I think I figured out why 922 loses recordings

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
As you may have seen me post my 922 will lose recordings. I have watched it and seen it on the DVR list the show recording (with red dot), only to come back after the show is done and not find it in the DVR list. If you look back on the schedule you will see the shows supposedly recorded, it appears to just dump them.

I of course have only seen it do it a couple times, so I am not sure if it always records them and then loses them or something else happens. It has been very frustrating since I would seemingly randomly not have things recorded and the 922 says it recorded them in the schedule but nothing appears in the DVR list.

Well after some experimentation I seem to have ended the problem. It is not a pretty solution. Essentially if you want your SAT programs not to "disappear" do not use OTA recording. If the 922 loses the signal on an OTA tuner (enough for the annoying cover the whole screen message to pop up) while recording a SAT program, it will lose the SAT program. There must be some big bug in the OTA signal recovery that causes the 922 to malfunction and the result is that it for some reason dumps the SAT programs.

My OTA will drop every now and then for a second or so. Perhaps an airplane flying over or something (air force base nearby). Interesting that it rarely ever affects my TiVo. Many recordings it does not drop out, which is why I think it was hard to find this bug. I just happened to notice during AGT a few weeks ago that I had 2 drop outs and the full screen banner popped up to tell me, it was less than 1 second each drop out. But, the recordings going on the SAT tuners were in the DVR guide at the time, so I actually saw them being recorded. When AGT was over I went to watch the other 2 programs, and they were not there. They had disappeared.

So, I continued to monitor for other programs that it would miss. They always appeared on the schedule as recorded, they were always SAT tuners and there was an OTA program going on at the same time. I checked the OTA programs and they would have a drop out in them. OTA programs that did not have a drop out seemed to have the SAT timers work OK.

So, my fix was to move all OTA recordings to the TiVo. My 922 has not lost a timer since I did this. Of course it is not conclusive until I go a month, but I was losing 1-2 shows a week before.

Hopefully someone at Dish will find this bug. I would also like to see that annoying cover the whole screen until you hit OK or a 5 or so second timeout information dialog about lost OTA signal go away. A half second glitch is made far worse by Dish's solution. I also think that the 922 OTA tuner loses the signal far more than my 622 ever did. My TiVo very rarely has a glitch. I have really worked to find out the cause of the glitch, the signal bar will be 80-90% for an hour then all the sudden it loses the signal then back up to 80-90%.

This happened on my 922 again last week. And no OTA recordings were involved. I had timers set for Sons of Anarchy and Terriers which are back to back on FX. Sons recorded okay. Terriers showed the appropriate 1 hour + but when I started viewing the timer fired early as it should but when it was time to for Terriers to kick in I had 1 hour of black screen. Then the next morning I lost the 6am local news. Not even and hour of black screen. When I checked the history both of the programs I was missing stated Completed by User 2. I don't know how you can get User 2 involved unless you set the timer on line, which I did not for these. I don't recall if it was User 2 the other time or 2 it dropped nor the day of the week but it was the local 6am news. recorded from sat. This time I did call it in since we are told Dish wants to know of any and all issues with the 922.

I may have to start using my 622 to record more than 2 programs at once. Which I may be doing this fall. One night I'm recording 4 at once. I really need OTA for our local PBS in HD, at least until Dish turns it up.

I have distants from L.A. from AAD to provide me with more time shifting options. This way I record my ota ABC and FOX station and my sat delivered HD CW station at the same time. I record CBS & NBC from L.A. stations. This way I don't record more than 3 things at a time. I try not to over tax the 922 so it won't crap out on any recordings.

It could be possible that it is not an OTA glitch but just too many timers recording at once. If you do not use OTA it is of course limited to 2 SAT timers. I have removed almost all the locals recording from the 922 now. Only a couple shows I will use the SAT LiL when I have 3 locals to record at once since the TiVo only does 2 shows. I just do not trust the 922 to actually record everything.

It could be possible that it is not an OTA glitch but just too many timers recording at once. If you do not use OTA it is of course limited to 2 SAT timers. I have removed almost all the locals recording from the 922 now. Only a couple shows I will use the SAT LiL when I have 3 locals to record at once since the TiVo only does 2 shows. I just do not trust the 922 to actually record everything.

I also back up some recordings to my DISH dtv pal plus dvr for ota only. Just in case.

I have the same problem also and noticed that forcing the 922 down to a single recording at a time makes it more reliable. But after learning how to reset it a few weeks ago from advanced tech, I discovered that I could repeat system failure and now know why I am on my seventh receiver.

Hard reset procedure ( well as close as you can get)

1. Delete all recordings. Let system sit until it shows 0% full. If the system never returns to 0, the hard drive has been corrupted and needs reformatted which can not be done on site.

2. Delete all timer.

3. Remove the sat coax.

4. Run a switch test. It will take a while. When it says failed tell it to save. A warning saying that you are going to loose programing will come up. Save and return to the main menu.

5. Reboot the receiver ( preferable through the web page since the red button and power plug will eventally kill the file system and require the system to be returned)

6. Let the system error out. reboot again, unplug the system when it first shuts down.

7. Hook coax up and power up system. Let the system do its initial epg down load.

8. Run the switch test and save the results.

9. Rerurn to the main menu. the system should reaquire and do a very long program guide download. Reboot again.

10. when the system comes up do not add any timer or restore from the remote until the system has sat for 24 hours.

11. ONLY ADD TIMERS FROM THE REMOTE. DO NOT ADD PROGRAMMING FROM THE WEB PAGE OR ANY DISH PASS. See my explanation below.

I did the above and the next day added the timers from the remote. THe system was stable. THen I added a couple of shows from the web page and a keyword dishpass from the webpage and the system started to miss recordings and other weird behaviors. So I called dish and they send me receiver #6. The system was like my others, works fine for a few days and then starts to act weird. So I repeated the above procedure and added a bunch of times via the remote. Then I added via the web page and the system freaked. So I reset it again and this time added the web page programming and the system destablized within hours.

I called advanced tech support and told them what I discovered and after someone behind the scenes got involved they admitted that the web page programming is broken on the 922 and the keyword dish passes will break the system. Their recommendation was to only program it via the remote and try to keep only one or two recordings at a time and they highly suggested that I take the ota module out due to known issues. I asked them if there was any better solution at this time and they said no.

I asked to be connected to someone in customer retention and I pointed out that I have not had a working system for more than three weeks in a row since april. I asked the rep what can be done to keep me happy. And she said that Dish does not have to do anything, they have clearly tried working with me and all i need to do is use the system as it was designed and it will work fine. I pointed out that a 4 receiver based system should be able to handle all four tuners or it is kinda pointless and that a keyword based search is a basic DVR feature since Tivo introduced it in 1999. She said then cancel the service and pay the termination fee.

Luckily I have another solution. I am getting D* installed on tuesday. Since they have whole house DVR, I am installing two dvrs in my server room and putting a receiver on each television. I prefer the 922's interface and Dish programming but I want a system that will reliably record the news and shows without cutting off the shows early. My neighbors D* seems to be able to do that at least.

I will cancel dish this week and try to get someone with a clue to just let it go. Their 922s are broke and they do not want to admit it. They should have done better beta testing with this receiver to where it can at least act like a basic DVR.

If they want to make me pay the termination fee, I have every phone call recorded and all emails stored for when they sic a collection agency on me.

Pretty sad since I actually really like and prefered dish to this point since it is an easy process to have a receiver in my rv that receives the national networks. With d* it will be a nightmare.

Maybe you should of tried executive resolution department at ceo@echostar.com . They might of tried to switch you back to a 722k. The 722k was pretty rock solid till they introduced the latest software that has slowed the guide responsiveness. The executive resolution department has the power to work with you on this ,especially if you are going to churn.

Maybe you should of tried executive resolution department at ceo@echostar.com . They might of tried to switch you back to a 722k. The 722k was pretty rock solid till they introduced the latest software that has slowed the guide responsiveness. The executive resolution department has the power to work with you on this ,especially if you are going to churn.

They did that. They sent me a refurbed 722, no remotes, antennas, etc. I called to have them send someone out to bring the remotes/antenna and they said that they would have to charge for that and I would have to pay for the remotes/antennas.

They then sent me another 922. I went ahead and hooked it up and with the S108 update it(receiver #6) worked a little better for a while. And then it started to mess up as described earlier.

From what I am reading I am going to really miss many of the features of the 922 but I have to have keyword based programing and reliable recordings.

I missed 3 more this week. And all 3 show completed by user 2 in the history. I just wish I could find where that little rascal puts them:p 2 of them were off sat channels and 1 off OTA. None had been set online. I set a couple on line earlier and they both recorded and showed completed by user 1. The ones that have missed have been on both TV1 and TV2 as well as OTA. The only thing common is that user2 business.

Well 2 weeks now without lost recordings. I took all OTA off the 922 and put them on TiVo. The 922 now has a light load, rarely having to record more than one thing at a time.

I have had some missed recordings as well ,but not on ota . The ota recordings work quite well on my 922. But I lost one from CBS distant network from L.A. this week. My timer history showed it recorded but it wasn't in my folders. It happens some times but mostly on satellite shows for me. All of my ota stations come in at 100% and I am about 25 miles from the towers. I use the terk 44 clip on antenna with my dish.

I did find a way to lessen the load on the 922 though. I record at most 3 things at a time during prime time : ABC ota/FOX ota and CW from satellite. I record CBS sat/NBC sat from distant networks from L.A.. For the most part it works but like I said before , it missed one show from CBS : CSI. But luckily I backed up my CBS and NBC shows on my DISH pal plus dvr for ota . It can record two ota channels at the same time.

MikeD, check the history and see if the recording was completed by user2. And please call Dish. The CSR I spoke with today wrote up a ticket on this and if yours is dropping recordings completed by that lil rascal user2 also that may give them a clue.

Last edited:
It shows in my timer history:

CBS HD channel 78 KCBS completed by user 2.

Timer started: 9/23 11:00pm
Recording started: N/A
Timer stopped: 9/24 12:00am
Recording stopped: N/A

I checked on all my timer history and I have mostly timers completed by user 1. There is only two more timers that shows completed by user 2.

On 9/22 shows Morning Joe 209 MSNBC - this timer ran all day till I rebooted it at night when I got home around 6:00pm.

Completed by user 2

Timer started: 9/22 5:00am
Recording started: 922 5:00am
Timer stopped: 9/22 8:00 am
Recording stopped: n/a

ON 9/24 Good morning America on ota channel 12.1, it ran all day till I got home also.

Completed by user 2

Timer started : 9/24 7:00am
Recording started : 9/24 7:00am
Timer stopped :9/24 9:00am
Recording stopped: n/a

Last edited:
This must be the bug called tv 2 user. Now I have some manual timers created using remote access, which would be by tv 2 , but the Cbs timer is not a manual timer. Neither is the ota channel timers. But you have actually isolated a bug here with the tv 2 user timer glitches.

The mysterious User 2 has returned after going away for the summer.

Got one of my recordings last week. All tho only 1 out of 26 isn't too bad and of course my 722 did record the missed show. Would be nice if I didn't have to duplicate all my timers on two DVRs.

I do not believe/remember mine losing OTA recordings. Just satellite programs. They show completed by USER2, I have even seen them in the DVR list with the red dot, only to disappear. But, I have noticed this happened when I was recording OTA at the same time (OTA would not be lost).

Now it is just possible that it is not really OTA, just when it does 2-3 recordings at a time it runs the risk of program loss. By unloading all my OTA to the TiVo the times when multiple recordings happen at the same time is now rare (1-2x/week now vs 10+ before).

i didn't lose an OTA recording last night but i did lose Stargate Atlantis. i didn't have any other recordings happening at that time but one had been recording from OTA at the start of recording SA and one started recording as the show ended. i remember seeing it in my recordings while it was recording but when i went to watch it about 30 minutes after it was over, the recording wasnt there. luckily it was replayed at 10 so i caught that recording, just hope this will get fixed and not happen often.

Yesterday, I got two ota shows that said in my timer history that they recorded but were not in any folder or any theme folders or even by themselves. Glee and Dancing with the Stars showed as recorded on both my ota fox and ota abc but were not there. I did notice that during playback of pre recorded shows last night, that the screen would black out and there would be dead silence . This seemed to correspond with the start of both shows at 7:00 pm and again at 8:00pm. The 922 is starting to act like my old 921 . I had to baby sit the 921 daily . Looks like I will have to start doing daily reboots before prime time starts, to prevent any problems, just like my 921 pvr. Luckily I caught the mistake and recorded the two shows on the west coast distant networks.

I have lost several more since my last post. And there is no pattern. I lost one that was the only thing to record within a 4 hour window, 1 hour before and 2 after had no recordings. I lost 2 that were recording at the same time. I even watched a few minutes of 1 that was supposedly recording. It had the recording icon on the avatar on the My Recordings page. The next day it was gone. And I have now lost one that history said was completed by user1 so it's not just a user2 bug. As stated earlier, I'm glad I have a couple of 622s to back this jewel up with.

I called yesterday because of the continued loss of recordings coupled with video/audio drops while watching/listening to the XM channels live. No drops on recordings of HD programming. I should get the replacement by next Tuesday.
Betcha a dollar to a doughnut hole it loses recordings also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)