and old school - I'm happy :)

Glenn

Reactions: BBCInc
I will offer this. I know you don't want to do the commitment, but in your case, even if you cance on day 2, you would pay a significant amount less leasing then purchasing. Plus there is no monthly savings on own v lease.

I misunderstood one thing I think. You want to hook the EHD to the 211, and are wondering if you can watch and record something seperate that way? If that is what you were asking, then the answer is no. The only way to have access to a second tuner with the 211(k/z) is by adding the OTA adapter.

It is my understanding they changed that to two. Of course, they could have changed it back to one.

Reactions: ChadT41
It is my understanding they changed that to two. Of course, they could have changed it back to one.
That's where I was at. I knew it as two when I left(not to long after the release of the winegard X2), and after I left I heard a rumor they moved it to 3, but could never verify. It is possible it was changed again, but extremely doubtful given the purpose and contracts with Winegard.

Well, I found my answer about "can I have a VIP622 or VIP722 on the same account as a Hopper".

Thanks to tampa8 at dbstalk:
"NO, it will not be done, period. The dish system will not activate a Hopper with a VIP receiver on the account, or the other way around. As pointed out it's not a matter of can't be done, it won't be done. All policies can change, but this one is a solid a policy as I have ever seen with Dish".

So Dish says only one 211 and no other VIPs! Oh well, it's been a good ride up until now.

So before June 1st, I'll just get some 722's to replace the EOL legacy units, swap 'em out, be done with it and move on.

I looked at all the $$ involved for the Hopper and at the end of the day it's just not worth the price to me and it's one more reason to move closer to OTA, PLEX, ROKU, NetFlix and cut the cord. Glenn Beck and HBO started the trend and when FOX news also starts streaming... I'm gone.

Hey guys, thanks for all your input. I appreciate your help.

Glenn

Reactions: bwexler

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)