I take it there's no way I can fix this, huh?

indestructible

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Ohio
Last October, I finally upgraded my (then 10+ year old) equipment for HD programming. The main box [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]is a [/FONT]VIP222K that is connected to the main HDTV in the living room and up until a day ago, the SD TV in my bedroom. Thing is, on the SD TV, even when I was watching the SD channels, it appeared that the image was "zoomed in" (and thus, the edges of the image were cut off). I was kind of under the impression that it had to do with the nature of the SD TV itself (it was very old, and had a more curved screen). Anyway, a couple days ago, this TV died, so I had to go get myself a cheap 32" HDTV.

Now, I know I wouldn't have HD quality on this new TV, but when I got it all set up, I was annoyed to find that the picture is still cut off around the edges (whether I'm watching the HD or SD channels)... The TV, itself, has a few picture settings, but none fix this problem. The default picture setting shows everything in 4:3 (so every channel would have two black bars on the right and left sides), and even in that mode, the edges of the picture are still cut off.

When I first had this new equipment installed, I swear I saw the guy who installed it change the picture setting to the current "zoomed" style on the SD TV (via the Dish remote), but I didn't think to ask him how he did that, because I figured it'd be simple enough that I'd figure it out after playing around with the remote. But I've tried every button, and none do it. But with my HDTV, I can change the picture style with the (Dish) remote, via two small up and down arrow buttons on the top right corner of my remote, but these buttons don't do anything for my SD TV.

Any other ideas, or am I pretty much stuck with it the way it is?

It used to work fine, but they changed it a while back and now tv2 never displays the proper aspect ratio.

It will go between normal and letterbox if its on a HD channel. Normal should fill up the screen. And you change format with the star button/bottom left.

No playing will help, TV2 output sucks. You either zoom the picture and lose both sides of the picture or see black strips on top and bottom.

Ah, okay, the "Format"/ * button changes the picture for the HD channels so I can watch them letterboxed (so the sides aren't cut off), but it does nothing for the SD channel pictures. I guess that's good enough.

On another note, is there a general way to get the fish remote to be able to control the TV volume/ on and off?

Make sure that using TV1 output you can get the proper near-null overscan on 16x9, in normal format.
If not then you better change out the TV. If that works then normal on TV2 should work, too.
You may not be able to stretch or zoom TV2 but you shouldn't need to anyway.

If there is no volume/on-off code listed for your model, good luck in scanning for it.
-Ken

HD I've seen makes attractive people look like sh*t with skin blemishes, etc., and everything else looks like plastic. Still looking for an attractive HD picture. Where do you go?

HD I've seen makes attractive people look like sh*t with skin blemishes, etc., and everything else looks like plastic. Still looking for an attractive HD picture. Where do you go?

You won't find one that doesn't show everyone without their blemishes , wrinkles and all . IF you do find one , then they are using special lenses and lighting that lessons this effect.

One show that comes to mind is the VIEW on Abc. IF you notice when they show the cast at their table in full wide screen and from a distance , they look about right. If you move in on them individually , they look a little more plastic or light up . Especially Barbara Walters. Its like looking at her through vasoline smeared lenses with the light so bright ,that it blurs out all details in her face.

Hd has been around now for going on 10 years or more and they have learned how to make an hd picture look like the old sd picture . Just sharp enough to see details in the buildings and background shots but blurry enough to hide the flaws on the older actors. I would rather see the people like they really are, flaws and all. More like real life. I call it living in true high definition.;)

To each his own. My 32" flat-screen 720p with SD and down-converted HD looks great. I'll eventually be forced into HD, but I am in no hurry. I'm willing to be convinced, but what I see in stores and at other people's houses isn't doing it for me.

To each his own. My 32" flat-screen 720p with SD and down-converted HD looks great. I'll eventually be forced into HD, but I am in no hurry. I'm willing to be convinced, but what I see in stores and at other people's houses isn't doing it for me.
:eek: I don't know what you're looking at but I would suggest you start looking at some better set ups.

Ahhh Ok, 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 HDTV should be full screen Cutting off all sides While 16:9 should be wide screen with black on top and bottom (on older Cinemascope) and wide screen with perfect picture on 16:9.
Thats how it works for the last 8 years. Or am I missing something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)