I tried to get Dish this Week.

Seems a reminder is in order that the OP does not have a "local guy" retailer since his only options are Verizon stores. He certainly should deal directly with Dish.

Yea, probably so. The sales people that work at the Verizon stores and the Cellular Connections and the like have little or no Dish experience and I'm sure most of the regulars on this forum are much more knowledgeable.

No one is putting Dish Down.. We are just speaking up for the local guy. If you had a business you would understand how we feel when we offer a product that is the same as Dish offers, And you call some guy in another state to get it. Your money goes out of state instead of staying in the local area to be used by us to support other local businesses.. It just makes sense to deal with the local guys if you can get the same product for the same deal.

Just a question, but aren't the local DNS guys that come out to do any installs, if one went through DISH directly, putting money back into the local area to be used for supporting other local businesses? How is that sending money out of state? I am asking an honest question and just trying to see how putting a middle man in the equation saves money in the long run as you will have to make some off the top to stay in business, no?

The DNS tech may be in your area or state but any money you are paying is going to Dish and not that tech. Dish is paying that service deptartment on their own. I suppose you can look at it in a way that the money you pay Dish is eventually circling back around to your area but it's not quite the same.

The company that Dish sub-contracts the DNS work to in our area is based in an adjacent state, several hundred miles away. It's not a question of cutting the middle man out to make it cheaper, it's a question of who does Dish pay to do the job. Is it gonna be a local professional dealer/installer from your community with probably years and years of experience who's out to make his customers very happy to get more customers or a Dish employee or sub-contractor employee from who knows where that has who knows what in the way of experience and who hopes they never see or hear from you again.

The reason for a retailer, in the case of the Hopper, is because Dish (their ordering system) does not allow ordering a Hopper without a least one Joey. Retailers can. But in your case, it does not matter...two Hoppers with two or three Joeys. Contact Dirt!!!!!

That's not true, you can order a second hopper through dish chat on their website, they'll pull some strings and talk with their supervisor to get it approved but eventually you get 2 Hoppers plus Joeys or no Joeys

That's not true, you can order a second hopper through dish chat on their website, they'll pull some strings and talk with their supervisor to get it approved but eventually you get 2 Hoppers plus Joeys or no Joeys
Did you?

Just a question, but aren't the local DNS guys that come out to do any installs, if one went through DISH directly, putting money back into the local area to be used for supporting other local businesses? How is that sending money out of state? I am asking an honest question and just trying to see how putting a middle man in the equation saves money in the long run as you will have to make some off the top to stay in business, no?

The DNS guy is getting pennies on the dollar back compared to what a local retailer brings in. Dish keeps most of the money when you call them. I feel for most of the DNS guys I know. They work really hard, but are paid peanuts.. I wish I could afford to hire them all. But as long as people keep calling Dish instead of me, I don't have enough work to hire anymore people.

My friend at work was able to get 2 Hopper & 2 Joey setup from Dish Chat. I think he paid 100 for that setup plus 2 years of contract.

Given that the majority of comments in various threads about getting a 2 Hopper no Joey install seem to indicate that is a real rarity when calling Dish directly, I didn't even bother calling. Called my local dealer late on Thursday, installed first thing on Friday. No 'eventually' about it, short call and quick service. I suppose I could have called and tried for the exception to their rules, but why bother when going through a retailer is so easy?

Local retailers are a crapshoot. Some are great. Some are crap. Unless you can get a personal reference vouching for the quality of a specific local retailer, contacting Dish directly is a prospective customer's best bet, especially a DIRT member here.

Ordering thru Dish or DirecTV is a total crap shoot. You don't know who's coming to your house to start drilling and running wires, etc. We had a nice kid who worked at the local grocery store. I saw him one Friday and he said that would be the last I saw him there at the store. He told me was gonna start installing DirecTV the following week and they were gonna give him a whole five days of training. He'd never even used an electric drill before! We've been in business for 28 years. Our least experienced person has been doing this for 9 years. Who would you rather show up at your house to do your install?

If you call a local dealer and they obviously don't know what they're doing or you're not happy with what you hear or what you see when they show up then you can just try another one. If you run out of local choices then you can call Dish or contact DIRT and take your chances. If you have a good local retailer your entire experience should be much easier and better in general. That's just the way it is.

If you run out of local choices then you can call Dish or contact DIRT and take your chances. If you have a good local retailer your entire experience should be much easier and better in general. That's just the way it is.
My last three installs/service calls were by Dish employees. I couldn't even try to think of how they could have better. Tip-worthy. Prior, they subcontracted a dealer. (no longer in business, obviously). It was just a few months before the digital transition. The installer told me that when it took place, my 722 would not be able to receive local channels. I also had to explain....and print out the illustration, of how to use splitters to get the TV2 remote antenna to the room its in. So, I don't think any blanket statement of who is better can be made.

So, I don't think any blanket statement of who is better can be made.
yep. the Dish contracted guys here locally do a pretty nice job. Not sure if they would have been able to do the original install a few years back, but the upgrade to the hopper system was excellent.

I wouldn't even know where to go for a local retailer. The Dish website only lists a few businesses for our area that i've never even heard of.

Last edited:
My last three installs/service calls were by Dish employees. I couldn't even try to think of how they could have better. Tip-worthy. Prior, they subcontracted a dealer. (no longer in business, obviously). It was just a few months before the digital transition. The installer told me that when it took place, my 722 would not be able to receive local channels. I also had to explain....and print out the illustration, of how to use splitters to get the TV2 remote antenna to the room its in. So, I don't think any blanket statement of who is better can be made.

I wasn't making a blanket statement. I was citing examples. I said that if you have a GOOD local retailer that you can call and talk to and has a lot of experience and good referrals then you will be better off. And I stand by that statement. Why would anybody prefer an unknown from Dish or their local sub contractor? Obviously as has been said countless times before, there are good and bad from both retailers and DNS and their sub contractors. If you have a bad local retailer stay away, if you have a good one then you're lucky and he/she can usually make your Dish experience even better.

The only local dealers in my area are also Verison Wireless stores. I went to 2 different stores in 2 different towns.
I told them we had 5 TVs, both told me all that I needed was 1 Hopper & 3 Joeys. I told them that I wanted to be able to have at least one live tuner for each TV.
They said 1 Hopper & 3 Joeys would do that. I started to argue with them, then I decided maybe Dish is not the way to go.
It continous to amaze me with the lack of training companies give sales people & the hoops the companies make customers jump through to buy their services.

After reading all the posts in here it looks like we have a whiner! If you aren't smart enough to contact Dish directly then you just use a foil antenna and be happy

The best reason for a local retailer is that they are in your town. They usually understand what you really want. And they can make things fit the way you want them too.. They are not some guy in Tim-Buk-Too reading cue cards. And when you have an issue you can usually call them and get help or answers without going through the hoops of an 800 number. And you are supporting your local city versus somewhere you never heard of. Yes, I know there are bad retailers out there too. But for the most part, they don't stay in business long doing a bad job. Good retailers have a track record you can actually check on. It really irks me when I hear people tell someone to CALL Dish or DIRT because they are better.. Well they are not better than me, or any of the retailers I know of around my area. My business has been built around making my customer happy. I can do anything that Dish can do when it comes to installing equipment. And in many cases I can do things that they can't do.

Agree, however there are fewer and fewer local retailers in the electronics business, just like it is not easy to find a local computer repair shop. I have a local shop that I deal with, he's been in business for many years, does great work and definitely shows up when he says he will. On the other hand DIRT is a very good resource. If you don't have a retailer to deal with or you don't find the retailer reliable use DIRT they are the next best, and yes sometimes better, thing.
As far as verizon goes, in my opinion they are what I would call a third party retailer. They bundle dish with voice and dal in areas that they don't have FIOS, in an effort to compete with those cable triple play deals. I really wouldn't call verizon a dish retailer at least not by whine definition we refer to a retailer here.

Ross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Updates

Eastern arc and only one satalite???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)