I want an HD DVR SOOO BAD...tempted to switch.

hannonpi

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
I am itching to get an hd dvr. My pc based system just doesn't hack it. Has anyone switched from voom to get their hands on the directv hd tivo? Please voom get this thing out! I don't want to give up...rush and word sports (of all things -- I am hopelessly enthralled by hard water, and love watching surfing in hd)....

paddy hannon

It wouldn't be so bad if at least somebody "in the know" around here would drop a little info about it. The longer they go without talking about it, the more convinced I am that we'll ever see it.

I have a friend here at work that saw a $200 rebate from D* offer for new subs if they got the Hughes HR10-250 Tivo. His original contract was up, so he tried to order the box through D* using that deal. They gave him the run around that since he was already a customer that he wouldn't qualify for the rebate. He volunteered that he would enter in to the 2 year commitment for the rebate and they still turned him down.

These HD DVR's are still over $800 and only work with D* and require a term commitment to activate. I will wait a little longer for some more HD DVRs to enter the market before choosing one.

Reading some of Wilt's e-mails it does seem like they are testing a DVR, someone came around and posted pretty specific specs, I know it sucks, but I would just wait around a bit, when Voom's DVR hits I think, it will be worth it (plus it will probably have a lease option).

My local cable company offers an HD-DVR so I'm thinking of going that way. I can always come back to Voom when/if they get around to releasing their DVR. I just need to wait until October to swicth because I need my Fox Sports World for the Aussie Rules football coverage and Comcast doesn't yet have FSW in my area (coming soon allegedly).

Thats what is keeping me around so far....channels I can't get elsewhere make (for me) a strong case for voom. But, when the fall season starts I'm going to be hard pressed to explain to my gf that we can't record the apprentice because I choose voom over D*....

paddy

We are also dying to have an HD DVR, but we have had two Tivo's (SD) and both failed after about 18 months, both times with tons of unwatched Soprano's (and this year Deadwood) episodes unwatched and lost forever (or at least until the DVD's come out). I do not think the DVR is at the same level of reliability as most electronic equipment (but I am an enthusiast, not an expert). So, my enthusasism is tempered by experience, and my guess is, the new HD units will be a problem too (maybe this is why they are late).

I'm watching the oly thru sd tivo rather than hd b/c I just can't sit through 6 hrs of stuff. I need to fast forward thru the filler, the annoying commercial, etc.

hannonpi said:
Thats what is keeping me around so far....channels I can't get elsewhere make (for me) a strong case for voom. But, when the fall season starts I'm going to be hard pressed to explain to my gf that we can't record the apprentice because I choose voom over D*....

paddy

The Apprentice will be in SD use a regular TiVO if you have it already or a VCR. Too bad reality shows are still in SD though.

My local TWC just sent me an email yesterday saying their HD-DVR's are now available. Makes it very tempting to go back - but, of course, TWC still doesn't have ESPN-HD.

I could go with D* and get both ESPN-HD and the DVR - but then, I'm out $1000 and committed to a year of worthless SD programming.

Yesterday, when I was talking to a CSR about another totally unrelated issue, I asked him how the DVRs were coming along.

He said that they are currently in production.

I take that to mean that when they have enough for an initial release, we'll hear about it.

I hope so! I am using my computer with (at various times) windows xp media center, sagetv, and snapstream. Each have their pro's and con's however they all record in SD and frankly sateliite (sd) -> mpeg -> tv looks pretty lame, and my cat keeps knocking the little ir blaster off the voom box ;)

paddy

I need to delve into the next level of video recording, in all honesty I would just prefer a box that I can say "record" and it records shows in HD with just a firewire port or something to download the shows to PC would be fine. What someone said in this thread about TiVO boxes lasting like 18 months is pretty ridiculous if Voom has spent longer development time in making a more sturdy and reliable box then kudos to them!

I switched to D* and the Tivo HD DVR HR10-250. An amazing machine. Expensive, sure, but worth it to me. I'm recording all sorts of Olympic events in HD. I haven't regretted the switch for a second.

Robert Fritsky said:
We are also dying to have an HD DVR, but we have had two Tivo's (SD) and both failed after about 18 months, both times with tons of unwatched Soprano's (and this year Deadwood) episodes unwatched and lost forever (or at least until the DVD's come out).
That's why I bought a Panny E85H so I can record then burn to DVD. :D

The Voom DVR will presumably be the same model as the Starchoice (Canadian) HD-recording DVR due in the fall. (The Voom receiver is basically the same model as the Starchoice DSR-500). Here is a release dated 7/24/04 on the Starchoice website:

<< Star Choice’s much-anticipated digital video recorder (DVR) will also be launching this Fall. Combined with high-definition quality, this new receiver will be able to record, pause and rewind live TV. The dual turner receiver also enables customers to watch one channel while recording another. Star Choice will be leading the industry with this new technology -- it will revolutionize television viewing. >>

Starchoice needs to be able to put this item into production by November or so, which is when they get a whole new satellite, Anik F2, online. (Launched in July). Even allowing for all the things that can go wrong to go wrong, we ought to be getting some buggy something or other by the holidays, I'd guess!

Voom lucks out, so far

I just found out that Alias doesn't start until January. That's good news for Voom because I've been waiting for them to release their DVR and if it's not released by the time Alias start's it's new season, I'm switching. I also have a pc based solution (snapstreams beyond tv) and it doesn't work with Voom and even if it did, it wouldn't record hd. So I'm going to stick with Voom until atleast January. If they still don't release their dvr by then, I'll miss voom but will have to call it a day..

Here's hoping Voom releases their DVR SOON!!

kemguy said:
I also have a pc based solution (snapstreams beyond tv) and it doesn't work with Voom.
Just curious, why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)