I WANT MY HDTV (Dish 1000 signal...?)

vampirefish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Ok, I can't stand it any longer. I've had this beautiful 57" HDTV (ready) for almost 3 years now... I WANT MY HDTV! I currently have a Dish 500 and live outside of the Seattle area (zip 98366). When my Dish 500 was installed, the sat guys had a heck of a time getting a signal (my place is surrounding by huge trees). ...But they ended up making it work (after I had them come out a 2nd time) :) !

Prior to calling Dish and talking to a knowledgeable CSR :rolleyes: , I'd like to load my ammo clip!

1) I've read in this forum that I may just need to replace my Dish 500 with a Dish 1000, to receive all HD signals. I also understand that I'll need a new receiver (gonna go for the ViP622 - if I can pull it off). I wonder, since I'm not an existing "HD" (but SD) customer... will it still be $299 for me...?

Will the Dish 1000 be pointed in the same direction as the 500? I'm afraid that a second dish would not work (due to the trees), but if the 1000 points to the same area that the 500 does... I just may have a chance!

2) Speaking of HD programming...I've logged into my Dish account to see what offers they currently have. So if I'm reading this right, if I want let's say the DishHD w/Bronze (with locals), what HD channels are included....? The website states that 23 HD channels are included...but which ones? Maybe this is in front of my face (so I apologize if this seems to be a stupid question)...but I'm just not seeing it.

Any knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated on this!

Ok, in looking through this forum... I found the HD programming info (this is such a great site)!!!! So, just need some info on the dish pointing dealio (how's that for technical terms :D )!

Well you maybe in trouble.

The Dish1000 does point in a similar direction as the Dish500. The thing is that the 129 sat is lower in the sky than the 119. If you are just barley getting the 119 you may have trouble getting the 129.

Thanks, Dave... I guess there's only one way to find out... setup the install? Seems like a waste of time and money... maybe I can call the outfit and they can make a quick stop to see if they can even do it...?

Dave nye said:
Well you maybe in trouble.

The Dish1000 does point in a similar direction as the Dish500. The thing is that the 129 sat is lower in the sky than the 119. If you are just barley getting the 119 you may have trouble getting the 129.

I think where hes at it would be higher actually :) because he's more westernly... the view of the birds change where you live... on the east coast the view is around 8 degrees or so... where as on the west coast it could be at 35 degrees or so :)

"where as on the west coast it could be at 35 degrees or so"

Yes, it's actually 45.7 or 46 for us in the West Coast but like downriver said the signals on 129 are lower than anywhere else.

Ok, sorry for this tangential conversation . . . (hope the 1000 works for you and you can get HD programing!) Why would 129 be lower power in the PNW than anywhere else?

My common sense (although very faulty at times) indicates that since you have a closer proximity to 129 than say the midwest, you would have stronger signals. But hey, this is not my area at all ...

Thanks everyone... so have PNW peeps had problems with weak signals for HD? ...And how should I go about asking someone to just come out to see if they can get a signal (rather than buying the 622, etc, etc ahead of time)....

adawhi said:
Ok, sorry for this tangential conversation . . . (hope the 1000 works for you and you can get HD programing!) Why would 129 be lower power in the PNW than anywhere else?

My common sense (although very faulty at times) indicates that since you have a closer proximity to 129 than say the midwest, you would have stronger signals. But hey, this is not my area at all ...

I dunno. Good question. Maybe it's the thick layer of cosmic bulls**t that hangs over the west coast!! :p

129 Reception problems in Seattle area

vampirefish said:
Thanks everyone... so have PNW peeps had problems with weak signals for HD? ...And how should I go about asking someone to just come out to see if they can get a signal (rather than buying the 622, etc, etc ahead of time)....

I have just experienced in the last 3 months what you will probably see soon. In early November 2005 I purchased a Dish 942 and then paid Dish $99 to install a Dish 1000 instead of my existing Dish 500. I live in Lake Forest Park and even though it is in a city my surrounding area looks like a forest.

My Dish 500 was previously mounted at the south edge of my yard looking between two of my neighbor's tall trees and I got good reception on 110 & 119. After the Dish 1000 installation (and activation of the Voom channels) I was only getting signal strengths of 50-58 in good times (no rain, no wind) and I had frequent loss of picture for the Voom channels. The first weekend I had this setup I complained to Dish technical and they sent someone out in 3 days to "tweak" the system. When he left the signal strength for 129 had increased to maybe 55-63 in good times. I still encountered frequent loss of signal.

Nest, I gave up and paid someone to come here and install the Dish 500 antenna and used the LNBF from my Dish 1000 and aligned the 500 to 129. I already had a DPP44 switch installed the first time so this was possible. My 129 signal strengths increased to a low of 64 (Tp 13) up to a high of 83 (Tp 6, 9, 12). The transponder I was concerned with was Tp 30 (Rave) and it was 68-71 at best.

Unfortunately I see occasional picture loss at Rave with the signal being 42-47 or a loss of about 25. This can occur on a clear, no windy, non rainy day like today. At the very same time this is happening I can check Tp 6, 9 or 12 and they will only have dropped 5 points to high 70's.

I'm not sure what causes this; a satellite 129 anomoly, a LNBF that looses signal strength only some transponders or ???:cool:

Here in Texas, the 129 signal I have currently fluctuates between 75 and 78, the 110 signal is 84, and the 119 signal is 107.

I guess this would be pretty good?

Is 129 only for HD? I used to have 2 sat dishes (at my old place). 1 was my Dish 500 and the other pointed to the 61.5 (for more local channels...but not needed for the basic locals)... anyway, the reception was great for both! And I haven't had any issues at my new place with just the 500. I sure hope it will work for me.

To answer you previous question about what HD channels you will get, you will get ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, Universal HD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, and the 15-16 VOOM channels.

I live in Michigan & get excellent signal strength on both 119 & 110 but since I also live almost in the woods I'm real concerned that I'd have problems with 129. Seems like they'd put up another dish for 61.5 if that was the case???

LER said:
old corps: thats what I asked them to do for me, since I also wanted CBS-E HD.

CBS-E HD is only on 61.5.

LER
And they said they would do that, no problem?:confused: I don't mind at all if they'd just bring out a 300 & aim that sucker at 61.5. My other concern is that my 500 is mounted on a 6"x6" pole, don't know if they could mount a 300 to the side of it or not???:rolleyes: Can I ask what state you're in?? Thanks!
Ed

Tom Bombadil said:
I bet you'd get a stronger reading off of 61.5 than 129 in Michigan, probably a good 20 points or more stronger.
That's what I figure especially with the tall trees behind me (S.E.). Now IF they'll bring out a 300 & IF they can mount it on the same pole as my 500. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts