I think I am ready to leave after 14 years......

Sassan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Columbus
Been with Dish since Sept 2004.

I have had my battles with them, but for the most part everything is pretty much ok. Hopper 3, 5 TVs (yes, I know, what the heck), good signal decent price blah blah blah.

First we lost Univision. Having a wife from Mexico.....not good.

Now HBO.

When I called in about it, a rep told me to order HBO Go or whatever it is. Fair, but my thing is, I am not interested in opening multiple apps on a TV to watch a show. I want to change a channel and watch. Cald me old-fashioned or lazy, but I just want to keep it simple....especially for my kids.

But then I read about the issues on DirectTV. I REFUSE to go to cable, as I had Time Waner (now Spectrum) before switching to Dish. The fact that I had 17 service calls in one year at an address was enough for me to banish them forever in my house.

Why should I stay? I know the pricing with DTV is sneaky in trapping in for 2 years, but when I do the math, overall I will get more channels that I actually use for the same price I am paying now more or less.

Is my thinking on the right track or is there more that I should know?

Thanks

Reactions: reddice
So you blame Dish for the channels that want excessive rates for new contracts and AT&T for what is basically extortion over HBO/Cinemax??? Would you rather that Dish just gave in every time they get hit with huge price increases, pay off everyone, every time there's a new contract and raise your bill $1100 bucks a month?

So you blame Dish for the channels that want excessive rates for new contracts and AT&T for what is basically extortion over HBO/Cinemax??? Would you rather that Dish just gave in every time they get hit with huge price increases, pay off everyone, every time there's a new contract and raise your bill $1100 bucks a month?

I didn't read his post as blaming DISH for anything. I took it as he was just making some observations and asking if he sees it correctly. It just appears that DISH is no longer filling his needs.

I 100% get what you are saying and generally agree with you, but I didn't really get that vibe from the original post that they are "blaming" Dish for it. Sounds like the two missing channels are the ones that contain the programming they most want to watch, and they are interested in a provider that carries them...hard to blame the OP for that, if that is what they want to watch.

I get the urge to fight back against what the content providers are doing, but for some, if that is all they want to watch, comes down to if it worth cutting off your nose to spite your face?

There are too many easy ways to get HBO and Cinemax, and if it were just that channel you were wanting, I’d say stay and wait for the return. Since Univision was listed as a top priority, it is not coming back to Dish anytime soon. For that reason alone, I would say you are justified in feeling like moving on would be in your best interest. Univision was not removed because of unfair prices. It was removed because both sides are suing one another, and it is going to be long and ugly. How long did Dish and Disney go at it over HD? Disney purposefully made unfair demands that Dish couldn’t accept to push them away, while they were in a lawsuit that was over another issue. I would recommend a cable service over Directv based on how you talk about Dish. You were happy with the CS received and product. Most people I know with DTV, one or both of those are a major issue with Directv, including when I called in on multiple occasions months of not years apart. Take a service with no contract to see how you feel about it.

Reactions: peggy97850
I didn't read his post as blaming DISH for anything. I took it as he was just making some observations and asking if he sees it correctly. It just appears that DISH is no longer filling his needs.
Really?

First we lost Univision. Having a wife from Mexico.....not good.

Now HBO.

When I called in about it, a rep told me to order HBO Go or whatever it is. Fair, but my thing is, I am not interested in opening multiple apps on a TV to watch a show. I want to change a channel and watch. Cald me old-fashioned or lazy, but I just want to keep it simple....especially for my kids.

Now that sounds like pointing the finger at Dish, to me

There is another thing to consider. If Dish has fights with programmer, then Direct probably does too. Cable does all of the time. The programmers want more money most of the time. There are no satellite or cable companies that will not have issues with programmers. If there is a satellite or cable company that does not have disputes, that means they are willing to pay the increases and the bills to the customers go up. I have been with Dish since 1999. I have had complaints with Dish through the years, but not enough to switch. With me, I like their programming lineup better that Direct. Spectrum has an advantage as the local one carries more diginets than Dish, but Dish also carries some that Spectrum doesn't have. I am nearly 70, and I love the streaming. I'm no kid anymore either. The Roku/Fire Stick are great. I do not have a newer Dish receiver, just the single vip211k that doesn't have the internet options, but the inexpensive Roku and Fire Stick add so many free channels (app) that Dish, Direct, or Cable will never have. I have Dish Anywhere on the Fire Stick for no added cost either. I did pick up HBO streaming and the pq is better than it was on Dish. Plus on the Fire Stick the live streaming all HBO channels are in HD.

Reactions: HipKat
If OTA is available in your area and has Univision adding it back through a dongle is not that hard. I am in the same boat waiting in HBO to return , but am only using HBO Now through Amazon till my need programming is over for the season then I will shut it off till needed again. It was nice when Dish broke out the pricing for OTA channels so we could all see how much of are bill was going for that and also giving us the option to not pay for free tv. If something could be done for the sports channels that rape us everymonth that would be great. ( calm down sports fans , i'm stuck subsidizing your sports fix ). LOL And do not watch sports.

Really?

Now that sounds like pointing the finger at Dish, to me

Of course he's pointing the finger at DISH. This is a DISH forum. He's saying DISH no longer offers programming that he watches. However, I didn't see anywhere that he blamed DISH for that. He's just saying that he may have to move to another Vendor who offers the programming that he watches.

I may be wrong, but it sounded like a fair appraisal of his situation to me.

You seem angry. All I said is, Dish is not giving me what I need anymore out of a service. I never pointed blame at anyone. In my book, they are all greedy and in the end we the consumer suffer.

If OTA is available in your area and has Univision adding it back through a dongle is not that hard. I am in the same boat waiting in HBO to return , but am only using HBO Now through Amazon till my need programming is over for the season then I will shut it off till needed again. It was nice when Dish broke out the pricing for OTA channels so we could all see how much of are bill was going for that and also giving us the option to not pay for free tv. If something could be done for the sports channels that rape us everymonth that would be great. ( calm down sports fans , i'm stuck subsidizing your sports fix ). LOL And do not watch sports.

Had the OTA going and 1) no Univision here and 2) I HATED the way the OTA setup worked, so I completely got rid of it.

Of course he's pointing the finger at DISH. This is a DISH forum. He's saying DISH no longer offers programming that he watches. However, I didn't see anywhere that he blamed DISH for that. He's just saying that he may have to move to another Vendor who offers the programming that he watches.

I may be wrong, but it sounded like a fair appraisal of his situation to me.

Thanks for seeing it this way.

All I am saying is.....these are my gripes. I have been with Dish for a long time and would rather not change. I don't see an end coming anytime soon though.....but I don't want to make a switch if it is going the exact same crap elsewhere. Cable is NOT an option for me as I refuse to use Spectrum or WOW, so that leaves DTV.

Reactions: Gobucks
ATT is really pushing a lot of Dish people off of HBO. From what I've heard some of them are now downloading torrents to get their favorite HBO shows for free. Sounds pretty easy to do.

It would serve ATT right if they permanently lost that revenue stream.

Reactions: HipKat
You seem angry. All I said is, Dish is not giving me what I need anymore out of a service. I never pointed blame at anyone. In my book, they are all greedy and in the end we the consumer suffer.

Had the OTA going and 1) no Univision here and 2) I HATED the way the OTA setup worked, so I completely got rid of it.

Thanks for seeing it this way.

All I am saying is.....these are my gripes. I have been with Dish for a long time and would rather not change. I don't see an end coming anytime soon though.....but I don't want to make a switch if it is going the exact same crap elsewhere. Cable is NOT an option for me as I refuse to use Spectrum or WOW, so that leaves DTV.

Is streaming an option for you? I was reluctant but now am super happy w/o Dish with YTTV, Philo and all the free stuff on streaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I got HBO back last night. And not even illegally, and still not paying for it. Realized parents have Cox and HBO. Took their HBO go login, and now ATT will forever be without one more subscriber, ever. And I don’t even use it all the time, so when my sister and brother want to use it, we all are on different hours.

Reactions: ncted
So I got HBO back last night. And not even illegally, and still not paying for it. Realized parents have Cox and HBO. Took their HBO go login, and now ATT will forever be without one more subscriber, ever. And I don’t even use it all the time, so when my sister and brother want to use it, we all are on different hours.
I believe what you are doing violates the TOS for HBO and/or Cox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)