I think I screwed up my router - any ideas?

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
I have a D-Link DI-624 which I recently upgraded the firmware on. Problem is, the first time I tried to do it I committed the Cardinal Sin and tried to push the upgrade over the wireless connection (it was REALLY late and I was tired...).

Of course, that locked up the box, but I was able to push the "pin-hole" reset button and then redid the firmware upgrade via cable (although it said it was already at the newer version after I reset it). It seemed to go fine, but now I am having problems with it. The wireless connection stays up fine, but I keep losing the WAN side and have to reset it every 3-4 hours or less - it's dropped in the middle of several downloads on my PC or PS3. I had some intermittent problems like this in the past, but it was like once or twice a month, not several times a day.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I have done and what I might be able to do to fix it? I'm nearly positive that all of my settings are the same as they were before. I'm trying some last ditch efforts here before just breaking down and buying a new router.

Thanks, I actually found that information right after I posted here.... I'm going to try the recovery with the current firmware and see if that works first. If not, I may come back and ask you for an older version.

Double check all the settings on the routers setup and check the settings on the computer, also check the release notes for that update as it should include any fixes.

Some firmware upgrades have the ability to save your current settings while others wipe everything and make you start over. In your situation, with the possible failed update, I'd make sure ALL old settings are wiped out and try things again.

Not sure if you're still have issues, but I have a DI-624 as well. I have a few firmware versions stashed away on my Mac , if you need em.

Thanks, guys... after going through all the steps I was still having problems, so I checked on AT&T's help website and figured out how to manage the settings of my DSL modem. Lo and behold, the setting for DHCP lease time for LAN devices was defaulted to 10 minutes (10 minutes!), and once I changed that, I haven't had a single problem since. Not sure how that got screwed up, but it seems to be fine now.