I was following a little lost puppy....

Khandurian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Cocoa Beach Baby!
led me into a warehouse full of cable spools, connectors, cable boxes, etc. etc.

While trying to get this puppy to calm down, I noticed he kept leading back to this one pallet of shrink wrapped boxes.

I decided that this little puppy wanted to show me something. So, I peel back the cellophane carefully as to not break or damage it.

I then examine this new HD Box very very closely! I happened to notice that this new box had a CARD! I also noticed that there was a connector for OFF AIR!

Well, the little puppy started pulling on my pant leg like something was wrong.

I quickly put the box back and followed the dog back into the parking lot when all of a sudden he barked really loud and then ran off.

I kept wondering, are these the new "customer owned" boxes being tested in our area with off air capabilities?!

A noodle scratcher!!

We were? Hmmm, didn't see one about customer owned hd boxes for cable system. Course, I have been known to have blinders on every now and then.

Nope, Steve's puppy is in a different area. He's Orlando! I'm Brevard County!

yea... i've heard about it haven't seen the new box yet and this is the first time i hear about air

khands, maybe i read it here.....maybe elsewhere. and sorry my brain has been farting all week.

ETA: the discussion is in the any new updates thread.

Well no biggie. I did get a closer look at the boxes again today. I was sad. Very very sad.

The boxes that I original saw were no longer there. A new box was in its place. This box did NOT have the off air! What a disappointment!

Oh well.

I heard the boxes have a card slot in the back and it will have a plastic cover with a Phillips screw.... also i heard that if the card comes out u will not be able to get your box working again even if you stick the card back in. The card will be mated with the box at the shop

I heard the boxes have a card slot in the back and it will have a plastic cover with a Phillips screw.... also i heard that if the card comes out u will not be able to get your box working again even if you stick the card back in. The card will be mated with the box at the shop
So, the government achieved what it wanted--enabling consumers to buy and use their own equipment? Or, will the companies find a loophole like making the card slot so that you can't really use it? "But we complied. The box works with a card."

I hope your puppy also told you this new box contains the brandnew Navigation software that BHN has been working on having developed with a software company, which will include a feature to allow users to see on their cable box "Caller ID" If they are a digtal phone subscriber. So you want even have to get up off the couch to see whos calling the TV will tell you...

But thats just that dam puppy running his mouth again :)

That would be an interesting feat to accomplish. Dick and Dave never got that to work.

A card being married to a box does not mean that it cannot be removed. It just means that it will only work with that box until it has been reset at the "headend" and sent back out to another customer.

Stevenl I'm assuming your talking about a BHN system beyond the Tampa Bay system as the Tampa Bay system has caller ID on TV today and has for quite a while. So I'm assuming that your talking about all BHN systems that are running on Passport or another system beyond the SARA system correct.

Yes im speaking about Orlando which is going to be testing a New operating system which was built specificly for BHN systems, A Modular system, other then sara and passport.

yea i heard about that, there was a name i can't remember what it was called. I was beginning to wonder why Tampa has had the caller ID feature for over a year and we dont. I just found out Tampa has used SARA all along. So now there rest of us are going to have to wait till something happens with the new OS. I think i was told it won't be out till... umm fall? maybe

Yes becasue tampa use's SARA and we use passport, Sara is a bit more modular then passport, for us to add anything to passport would be very pricey :)0

ahh alright... i think i figured most of it out. i guess i only know basics when it comes to digital tv.... still learning

m_stm_h3050.jpg

A sneak peak of the box :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts