I only want locals from DishNetwork

slamotto

Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
First time poster.

I have not had dish network programming since May of 2003. I still have a dish (Dish500) and a receiver (DishPro 301). I would like to get my local channels from Dish Network, because my over the air reception stinks out loud. I called the company, and they said that my equipment should work for getting locals, but I need a new access card, which will run be $49.99.
Does that sound right? Or are they just trying to squeeze some money out of a tightwad who only wants locals?

Assuming I do need a new access card to get local channels, do I have any alternatives? Can I get one cheaper from somewhere else?
Thanks in advance.

Dish changed out alot of the older access cards a few months back. And no, Don't even think of buying another card somewhere else. if someone is trying to sell you one, run like the wind. The only place to get a legal card is from dish.

I thought the fee was $25, but I guess it could be $50. I believe you will have to subscribe to something in addition to locals. Probably the Family Pack would be the cheapest.

Welcome to our little community. Don't be a stranger. And let us know how this works out for you.

Thanks for the responses. Once I get a new access card, it doesn't sound like it is a problem to get only locals, except for the $6 montly service fee for not having one of their full programming packages.

I have a feeling that if I was to subscribe to a full package, they would probably give me the card free of charge, but they aren't going to do it for me to just get locals. I have no confirmation of that, just my gut feeling.

Ask. And if the CSR won't pop for a free one, ask for a super. You have nothing to lose by asking. I, and others, have obtained free cards, but that is generally because we have years of steady payments and upper end subscriptions. I guess. :p

Locals only from Dish

I subscribe to SkyAngel, which is a Christian / Family satellite network. It uses the Dish Network equipment, and piggybacks onto their 61.5 satellite. I receive no Dish programming.

Recently I lived in Houston. While there, I added the Houston local channels to my SkyAngel programming. So the only thing I paid to Dish was $5.99 per month for the Houston local channels, and $5.00 per month for my second receiver box.

I had a Dish 311 box. I assume your box is older. That may be why you need a smart card. I don't have a smart card in any of my three boxes, and they all work fine.

The 311 is a newer model of the 301

The 311 has the smartcard built in :)

I assume the OP hs a blue card in his box. It will have to be replaced

Welcome to our little community, Rev, and thanks for the info. That's good to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)