I Thought Alltel Was Bought Out By Verizon

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
The strangest thing,we're getting Alltel commercials with Chad again in our area(even though we don't have any stores,voice,or data plans available where I live).

Yeah, I always thought the last Alltel ad should have gone:
"Get in the van, Chad. You're one of us now"

Looks like the FCC forced Verizon to shed some of the bandwidth back to Alltel. From the about us page:

llied Wireless Communications Corporation (AWCC) is a wireless telecommunications provider based in Little Rock, Arkansas. The company serves subscribers in six states – Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Illinois, Ohio and Idaho.

AWCC is a subsidiary of Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATNI), a Massachusetts based telecommunications company operating advanced wireless, wireline, and both terrestrial and submarine fiber optic networks in North America and the Caribbean.

AWCC was formed in connection with ATN's agreement to purchase wireless properties, licenses and network assets from Verizon Wireless in early 2010. Verizon was required by the Federal Communications Commission to sell these coverage areas.

The merger's been a MESS. We had good Alltel Service, and close towers. Verizon Buys out Alltel, FCC says, "shut down some of the towers"..so our service (coverage) gets worse. We retain all our numbers when we renew following the merger, but...one device, a "wireless to wired" box called a Tellular that we use for our business is something they (Verizon) supposedly can't activate because it was USED ON the Alltel network. They also wouldn't let us keep our Alltel Phones that worked all the way through the merger! What a complete mess.....and, now a box we spent about $500 on that Verizon won't activate!

Really tired of this "buy out your competition" stuff that the FCC and FTC seem to think is good for America.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)