I recently "moved" to Pittsburgh

Just so you know, it is against Dish policy to do this. So I'd be careful...

Only if DISH knows what you are really doing, is it a problem. The law says it is unlawful for DISH to "knowingly" sell you out of area locals. Don't tell them what you are really doing and they won't ask.

Speaking of moving, I need to "move" to Baton Rouge so that when the Saints are in primetime I can watch my NBC shows when they air instead of waiting til Saturday (when my NBC affiliate will most likely air them) to watch them.

Only if DISH knows what you are really doing, is it a problem. The law says it is unlawful for DISH to "knowingly" sell you out of area locals. Don't tell them what you are really doing and they won't ask.

The only policy I can see you would be breaking is the need to notify Dish where the equipment is located at all times. But concerning getting an out of market station, I know of no law that prevents the subscriber from doing it, and DIsh is not obligated to verify your information beyond normal means. (They send our repair service and find you are at a different address - that's normal means)

The only policy I can see you would be breaking is the need to notify Dish where the equipment is located at all times. But concerning getting an out of market station, I know of no law that prevents the subscriber from doing it, and DIsh is not obligated to verify your information beyond normal means. (They send our repair service and find you are at a different address - that's normal means)

Which means you always "move" back when you need a repair on your service. That or do your own repairs .

30rock said:
Speaking of moving, I need to "move" to Baton Rouge so that when the Saints are in primetime I can watch my NBC shows when they air instead of waiting til Saturday (when my NBC affiliate will most likely air them) to watch them.

Do you have WDSU? I am guessing this happens when the Saints are on 6. Can you still catch the local New Orleans affiliates over the air? I know that Dish has 11 New Orleans locals. I think Dish has 6 Baton Rouge locals (I think Dish is missing a CW affiliate although you could probably get a superstation if that is an issue; I even think D* is missing the MyNetwork TV Baton Rouge affiliate).

When we had cable with affiliates from both areas, some network programming would play at different times. WAFB airs CBS This Morning on weekdays (while WWL has not for decades due to the strong locals news rating at the time; of course, recent sister station WUPL started airing it a few years ago). I remember when independent WHNO aired it in the mid-90s. The Price Is Right airs at 10 AM on WWL while it airs at 11 AM on WAFB. I also remember when WAFB would air yesterday's show back in the day. The Young and the Restless airs at 11 AM on WWL while it airs at 4 PM on WAFB. I believe that the Late Late Show airs at 12:05 AM after The Insider on WWL; I think WAFB airs it at 11:35 PM.

WDSU airs Days of Our Lives at 1 PM while WVLA airs it at noon. I remember when WDSU used to air the last hour of Today an hour later.

WGNO airs The Chew at noon while WBRZ airs it at 11 AM in order to air an hour long newscast at noon.

WNOL now airs primetime shows an hour later in order to air The Simpsons from 7-8 PM.

The Baton Rouge channels come in handy when there is breaking news in New Orleans (especially when sister stations are not used to air the programming during breaking news coverage), local sporting events (as you mentioned) airing (especially when it is WVUE since Fox HD programming does not seem to be aired after its original airing date and time due to an affiliate airing different programming and especially when the games are coming from Cox Sports Television or ESPN), tailgate specials, Mardi Gras parade coverage (although it is just a day and one might be catching a parade anyway), and when WWL decides to air a random movie in primetime instead of CBS programming (although it has been a while since I saw WWL do this thankfully).

If you can catch most if not all the New Orleans OTA, then it probably would not be bad to also get the Baton Rouge locals. Some cable companies still offer both markets for some networks or a hybrid from both. You may want to see if you can pull in the Baton Rouge station(s) you want OTA before "moving."

Last edited:
You can do a DISH chat online to change your service address. I have used it to do any "moves" for some time. OF course I used it the other day and I had to call back to get my locals changed, because they couldn't figure out how to change them on their end.

If you mean to get an RSN, yes you very likely will get no locals, though there are few with CONUS still. That could be combated by using an OTA antenna.....

What address did you give? Where in Pittsburgh did you "move" to? :) Don't they want a street address?

As long as its in the Pittsburgh market its pittsburgh locals. As long as the address is semi-legit it works
examples...find a gas station and add Apt 1 to it
real estate sites rock. Find an address of a house for sale and change the # but keep the rest. So instead of 280 Main St, change it to 282 Man St

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)