I only pick up 72.7 but can not get 61.5 on my 1000.4

larry r

Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
detroit
I mounted a 1000.4 ay my cottage and I can only pick up 72, I can not pick up 61.5. I initially locked onto 82 (i think) and saved the switch settings. I then realized it was the wrong sat so I retuned the dish for 72.7 and got about 60 on the signal strength meter. When I run a switch test the only signal I get is 72. the others switchs (2-4) are good but no signal. I have a clear view but no luck.. can anyone help?

Hi Larry, when you are in the point dish screen are you getting any signal on the 61.5 at all? Is this your first attempt at point the dish? Are you trying to get the Easter Arc, 72, 61.5 and 77?

yes, first attempt and I can only get any singnal on 72. I am trying to get the eastern arc. no luck on 77 either but I heard there might be issues with 77. I tried setting the 211K receiver to 61.5 and searching for the signal but no luck finding any. I can only find 72 I wouldn't know what transponder to set the receiver on when looking for 61.5 nor would I know if it matters. I'm a newbee.
Thanks for any help. I'd like to get this set up for the big game on Sunday.

I am connected to the VIP 211K with an RG-6 to the 2nd port (of 4) on the 1000.4 dish. my skew is at about 80 and elevation at about 40. I've tweeked for max signal on 72 transponder 5 (manual suggests transponder 5 or 9) I'm getting about 60 sig strength. I used the dishpointer site to get my numbers and direction and it was very helpful. It appears that 61.5 is a couple degrees lower in elevation and a few degrees left of 72, and it looks like 77 is a couple degrees right of 72 but at about the same elevation.

Page 11 of the 1000.4 installation manual (Eastern Arc Antenna Installation Instructions.pdf) shows for zip code 482XX 40 171 79 and that 1 degree would mean a lot to see 61.5.

I vote "skew is off". Just looking at the 61.5 LNB (which is considerably offset from the other two), is it higher or lower than the 72.7 LNB?

Skew is lower for 61.5. I also tried elevations from 35 up to 45 with no luck. I have not tried adjusting the skew since it is right on what the book and pish pointing software says it should be. should I try adjusting?

I believe 72 is dead center on the dish. The skew could be anything and you would still get 72 if you're following installation procedures, which involve setting up on 72 first. Then you could adjust the skew until you get 61.5. The reason I asked about which LNB was higher is because you might be misinterpreting the skew numbers on the disk and set it to the wrong side of 90 deg. Note that skew on an EA dish is on the opposite side of 90 from a WA dish or D500.

larry r said:
Skew is lower for 61.5. I also tried elevations from 35 up to 45 with no luck. I have not tried adjusting the skew since it is right on what the book and pish pointing software says it should be. should I try adjusting?

Well if everything else isn't working, why not try adjusting the skew. On the dp website, it's skew and elevation suggestion is different than the settings on my dish and my system is dialed in perfectly via super buddy.

On another note, a tech visit is cheap.

From behind the dish, the 61.5 lnb is the one on your right but the right side of the lnb and dish should be higher than the left side.

Make sure that is the case, if you have the left side higher, only the center lnb will find anything.

From the level (90 degree) position you should rotate the dish counterclockwise to set the skew to 79 degrees.

great point, I'll check it out today. should I cover the other LNB's with foil While I tune in 72 or 61.5? is there a chance the wrong LNB is locking onto 72? maybe the one that is suppose to be locking onto 61.5? just a newbee thought.
Thanks for your help on this. it's really appreciated.

Right side of the dish (from the back) is higher. the skew looks right but I will try adjusting in a few hours when my help gets here.

The switch test should have 77 in position 1, 72 in position 2, 61.5 in position 3 and nothing showing on 4. If you have 72 in the first position on the switch test then it's probably getting that signal from the 77 LNB and the dish needs to move a little west.

Good Luck.

I covered 61.5 and 77 with foil (lost the signal) but I can not find 71 on the center LNB. I am clearing the switch settings by removing the RG6 fron the receiver aand running a switch test. gonna try again shortly

In order to install a 1000.4 dish , you need to you port 2 of the lnb for your sat meter and peak it on 72.7 sat. Your switch check should say : 77/72.7/61.5 in that order. Once you peak on 72.7 and assuming you have the elevation correct , you can then use the azimuth cam to adjust it a few clicks to the left or to the right to get the sweet spot where you get both 72.7 and 77 sats . The 61.5 sat should be there as well if you have the skew and elevation set correctly. It helps if you follow the installation instructions line by line and sometimes to re read till it makes sense. I know the first time I installed my eastern arc dish I spent a good portion of the day trying to get it right. I had installed a 500/1000 and 1000.2 but the 1000.4 dish was much more complicated to peak it on all 3 sats. But if you use 72.7 as your satellite and use either 19 or 21 transponder to peak it on, you should be able to then adjust the azimuth cam and get all 3 sats just fine. I get between 45 - 70 on 61.5 sat . 60 - 78 on 72.7 sat and 45- 50 on 77 sat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)