I Really Enjoy Watching the VOOM Kung Fu Channel

I"m right there with ya.

But I was happy to see Onibaba on last night. First good movie I've seen on Kung Fu since the switch.

Onibaba is awesome flick. If you liked it, check out some of the other Japanese films like Rashomon, Ran, Throne of Blood, Zatoichi, The Hidden Fortress (which was actually George Lucas inspiration for Star Wars).

These Japanese flicks are amazing examples of the art of filmmaking, a totally different experience from the god awful Hong Kong stuff they usually show on Fu.

Of course this does require you to be able to deal with sub-titles which many people can't.

ravensong said:
Onibaba is awesome flick. If you liked it, check out some of the other Japanese films like Rashomon, Ran, Throne of Blood, Zatoichi, The Hidden Fortress (which was actually George Lucas inspiration for Star Wars).

These Japanese flicks are amazing examples of the art of filmmaking, a totally different experience from the god awful Hong Kong stuff they usually show on Fu.

Of course this does require you to be able to deal with sub-titles which many people can't.

Very true all movies you have listed are very good!

ravensong said:
Deal with subtitles? As far as I'm concerned, in a foreign language film subtitles are absolutely mandatory. The ridiculous dubbing in the majority of the crap films on Kung-Fu make them unwatchable in my opinion. It's good for about thirty seconds of amusement -- and amazement that it was actually done seriously, NOT as a joke -- and then it's just plain distracting.

Subtitles = good:)
Dubbing = sucks:mad:

I have spoken.:p

TheTimm said:
Deal with subtitles? As far as I'm concerned, in a foreign language film subtitles are absolutely mandatory. The ridiculous dubbing in the majority of the crap films on Kung-Fu make them unwatchable in my opinion. It's good for about thirty seconds of amusement -- and amazement that it was actually done seriously, NOT as a joke -- and then it's just plain distracting.

Subtitles = good:)
Dubbing = sucks:mad:

I have spoken.:p
Folks, don't get me wrong...there is some very good stuff shown on FU HD. However, there is 10 times more cheezy fluff and, as much as I like an occasional "Ass Kick of the Day" FU Flick, I feel it's better to roll this into GuyTV until more Cinema channels are available.

I concur with Timm's graphic regarding subtitles.:up

Bring back GuyTV! Send your comments here: http://www.voom.com/util/contact_us/index.jsp

I agree completely with the comments about subtitles. I have never seen a dubbed version that I prefer to the original, though there are a few Criterion releases that have very well done dub tracks.
Personally I no longer even notice that I'm reading subtitles. I've been watching alot more foriegn films lately, Netflix actually has quite a decent collection of them. My comment about dealing with them was just pointing out that some folks refuse to watch good films because they are in another language.

I totally agree with the horrible dubs on FU making most of thier stuff unwatchable.

Totally agree on the subtitles. In my opinion foreign movies should be seen and heard in the original language. Even more so if the two languages are not latin. I feels like a joke when I turn to the KungFuHD channel and something is dubbed. By the way what was on on GuyTV. I never had the original Voom so don't know what am I missing.

the dub problem is a problem with the distribution company (Miramax). That's the way they handle the movie (unfortunately). According to what I heard, Voom will always try to get subtitle movies but if that's not available what you see is the best that they were able to get.

There are almost no Hong Kong style stuff avaiable that actually has subtitles available. The only ones I can think of are the Jet Li "Once upon a time in China" and the "Chinese Ghost Story". It seems like they MUST be avaiable in China, but those versions stay there I guess.

Fu and Monsters are my favorite channels. I like the majority of the stuff I've seen on Fu. I agree the Jet Li movies have not been very good with horrible dubbing, but all of the Chow Yun Fat movies have been subbed, as well as the one Stephen Chow movie (King of Beggars which is mediocre, some excellent parts intermixed with some rather crappy ones - they need to get more Stephen Chow movies). The Jackie Chan movies are 50% decent, all with crappy dubbing I agree on that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)