I really hate the Hopper!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ArmChairGumshoe

Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
It however has cured me of my tv addiction. I don't watch much tv any more. I recently called Dish and downgraded from the 250 package to the 120. I may even go down to the Smart Pack. I told the rep I was down grading because of the Hopper and it's lack of organization...he was not interested in hearing my complaints but did down grade my programming.

My List

My Folders
The limit of 5 folders
No sorting by title in my folders
The HORRIBLE white font on grey icon which I can not read (not exaggerating)

PTAT
cannot delete entire folders of shows or multiple episodes at one time - each episode has to be deleted individually
Save series doesn't appear to work and there's no indicator of IF the save series is actually set (I like to keep my favorites for a long time)

My Recordings
You cannot delete multiple episodes of a show at one time, only one episode at a time

I do LOVE the sort by episode number

I so very much regret getting the Hopper. I love more room to record but the lack of organization makes it impossible to enjoy all my recordings.
Even my kids don't like it because they can't find their shows without going through all my stuff. And I can't find my stuff without going through theirs.
I am hoping someone here can tell me that it will get better. That Dish is working on these issues. Or give me some tips for organizing. I don't think my issues are major things to fix. . . It's just major to me. And making for one unhappy customer.

PS I have a one hopper, two Joey set up. Before we had about ten folders or so...movies, kid's shows, true crime, mystery, cooking, teens, family movies, homeschool history, homeschool science.

many of us commented back in March about the same sorting and user interface issues with my folders. Dish definitely knows as we provided a ton of feedback back then. We're just waiting to see how it evolves...

As others pointed out, you can do some of the things you mentioned related to PTAT and My Recordings.

Last edited:
PTAT
cannot delete entire folders of shows or multiple episodes at one time - each episode has to be deleted individually
The way PTAT is intended to be used- you don't delete shows, they are deleted when they expire. They are not counted against the amount of space you have to record shows.
Save series doesn't appear to work and there's no indicator of IF the save series is actually set (I like to keep my favorites for a long time)
IF there is a series timer set for a show covered by PTAT, it will be saved past the 8 day window and won't be deleted unless you do it.

Yeah one thing Dish needs to do a better job of is how you can pull up "Themes". They should have it where you can just click on "Guide" hit Sports or Movies and it just pull up those type of channels.. Having to go to Search seems like you have to do allot of extra steps to do something that you be allot simpler.

It however has cured me of my tv addiction. I don't watch much tv any more. I recently called Dish and downgraded from the 250 package to the 120. I may even go down to the Smart Pack. I told the rep I was down grading because of the Hopper and it's lack of organization...he was not interested in hearing my complaints but did down grade my programming.

My List

My Folders
The limit of 5 folders
No sorting by title in my folders
The HORRIBLE white font on grey icon which I can not read (not exaggerating)

PTAT

My Recordings
You cannot delete multiple episodes of a show at one time, only one episode at a time

I do LOVE the sort by episode number

I so very much regret getting the Hopper. I love more room to record but the lack of organization makes it impossible to enjoy all my recordings.
Even my kids don't like it because they can't find their shows without going through all my stuff. And I can't find my stuff without going through theirs.
I am hoping someone here can tell me that it will get better. That Dish is working on these issues. Or give me some tips for organizing. I don't think my issues are major things to fix. . . It's just major to me. And making for one unhappy customer.

PS I have a one hopper, two Joey set up. Before we had about ten folders or so...movies, kid's shows, true crime, mystery, cooking, teens, family movies, homeschool history, homeschool science.

I can count the hrs of tv I watch in a weeks time on 5 fingers or less.

I love my Hopper!!!!!

Had DTV for 12 years .... No HD.. No movies...only 2 TVs connected...paid about $88 a month

I now have 2H/4J system....HD on all 6 TVs movies and DVR on all 6 TVs... 250 package for about $92 a month...

Each kid has there on folder for recordings ...

2 sling adapters for remote use .... Broadband at all six TVs ...

Lots of perks & freebies.....

I love my Hopper system..... Thanks DISH. !!!!!

Sure you can. Go into a folder, hit edit, then select the episodes you want to edit, then hit edit action/delete, and the selected shows are gone.
That doesn't work for the episode list in a "folders by title" folder.

While my Hoppers may have some issues, I can't say it changes my viewing habits.. It's just TV. I get a kick when I see people claim that they won't watch TV Because of a particular device. I have every confidence that Dish will fix most of what ails the Hopper system. Even figure they will fix my sling adapter and make it work correctly. Every company has issues with new systems when they come out. Unless Dish completely abandons support (ie 721/922), the Hopper will get better. I have Dish and DirecTV in my home. DirecTV receiver has glitches too..

I do like a lot about the hopper vs DTV equipment but I agree that the organization setup is lacking. I also find very annoying that the system drops your preference for guide and dvr setup when you power down. It's annoying to have to go reselect my favorite channel list every day, Same for the way the DVR recordings are organized. . I also wish I didn't have to select between hoppers when viewing DVR recordings. The salesperson (I know, never believe them) said that it would all be one big list

Dude, your TV addiction has been cured because "of the Hopper and it's lack of organization" and the examples listed are the folder limitations and that you can't delete multiple episodes at once. Really? I mean I was expecting your list to include that the hopper constantly crashes, doesn't or only partially records what you want, reboots in the middle of a show, etc., but the best you got is folder limitations and can't delete multiple episodes... which by the way you don't even have to do until after you've watched something:/

I respect your issues, I guess I just find it funny that they would be the reason you don't watch TV as much.

As for me, I just switched from D*TV to Dish and am so happy I did. Like EDDWALL and others, I love the new Hopper system compared to what I had with D*TV. My bill at the competition was much higher, I had no PTAT recording capability, no autohop capability, no ability to create or control folders of anykind, no integration with Sling to watch live TV or recorded DVR content via PC, cell phone, ipad, etc., and my HD space was limited to 200 hours compared to a 2TB hard drive on the hopper recordering considerably more.

Yes, the Hopper isn't perfect and I was scared to death when I got mine that I would experience dreaded lock-ups, freezes, etc. But lucky for me my install didn't come till after the S221 software update and so far I've not had one problem with my 2H/1J setup. So cross my fingers I'm thrilled with Dish and glad to say goodbye to D*TV.

I don't seem to have the same problems as some people here - maybe I watch too much TV or something. But why are people recording so many shows, that's "it's a pain" to delete them? How many episodes can there really be? You either need to manage your timers better (i.e. don't use DishPass to find all episodes of Cops - you'd have 40 each day), or quit trying to record anything that you might watch "someday" (aka recording everything under the sun in case the apocolypse comes and your signal gets lost)

Everytime I see someone upset about the way our boxes work here in the USA I really want to give them my Slingfinder ID and password so they can control my Sky+HD receiver I have over in England.

I guarentee that after using that box (which is the most advanced satellite receiver they have over there) you will never be upset about these petty bugs we have here on our boxes. :D

Switch the view to "No folders" and you'll see a box for every episode. Then do "Edit" and then select all the episodes you want to delete. Kinda a pain, but I just delete episodes as I watch them.

I know the trick, and yes it's a pain. By the time you switch views and sort orders around you haven't saved any time or clicks in most instances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts