I was following a little lost puppy....

If I buy the card as part of some STB, then a "card fee" is nothing more than disingenuous profit-taking. Just raise the cost of the digital tier and eliminate the fees... It's not like you can access the tier without the equipment. It reminds me of Ma Bell charging us to rent telephones.

It's easy to point out their hypocrisy when you consider that they don't charge for a cable modem, or for the digital phone modem. It's included in the service.

Huh? Your fee for the card is for the Extra 50 channels or more you get as part of the digital service, not to mention all the on-demand content you now get included as well (what 30channels or so or more) So no sorry its not an evil company getting profits. if you consider they are going from near 7$ a month for the same service to now 3.99 for the same service they are in a sense LOSEING money they were getting before. They include the price of the modem/mta into the price of service correct, Would you prefer they break it up like some companies do and charge you not only 44.95 for internet but an extra 5-10 for the modem? Or how about they charge 34$ for the internet and 10$ for the modem? Either way its the same price. The cost of the renting the digital box wasnt just for the hardware it included the channels. They just added them together. Same with the cable card, you are not being charged 3.99 for the little hardware, but for the services that come with that hardware.

Seriously, I don't understand what you're talking about.

Yes, BHN includes the cost of the first box in with the fee that they charge for the digital cable tier... however, the digital cable tier costs more than the standard tier, so I don't see how you think I'm getting that for "free."

Furthermore, each subsequent box or card carries a charge. This is what I take issue with--if I'm not using VOD services (which I find worthless, but I digress), then the card is essentially a passive decryption device which costs them nothing incrementally other than the cost of the card. It's almost all profit for them.

The core question is: Why can't I buy a device and receive TV without further monthly charges, like in the olden days? I'm paying for the service.

You dont pay a seperate "fee" for the digital tier, The digital tier is included n the cost of renting the box or the card. So you get those services included with the cost of the rental fee. If you dont want the digital tier or on-demand their really is no reason to have a box its kinda pointless. cept for the fact you see the analog channels in digital simulcast, but the quality isnt that much better as your still seeing the same video.

Maybe I'm confused, but standard cable is $35.95/month and digital cable is $50.85/month here. So, subtract out the first box at $6.95/month, and you still have a $7.95/month "fee" for digital cable.

I think I am confused, because BHN's pricing has never made much sense to me. E.g., the notion of having to pay $9.95/month for HD DVR "service" and yet also pay $6.95/month (or have it absorbed as the first-box in the digital tier) for the HD DVR "box."

That extra fee is only for addtional dvrs, not the first.

But here is the orlando priceing perhaps they are giving you a discount on basic?

Standard cable: 50.89

Digital: 58.49 (with HD same price)

So theirs an 8$ differnce.

an extra box is 6.95 (regular or dvr)

9.95 HD DVR

(this is orlando area priceing yours may vary)

http://cfl.mybrighthouse.com/products_and_pricing/prices/default.aspx

Now each "extra" box other then the orignial is at a discount. compared to the first box, Most companies do that whenever you buy from them the more you buy the bigger discount.

That extra fee is only for addtional dvrs, not the first.
But here is the orlando priceing perhaps they are giving you a discount on basic?

Maybe...

Now each "extra" box other then the orignial is at a discount. compared to the first box, Most companies do that whenever you buy from them the more you buy the bigger discount.

Really? I'll have to ask them about that. I need another box, but I'm on the fence--if I can "buy" one, I will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts