I want VOOM but I can't?

melloyello75

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Hey guys first of all I want to thank everyone for the great info I have learned on this site but I have a lil problem.

I am switching from cable to Sat but I called Voom and the csr told me that since I do not have a landline I cannot get their service. I have read on this forum that it is not necessary? Which is true? She said that I would need it to prove that the box is at the address where I subscribe, d/l updates, and for interactive features.

I could care less about the interactive part but the updates I understand.

Does all Sat providers require a landline for install?

Thanks

Hopeful Voomer

in some form or another, yes all sat providers have something where you need to have a phoneline.

Voom is policy, but they aren't enforcing it now, but they can act like they will any minute.

E* requires phone for 522 and 322 receivers or else additional fees, also for ppv ordering or a $1 to order from a person/online.

D* also requires the phone for ppv through receiver purchases and also for tivo users.

Ok so can I go ahead and order Voom and just them that I do have a phone line? I have not had a landline since '98 b/c I work in wireless and my service is free.

Which sat provider can I go through if I do not have a landline?

My receivers have never been hooked up to a phone. There is no outlet anywhere near my receivers.

If Voom starts enforcing this requirement, then I hope they will just let me hook up the receivers for a few minutes once a week or something. The only way for me to do it would be to run a very long line through hallways, up/down stairs, and into other rooms.

They really need another option, like plugging into an interner router or cordless phone or something. I know too many people who only have cordless phones and I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of mine if they don't offer DSL through the phone company soon.

I never had my E* receivers plugged in either.

My receiver has never beem hooked up to the phone line. My installer just left a cord and that was it.
I think the policy is , don't ask don't tell.

.O. said:
My receiver has never beem hooked up to the phone line. My installer just left a cord and that was it.
I think the policy is , don't ask don't tell.

Seems that way.

OK so I guess I will take a chance and try and set an install, hopefully all goes well...

Yep. Just give them you cell number and don't get into details:) I have VOIP over cable modem, so technically it is not a landline. And none of my receivers are hooked up to the VOIP anyway. Voom rocks!

The main reason a Sat company wants your STB to be hooked up to a Land Line phone is for Multiple STB signal theft pertection. You could order the Voom 3 for $1 deal. After the install you could give the other two STB's to two of your friends/relatives and the threee of you could split the monthly price. All that is needed would be a $50-100 dish and LNB for the other two people and someone that knows how to install the dish.

So even though VOOM does not actually hook up the landline today, they may make it a requirement in the future if they feel enough people are sharing/stealing their service. With the 3 STB's hooked up to the phone lines, when the STB calls the VOOM data center periodically, they will use caller ID to make sure all 3 boxes called in from the same number (home).

That would have backfired before I moved. I had 3 phone lines (home, work, fax) in the house and depending on where the receiver was located, it would have been connected to a different line since the *&%@! builders didn't run the whole multiline phone cable through the entire house.

After I moved, I only had a cell phone for several months, like many other people. I currently have a landline, but am seriously thinking about taking it out and going back to only a cell phone.

The landline requirement is going to limit potential customers in today's wireless world.

I had E* for 5 years and the installer never hooked up a phone line, neither did I. I never used the pay per view. I had D installed at my parents house 2 years ago and the installer never hooked up the phone lines ( 2 receivers ). The Voom installer didn't want to bother with hooking up the phone line even though I ran a line for it, so it still isn't hooked up. I guess it all depends Who you get for an installer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts