I think I am ready to leave after 14 years......

Not if he shares a household with his parents or is a student that has a primary address the same as his parents. Plus have you ever really tried to read some of the TOS that companies try to make you adhere to?
Note I had no exclamation mark on my comment. :) Yeah I know, TOS are nearly impossible to make sense of and I know lots of people that do login sharing.

My parents have DTV but no computer or internet. I created an online user account for them so I could authenticate certain Roku channels for myself. No login sharing. We do share a service address, so I'm good, right? :D

Almost all of my federal paperwork goes through my parents address. According to the federal government I have 2 homes. Theirs and mine.

Well I guess I dont have much of a choice.

-Direct is ridiculously overpriced, and after year 1, who knows what will happen.
-Spectrum is garbage in my area
-Streaming is not the best solution for my application.

I can't find a better or different option at this point.

In the end, no matter the company, the consumer is always getting the shaft. Sucks.

In the end, no matter the company, the consumer is always getting the shaft. Sucks.

I don't understand people who think like this. It's a product and a service they are selling. If you don't think it is a good value, don't buy it. Go to your local library and check out some books. Go to garage sales and buy some vhs tapes to watch. You can't get the shaft unless you bend over.

Jaywalking is illegal? Hmm, I always thought it was just evolution in action.

It was a marketing ploy by the car industry to make car ownership a more pleasant experience. Later states and municipalities added laws in the name of "safety."

Reactions: HipKat
Well I guess I dont have much of a choice.

-Direct is ridiculously overpriced, and after year 1, who knows what will happen.
-Spectrum is garbage in my area
-Streaming is not the best solution for my application.

I can't find a better or different option at this point.

I am in the same boat. I cannot find anything better than Dish. The streaming services that have the channels I want suck in other ways (looking at you DNow with your pitiful DVR), and bundling streaming services doesn't save me any money over Dish, and means we'd have to use multiple apps to get our content, which is annoying. If I could get better OTA reception, I could maybe cut my bill by $10 a month, but I cannot (and it is only going to get worse with the repack).

Reactions: charlesrshell
It was a marketing ploy by the car industry to make car ownership a more pleasant experience. Later states and municipalities added laws in the name of "safety."
Don't kid yourself. It is a safety issue, especially at night. Around here, it's like cockroaches scurrying across the street. The worst part is that if I end up hitting someone, I'll be the one liable.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Don't kid yourself. It is a safety issue, especially at night. Around here, it's like cockroaches scurrying across the street. The worst part is that if I end up hitting someone, I'll be the one liable.

I'm not saying it isn't safer to try prevent people from walking out into dangerous roads. I put it in quotes because the real goal was to keep car speeds up to reduce traffic congestion in road planning efforts. Other countries took a different approach and focused on better driver education, slowing/stopping cars for pedestrians, and better public transportation, so pedestrians wouldn't have to cross as many streets. Of course, both strategies end up with congested cities.

Yes, it's a balancing act between safety and convenience. If the laws are followed, everyone benefits.

Now to the comparison to torrents being illegal... there's no safety issue there. :)

Reactions: ncted
I haven't read the whole thread, but does the OP live within decent OTA range to put up an antenna and get Univision that way? The only downfall is that Dish won't carry the guide data. Also, when does the Uni MAS contract come up. If Univision isn't coming back anytime soon, I don't see them playing nice in the sandbox for Uni MAS.

So I got HBO back last night. And not even illegally, and still not paying for it. Realized parents have Cox and HBO. Took their HBO go login, and now ATT will forever be without one more subscriber, ever. And I don’t even use it all the time, so when my sister and brother want to use it, we all are on different hours.
Although I do the same thing with my family, and have since I had Dish, be careful. It is within that gray area. You can't go to jail, but I'm sure there is an EULA that states the Go app is exclusively for the subscriber. Again, are they going to come after you? Most likely not, but it is within the realm of possibility.

I actually dealt with someone giving me crap because I use a VPN and the BBC iPlayer to watch Six Nations Rugby. Because I don't pay a British TV licensing fee, I was the devil to them. Guess what part of the world they actually call home. They didn't mind watching a match between Scottland and Whales when I had it on though. Just told me how much I suck while they watched it. Then Shrek 2 came on, and I was floored that the ugly stepsister was not voiced by Larry King in the UK, but some British actor. He really hated me then for making fun of that.

Reactions: HipKat
Although I do the same thing with my family, and have since I had Dish, be careful. It is within that gray area. You can't go to jail, but I'm sure there is an EULA that states the Go app is exclusively for the subscriber. Again, are they going to come after you? Most likely not, but it is within the realm of possibility.

Didn't some popular actor give out his log in credentials publicly a couple of years ago? I don't think he went to prison either.

Didn't some popular actor give out his log in credentials publicly a couple of years ago? I don't think he went to prison either.
It's the same as people who create Hackintosh (non-Apple PCs that run macOS). Most people who personally make one for self use won't get attacked by Apple. But, those who make and sell them are in for a court battle.

Those who do so for self use do so at their own risk, as Apple can use the EULA against the user of the pirated copy. In most cases, it would be bad for their image to go after someone in that case, and the ends wouldn't justify the means. But, it is in Apple's authority to sue the user. Still, they won't go to prison.

No violation with me. Technically, I still have an address at my parents house for the Feds mailing. Had to get creative since I am a gun buyer and builder as a hobby.

Reactions: Bruce