I took the HD-DVD Plunge

motorcycle_rider

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 8, 2004
Northeast Michigan
I know that I have said that I would not buy till it was decided in the past, but I just could not take it any more. I also told my wife I would not buy until I found a player for under $100.00.

I found a deal that I could not pass up with my want of a HD-DVD Player.

I got a Toshiba A3 with 3 free HD-DVDs on top of the two that are included, I think "300" and one of the bourne movies. Plus I bought a low end HDMI - DVI-D cable for a grand total of $190.51 shipped from Amazon. Plus I still get 5 free movies from the rebate. So all and all for what I am getting I can swallow the price, well till the wife sees that I ordered it.

The link for the deal I used Get 10 Free HD DVDs with Selected HD DVD Players

Oh just a note It showed full prices for the movies I ordered until just before I checked out.

Last edited:
Did the same deal just before Thanksgiving $159 (no cable). I wasn't going to choose either, but at that price it's really a no risk bargain. Welcome to HD-DVD you're gonna love it! :D

NightRyder

Thinking of doing the same thing. 10 free movies is hard to pass up and I prefer the HD-DVD movies available anyway. We also need an upconverting DVD player and something to decode dts since our old receiver only decodes dolby digital. Also thinking of adding a BOGO pair as well, can't pass up serenity and Dune on the cheap.
$200 shipped for the player and 12 HD-DVDs, don't see how I can talk myself out of it.

If I was you I'd be checking the price for the A3 for the next 30 days. You may stumble on a day where the price is lower. Then contact them for the 30 day price match, I saw it about a week after purchase for $50 less and they processed my refund with in 24 hours.

First of all, I apologize for not being very knowledgeable, so please forgive my stupid question. The HDDVD player you purchased says 1080i. Does that mean it will not produce a 1080p signal? My TV displays 1080p so would I need to purchase the higher end model? Thanks.

Saw they had the price match. Was going to wait till middle of next month in case of a better sale but $178 and the price match is pretty good.

Sorry for the double post, but I am not getting the edit button, just a minimalist display of boxes of text.
The cnet review on the Toshiba 3rd gen players says that the 1080p decoding isn't that great and recommend staying at 1080i, which does look great. That, and my TV is only 720p this one is all I would need. The tv is not large enough and we are too far away to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p.
The next model up, with 1080p, is $248, $150 off.

Edit: Just figured it out. Must have put it in PDA mode somehow.

If I was you I'd be checking the price for the A3 for the next 30 days. You may stumble on a day where the price is lower. Then contact them for the 30 day price match, I saw it about a week after purchase for $50 less and they processed my refund with in 24 hours.

Some of the entry level HD DVD players are like that. according to BD fans that is a fatal flaw. According to the HD DVD crows the frame rate is such that a 1080p can successfully de interlace the the picture.

Thanks for the idea of watching for the price match. Ohh by the way I also got the Amazon Credit card and will be getting an additional $30.00 credit. So a my out of pocket is even less once I get the credit.

As for the player I chose being only 1080i. Well that fits perfect as my tv only supports 1080i. When I upgrade that, and I am slow to do upgrades, I will consider upgrading the player to match. Hell by that time hopefully the format war will be over.

Just sent in the order. Should arrive by the 10th. Now we just need to wait for a sale on the TV we want.

Thanks for the idea of watching for the price match. Ohh by the way I also got the Amazon Credit card and will be getting an additional $30.00 credit. So a my out of pocket is even less once I get the credit.

As for the player I chose being only 1080i. Well that fits perfect as my tv only supports 1080i. When I upgrade that, and I am slow to do upgrades, I will consider upgrading the player to match. Hell by that time hopefully the format war will be over.
If you upgrade to a good 1080p TV it'll convert your 1080i signal just fine.

Well my A3 arrived today, and I hooked it up via component. Waiting for the HDMI- DVI cable to arrive, it should be here Monday. My wife insisted we watch Bourne Identity and she mentioned the fact that we have not been impressed with video qualty of HD since we first got VOOM.

As for upconverting well till my cable gets here I am SOL as everything I popped in was restricted to 480p.

As a side note I did do a firmware upgrade as mine did not have the most up to date firmware.

Well yesterday my HMDI-DVI cable came and I am glad to say now I am able to upconvert all DVD's to 1080i. I was concerned that using the cable would still have HDCP issues and there was not. WHEW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts