I want a 942 but....

mothergoose45

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
I want to lease a 942, but I need to know FOR SURE that i will not get screwed when MPEG-4 comes out. If I lease has anyone heard if Dish will upgrade it to MPEG-4 for free???????????

Just talked to a CSR at dish and he told me they would switch it out at no charge. Has anyone heard this?

Nope. I just received my 942 today. If past history is correct and the last earnings report, they expect to replace 25 million boxes anyway because MPEG4 will replace MPEG2 completely. Past history has shown that eithre they will replace or charge an upgrade. Don't think they are going to leave us out to dry unless that is the way you want it.

mothergoose45 said:
I want to lease a 942, but I need to know FOR SURE that i will not get screwed when MPEG-4 comes out. If I lease has anyone heard if Dish will upgrade it to MPEG-4 for free???????????
If you're leasing, and the new receivers come out, cancel your lease! I personally think they will upgrade it for you, after all, they want to keep subscribers.
Tom in TX

I take you are all new Dish subs? I have tried to get 942 lease but consistently have been told they will only lease these to new subs.

Regrettably I canceled Dish today (after being with for them for 8 years and becoming use to using my Dish 508 DVR) and will get COX cable and their HD DVR.

I really wanted the HD DVR (and was willing to pay $250.00 just to lease it). It seems that Dish doesn't understand how much they piss off loyal subs just so they can continue to add new ones.

I'll take my chances with the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD from COX. At least I'll have an HD DVR without having to beg for it. And, if it gives me problems, I'll know I haven't put money into it nor have I had to make any time commitment to give it a try.
That seems to be about all I can do at this point in time.

By the way, I briefly had the 8000HD from Charter and I can tell you that the channel guide is clunky 8-bit graphics from the Atari 2600 days and that it's sluggish at changing channels -- big hestitation when going from SD channel to HD channel. And, if you try to change channels too rapidly the thing locks up. I asked for an 8300 unit two weeks ago and they said they didn't have any. I dropped off my 8000 a couple of days ago when I cancelled the service to go with Dish/VOOM10 and what do I see in the office on their HD set? An 8300 unit. What idiots. Cable customer service for me has always been worse than sat customer service. By the way, I had both Charter and Dish for two months and can tell you that Dish PQ beats Charter (at least in my area -- cable providers vary considerably by area).

I agree...current, loyal subscribers should not have to put up with this BS of not being allowed to lease a 942. I'm on the verge of packing my bags from Dish...just giving them until the NFL season starts. If they don't have a lease program for the 942, I'm heading over to...gulp...TWC.

fenwah said:
I agree...current, loyal subscribers should not have to put up with this BS of not being allowed to lease a 942. I'm on the verge of packing my bags from Dish...just giving them until the NFL season starts. If they don't have a lease program for the 942, I'm heading over to...gulp...TWC.

You are absolutely right. There is no reason for you to put up with this BS from Dish. You will probably be much happier with TWC. I mean, what possible right does Dish have to refuse to lease a 942 to an existing customer? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, it does seem like an odd way to treat your customers... especially someone that has been that has been with them so long (8 years). If I was "allowed" to have new product when it became available, I would probably be a customer forever.

I have completely upgraded my tv (to Pioneer Plasma) and audio equipment and expected that my satellite service would let me upgrade to enjoy the full potential of the thousands on dollars I've spent on new equipment. I have a 508 DVR and have become reliant on that machine to let me watch the programs I enjoy when it is convenient for me. I didn't mind paying for the right to lease the 942, but I didn't want to own it (it might have been different if MPEG4 wasn't on the horizon with no guarantee from Dish that my purchased DVR wouldn't be useless in 6-12 months). I have the money to spend on this kind of thing and I'm insulted that I had to beg to get the 10 VOOM channels and beg even harder to try to get the DVR... but was put off and denied because I'm a good customer.
This is just plain stupid!

bobaphx,

Totally agree with you. I just don't get it with Dish. I'd jump right away at the first chance of being able to lease/buy a 942 from them... but Noooooo! they want me to 'overpay' for a crappy/buggy 921 instead.

The H said:
I'd jump right away at the first chance of being able to lease/buy a 942 from them...
The Dish site now says, for the 942: "Available to new and existing customers. Existing customers may only purchase through one of our participating retailers."

Tom Bombadil said:
Good luck with Cox and their HD DVR. I've visited forums of users of boxes like the Motorola HD DVRs and their horror stories exceed those in this forum for the 921.
That's odd. I've been following the Moto 6412 threads, and even though the AVS forums have more members than this or dbstalk, the 921 horror stories on the latter two have always seemed to outweigh the 6412's on AVS. The 811 is no bed of roses, either. I can personally vouch for that.

GaryPen said:
That's odd. I've been following the Moto 6412 threads, and even though the AVS forums have more members than this or dbstalk, the 921 horror stories on the latter two have always seemed to outweigh the 6412's on AVS. The 811 is no bed of roses, either. I can personally vouch for that.

I woudl agree when I was researching leaving Dish becauase on 2 defective 921s and the third is buggy as hell I was ready to go Comcast. I saw very few issues or complaints on the 6412. the 2 things that stopped me currenlty are the smaller HD in the 6412, and the damn Voom channels. I have to stick aroudn and check out the Voom channels, whcih just got turned on 2 days ago for me. So far very cool. But the 921 is driving me nuts. I'll give them one more SW update and if the major bugs remain then I will either go Comcast of switch to my cell phone and order a 942 as a new sub!

I am an existing customer and got the lease deal done for $250. :yes I don't feel like re-typing the whole story again. You can check it out in the 942 Availability topic in the 942 Support Forum at DBStalk.

Also, several other folks have posted the same experience of getting the lease deal done there as well. Just in case your interested.