I want to make some modifications. Can someone help with some questions I have.

t-rey99

Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
I'm a newbie here with some questions I hope someone can help me with. I have a Dish Network system about a year and a half old. It is a dishpro 500 with quad LNBF. I have four receivers (301's) leased from Dish Network. What I need is the ability to expand beyond four receivers (long story why. I won't go into it). I've been doing my homework and I think I understand how the quad works (twins with built-in switches). I am in a newly built house with RG6 cable. It's pre-wired to 7 or 8 different loacations in the house. All are homerunned to one location (at the dish location). The longest run is probably no longer than 80'. According to a document I downloaded from Dish Network, I can add a dp34 to allow me to serve additional receivers/tuners. Now some questions.
1) Is my assumption about needing only a dp34 switch correct or will there be additional equipment needed?
2) My intention is to buy additional recievers (301's) from e-bay. What do I have to do with the receiver? Does it have to be activated somehow with Dish Network? I'm under the impression that the additional $5 each I pay for the three additional receivers is for the lease. If I buy my own reciever, will I not have to pay the additional $5?
3) What's the difference between the blue card and the yellow card? Is it anything I need to be concerned with? I do know I need to buy a system with clean card or I will be responsible for any debts on it.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

One of the problems is that Dish will only allow 6 recievers per account. Since you are leasing them you probably would be better off getting them to change out a couple of the 301s for 322s. Each 322 could drive a second TV, plus they only charge you the $5 fee for the box so you do not pay for the second TV. Might even want to trade for a 522 if you want a DVR, if you sub to the everything pack you will avoid the $5/month DVR fee.

You have to pay $5/box either way you go. If you lease you pay $5/reciever lease fee, if you own you pay $5/month "mirror" fee.

In theory with 322s you could have 12 tvs working.

As far as cards go there is no issue with either blue or yellow cards at this time, dish is still sending out yellow cards to replace blue cards.

mike123abc said:
One of the problems is that Dish will only allow 6 recievers per account. Since you are leasing them you probably would be better off getting them to change out a couple of the 301s for 322s. Each 322 could drive a second TV, plus they only charge you the $5 fee for the box so you do not pay for the second TV. Might even want to trade for a 522 if you want a DVR, if you sub to the everything pack you will avoid the $5/month DVR fee.

You have to pay $5/box either way you go. If you lease you pay $5/reciever lease fee, if you own you pay $5/month "mirror" fee.

In theory with 322s you could have 12 tvs working.

As far as cards go there is no issue with either blue or yellow cards at this time, dish is still sending out yellow cards to replace blue cards.

not 12 tvs... the sat boxes require 2 inputs from the switch/dish while it would be possible it would be a cabling mess... however.. the 322s or 522s can output on the cable system taht was probably wired originally in your house allowing you to carry a UHF remote around and watch on any tv... jsut a thought.

ShadowEKU said:
not 12 tvs... the sat boxes require 2 inputs from the switch/dish while it would be possible it would be a cabling mess... however.. the 322s or 522s can output on the cable system taht was probably wired originally in your house allowing you to carry a UHF remote around and watch on any tv... jsut a thought.

With the account limit of 6 recievers, each able to put out 2 independent programs you could have 12TVs running separate programs, 6 with the box there 6 with the RF modulated output feeding back into the cable system. Yes all the TVs could tune in any of the 6 RF modualated signals.

The DPP44 switch should allow a single cable run from the dish to a 322/522.

you are absolutely correct but the operative term of should was the problem.. i read on here sometime in the last couple of day that they have to make the hardware (or hopefully) or firmware compatible with taht piece of hardware... in the future this will be possible im sure... liek i said a major headache though. anyone know why dish only allows 6 recievers?

How do the 322/522 work with regard to wiring. All my wiring is home runned to one location and only one RG6 cable is run to each location. Do you have to daisy chain the RG6 to the second television from the first television where the receiver is located? Maybe I'm missing something here. I've only seen the picture of the receiver (front and back) on Dish Network's website. I can't get a good feel for the hook up based on just the pictures.
Also, I don't think I'll ever hook up more than 6 televisions. I should have included that info up front. I just wanted to let everyone know how the house was wired.

if youll never hook up more than 6 tv's and dont mind the $5 mirror fee you can jsut run the 6 wires, 1 to each and be set for life? However if you wanted to go with 3 dual tuner units there are many way to accomplish this... since your house just has 1 wire to each location. ( I will assume it has never been wired for cable and only sat) then it is a sort of daisy chain... 2 wires from the switch go to the 1 and 2 sat inputs on each reciever. in the future 2 runs wont be absolutely necacerry.. but.. 1 output from the reciever goes to the primary tv (tv1) the other output is then routed (there are many ways) to the secondary tv (tv2) the most common that i know of is there are 2 cables from the dish or switch to the reciever then one goes back into the wall or floor and is run to the second tv and voila 1 reciever 2 tvs. I hope this helps alot.

Forget the 322/522 DHA is new customers only, and has a limitation of 4 receivers or TUNERS per customer. A 322 has two tuners so only 2, 322s could be used under DHA. The original question about using a DP-34 with a quad is yes if you want 6 outputs if you need 7 or more you will need another DP-34. If you want more than 6 receivers on an account you will need a second account or setup a commercial account.

Thanks alot for all of the great help everyone. This certainly lets me know all of my options. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)