I thought this was not possible.

found here:
AnandTech - HTC Thunderbolt Review: The First Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

and if you just google thunderbolt and dual antennas you will have plenty of other answers...again, the thunderbolt is the ONLY phone on verizon that can do this because of this dual antenna (radio) setup..that is what makes it possible...Dual Antennas have everything to do with it in this situation...While berck might be right in other situations when it comes to verizon and the thunderbolt his logic dosent apply...also Don if you havent taken the MR2 OTA (which I assume your phone is bugging you to do) it will shut down your free wifi hotspot...but it has made my thunderbolt back to where it should be, battery life is good, and I dont get the random reboots which I use to!

If you read that quote and article you posted you'll see it has nothing to do with dual antennas. It's dual transceivers, which is what I said the very first time. Transceivers, transceivers, transceivers!!!!!

Oh, and after reading the article more closely, you'll find it actually has three antennas. One of which is dedicated to WiFi. One for Tx/Rx voice and Rx data (diversity use). The last is a dedicated data antenna that supports all three bands. They didn't need to do this but the choose too. One good reason they may have done it was to add diversity to help improve the receiving signal for data. Hence, 3G data is actually using two antennas.

Last edited:
berck- I didn't read his post as that specific. Just that when a lay person says "Towers" for the subject of Cell phone, he is not thinking of the support structure that holds up the antennas but rather the entire RF facility. Likewise, stuart628, likely is not an electronics engineer with a specialty in radio or cell phone RF, but rather just a casual tech geek who learns from what others post on the subject. When he uses "antennas", he is probably thinking the entire RF sections of the phone. I tried to be more general and used the term "radio" like you use transceivers ( a term lost by many lay people) I also know that Qualcom is making combination single chips to include the multiple radios for the different bands in a single chip form. These latest designs enabled CDMA, LTE and GSM radios on one chip form. I don't recall they also had the wifi radio and BT as well. The article addresses this in the Thunderbolt.

Anyway, what I thought was interesting is that in an area where there was no LTE ( 4G) signal, I was not disconnected from my internet connection when a call came in and the 3G data continued to flow. The following quote from the same article is what actually explains it, not the number of antennas although indirectly it is related to the issue.:

If you want the short story, the Thunderbolt fully supports simultaneous CDMA2000-1x voice and 3G EVDO or 4G LTE data. The way this is done should already be somewhat obvious - the MSM8655 gives the Thunderbolt a continual free CDMA 1x connection for voice, SMS, and slow data, and the MDM9600 does all the 3G EVDO and 4G LTE data heavy lifting. What this boils down to is real SVDO (Simultaneous Voice Data Optimized) and SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and Long Term Evolution data).

RE- New update: I will not take the update for now. I have no reboot issues, never have, and my battery life is quite adequate for 30 minutes of talk time and continuous 4G data polling my e-mail every 5 minutes. If I use the phone for surfing internet or streaming, the screen on, then the battery lasts much much less. I carry a spare and a couple times a month I have had to use it. The spare rides in my belt case for the phone in a small pocket. I think if I yacked on my phone all day long like I see some people do, I'd have to get a phone just for jaw jacking ( non smart phone). Actually, the Thunderbolt is the most trouble free phone I have ever had, but I can see some who jaw jack all day and constantly staring at the phone screen 40 minutes of every waking hour, will suffer short battery life. The most I use the phone is listing to audible books and in this case the battery still lasts because the app shuts down the screen while listening. I can be listening via BT to audible books for 5 hours and still have plenty of battery to complete the day.

berck- I didn't read his post as that specific. Just that when a lay person says "Towers" for the subject of Cell phone, he is not thinking of the support structure that holds up the antennas but rather the entire RF facility. Likewise, stuart628, likely is not an electronics engineer with a specialty in radio or cell phone RF, but rather just a casual tech geek who learns from what others post on the subject. When he uses "antennas", he is probably thinking the entire RF sections of the phone. I tried to be more general and used the term "radio" like you use transceivers ( a term lost by many lay people) I also know that Qualcom is making combination single chips to include the multiple radios for the different bands in a single chip form. These latest designs enabled CDMA, LTE and GSM radios on one chip form. I don't recall they also had the wifi radio and BT as well. The article addresses this in the Thunderbolt.

Thanks Don, I kind of figured that when I read his explanation. I just thought it was so funny when he posted an article that pretty much said what I stated the very first time.

Think of it this way. All it takes is one panel to cover a sector on a tower. For CDMA that sector will handle the 1X voice/sms carrier(s) and also the EVDO carrier(s). And its all still one panel antenna talking to many phones at once.

What I was saying is that the ONLY reason the Thunderbolt is able to do Voice and Data at the same time while you were on the phone (the reason for the thread) is because it has two antennas...the msm8655 and the mdm9600...If it were not for that reason then the Thunderbolt would not be able to do that, it dosent matter what was on the actual Tower antenna...I meant the antennas in the phone when I said the thunderbolt had two antennas and was the only phone on verizon that is capable of this...sorry if I didnt make that clear.

What I was saying is that the ONLY reason the Thunderbolt is able to do Voice and Data at the same time while you were on the phone (the reason for the thread) is because it has two antennas...the msm8655 and the mdm9600...If it were not for that reason then the Thunderbolt would not be able to do that, it dosent matter what was on the actual Tower antenna...I meant the antennas in the phone when I said the thunderbolt had two antennas and was the only phone on verizon that is capable of this...sorry if I didnt make that clear.

No you made that clear. If you read the article you posted you'll find that the msm8655 and mdm9600 provide two transceivers. These are what is responsible for allowing both modes to happen at the same time. You can have a 100 antennas and they won't make any difference unless you have more transceivers to decode the channels. My company uses a single antenna to check multiple channels of data. All at the same time.

Lol... We are really saying the same thing.... I have never heard the word transceiver before as I really don't go that deep down the rabbit hole... But yes you are correct.... The Thunderbolt has two radios (or Antenna if you don't mind me still saying that). The it allows it to operate in 1x2 mode meaning one send.... Two receive. With one being dedicated to voice sms and the other doing data... Correct?

Not really. Since there are transceivers it is two transmit streams and 2 receive. 2 are for the EVDO channel and 2 are for the 1X channel to talk and use data at the same time. The antenna part is confusing when you say it that way. Your phone has one antenna for bluetooth and wifi. But yet you can use bluetooth and wifi at the same time right?

Lol... We are really saying the same thing.... I have never heard the word transceiver before as I really don't go that deep down the rabbit hole...

No, it's not the same thing. Yes I understand your simple view but it is not correct. But you did good by finding the link with the correct information, even if you didn't understand it. Some rabbit holes ARE just too deep. :)

The one thing that I did not know was that Qualcom made a chip that included an LTE plus a 3D EVDO output used in the Thunderbolt. When I get more time I want to go to Qualcom and read up on that chip. That unique property, explained in the article is the real answer to why I was able to do simultaneous voice and 3G EVDO on the Thunderbolt in a non LTE region. The use of " two antennas" to explain it is quite inaccurate technically but I guess acceptable to anyone who doesn't understand the difference between antenna and transceiver.

The LG Revolution is capable of doing that as well since it is equipped with same radios.

I believe this is the case only when connected to 4g LTE...When connected to just 3G with the revolution it is not possible.

The combination of MSM8655 and L2000 means that the LG Revolution supports simultaneous voice and data only when connected to 4G LTE.

Found Here:
http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/4450?cPage=3&all=False&sort=0&page=3&slug=lg-revolution

I am trying to learn here guys cut me a break :D

The LG Revolution is capable of doing that as well since it is equipped with same radios.

According to Stuart's source, the LG phone does not use the same radio chip. It uses it's own L2000 which does not handle the 3D EVDO data connection. Therefore it relies on the voice chip and modem for 3G. Consequently can't do both 3G and Voice at the same time. Stuart correctly interpreted the 3rd paragraph.

Guys, I got my answer to the original question as the specifics were in the link, but everyone should now know that this feature is based on actual individual phone design and not that every LTE phone will have simultaneous voice and EVDO data. It appears that the Thunderbolt design has not been outpaced by newer phones yet in this respect.

If the phone is using true VoIP..it should not matter if the internet connection is 3G or 4G....In otherwords you probably were not using cdma to make a call in a 3G area,u were using VoIP. VoIP gets buried in the internet connection and does not require a separate voice connection. If you were to use "SKYPE" on a Verizon 3G Phone ,you "should" be able to surf and talk at the same time. The geniuses at Verizon decided to count "skype" minutes the same as regular minutes on my Droid X2. (With calls in the US). Skype can be used to make regular calls as well as video calls

Last edited:
If the phone is using true VoIP..it should not matter if the internet connection is 3G or 4G....In otherwords you probably were not using cdma to make a call in a 3G area,u were using VoIP. VoIP gets buried in the internet connection and does not require a separate voice connection. If you were to use "SKYPE" on a Verizon 3G Phone ,you "should" be able to surf and talk at the same time. The geniuses at Verizon decided to count "skype" minutes the same as regular minutes on my Droid X2. (With calls in the US). Skype can be used to make regular calls as well as video calls

What in the heck are you talking about? :confused:

somebody didnt read the whole thread :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts