I was jw about where do we get our digital phone service from...

razorphreak900

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
tampa bay area
so yea thats the main question, does bhn actually have their own phone service? or does bhn pays a company to get the phone service thru bhn? i was jw about it...if bhn ain't the actual phone company where is our actual phone service coming from? is it all digital like they say, or is like the company regular landline going thru "digital" wires thru bhn? well i hope u guys get what im saying,cause i also always wondered why is bhn not as cheap as like vonage, or even earthlink "truevoice" and why doesn't offer similar features like the other guys?, i wish bhn gave an option where u can set the quality,features,etc,etc thru the internet like u do with vonage...well jw thanks again guys (im in saint pete,tampa bay area)

so yea thats the main question, does bhn actually have their own phone service? or does bhn pays a company to get the phone service thru bhn? i was jw about it...if bhn ain't the actual phone company where is our actual phone service coming from? is it all digital like they say, or is like the company regular landline going thru "digital" wires thru bhn? well i hope u guys get what im saying,cause i also always wondered why is bhn not as cheap as like vonage, or even earthlink "truevoice" and why doesn't offer similar features like the other guys?, i wish bhn gave an option where u can set the quality,features,etc,etc thru the internet like u do with vonage...well jw thanks again guys (im in saint pete,tampa bay area)

BHN Digital phone isnt like vonage in a sense and it sint like standard phone in a sense.. The only time it is VOiP Is on our network, it travels through the cable system in a voip type transmission but then we connect you at our "rate centers" to the local telco pops. In orlando we use MCI as our Transit provider to link you to the tradtional telephone networks. With Vonage your traffic travels over the internet, with BHN it stays on our private network till its distrubuted to the telephone systems.. And BHN hasnt setup all its voice features because its still a new service. Only what 1-2 years old? We just recently added 3-way calling. They are working on more intergration of all the services but is isnt cheap and its time consuming. But look forward to it becoming much more feature oriented.. The biggest push isnt the Features but the free long distance. So BHN is far closer to your traditional phone service then Vonage and not even in the same classs.. The only MAJOR differnce between BHN and say sprint/bellsouth is BHN isnt a powerd system. Meaning you dont get the power for your phone from our lines, you get it from your own power. Most phone companies are changing to the "digital system" as well..

BHN Digital phone isnt like vonage in a sense and it sint like standard phone in a sense.. The only time it is VOiP Is on our network, it travels through the cable system in a voip type transmission but then we connect you at our "rate centers" to the local telco pops. In orlando we use MCI as our Transit provider to link you to the tradtional telephone networks. With Vonage your traffic travels over the internet, with BHN it stays on our private network till its distrubuted to the telephone systems.. And BHN hasnt setup all its voice features because its still a new service. Only what 1-2 years old? We just recently added 3-way calling. They are working on more intergration of all the services but is isnt cheap and its time consuming. But look forward to it becoming much more feature oriented.. The biggest push isnt the Features but the free long distance. So BHN is far closer to your traditional phone service then Vonage and not even in the same classs.. The only MAJOR differnce between BHN and say sprint/bellsouth is BHN isnt a powerd system. Meaning you dont get the power for your phone from our lines, you get it from your own power. Most phone companies are changing to the "digital system" as well..

Thanks alot for your input..i pretty much understand what u wrote..so which has better quality/performance? the way bhn does it, or landline? (thought i will never go to landline regardless lol),or u think having an actual voip (like vonage) going thru the internet like u said u think it would be a better quality line? or the same... I do understand "digital phone" on bhn is new..and they are still figuring things out...and i have never had any issues so i am very happy with the service..and bhn has done alot of great features since i moved to fl 2 years ago...well ill b around , thanks alot dude..peace

Thanks alot for your input..i pretty much understand what u wrote..so which has better quality/performance? the way bhn does it, or landline? (thought i will never go to landline regardless lol),or u think having an actual voip (like vonage) going thru the internet like u said u think it would be a better quality line? or the same... I do understand "digital phone" on bhn is new..and they are still figuring things out...and i have never had any issues so i am very happy with the service..and bhn has done alot of great features since i moved to fl 2 years ago...well ill b around , thanks alot dude..peace

Well BHN is a landline. Its the same as say sprint/bellsouth other then the reasons I said. So in escense its the same quality as sprint/bellsouth. Unless of course you are talking to another BHN digital phone customer, then it stays on our network and is all digital. Otherwise bounceing onto the regular phone lines the signal turns analog. And when it leaves the MTA (your modem thingie) it turns analog, so your phone can work. Between spring/bellsouth and BHN Their isnt alot of differnce cept pricing. Usally BHN will be cheaper specially when packaged with cable. But you cannot even compare vonage in the same category. They are an INTERNET phone company. You need BHN HighSPEED to work vonage, with BHN you dont need HSD service. Plus with BHN your 911 service works just like your regular phone BHN offers E911 service. whereas vonage doesnt. and BHN offers battery backup (with the Arrias mta is about 4 hours or so) with vonage if you lose power you lose phone, with BHN that isnt always the case.

Well BHN is a landline. Its the same as say sprint/bellsouth other then the reasons I said. So in escense its the same quality as sprint/bellsouth. Unless of course you are talking to another BHN digital phone customer, then it stays on our network and is all digital. Otherwise bounceing onto the regular phone lines the signal turns analog. And when it leaves the MTA (your modem thingie) it turns analog, so your phone can work. Between spring/bellsouth and BHN Their isnt alot of differnce cept pricing. Usally BHN will be cheaper specially when packaged with cable. But you cannot even compare vonage in the same category. They are an INTERNET phone company. You need BHN HighSPEED to work vonage, with BHN you dont need HSD service. Plus with BHN your 911 service works just like your regular phone BHN offers E911 service. whereas vonage doesnt. and BHN offers battery backup (with the Arrias mta is about 4 hours or so) with vonage if you lose power you lose phone, with BHN that isnt always the case.

got ya...thats actually pretty good, i still rather have *landine bhn* than the traditional landine from the phone company like veri... and bell, etc...cause i know thru cable is a cleaner signal..and i like the idea that if u call another bhn customer or in the same network it stays digital, so thats pretty cool and helps out alot in the quality sense, i do to agree with the e911, its more well *original* than thru that in vonage...and i like the idea also that like u said it doesn't eat up my bandwidth when using the phone like vonage would do..so thats a plus right there,...usually a modem (i believe i have the newest one) u connect it to a battery backup that u would use for a computer, i would use it on the modem,(with nothing else connected to it)because the modem only takes 12 volts i believe, and connecting it to a battery back up would prob last a long time..especially with the modem having its own battery back up lol...i have to try that...

got ya...thats actually pretty good, i still rather have *landine bhn* than the traditional landine from the phone company like veri... and bell, etc...cause i know thru cable is a cleaner signal..and i like the idea that if u call another bhn customer or in the same network it stays digital, so thats pretty cool and helps out alot in the quality sense, i do to agree with the e911, its more well *original* than thru that in vonage...and i like the idea also that like u said it doesn't eat up my bandwidth when using the phone like vonage would do..so thats a plus right there,...usually a modem (i believe i have the newest one) u connect it to a battery backup that u would use for a computer, i would use it on the modem,(with nothing else connected to it)because the modem only takes 12 volts i believe, and connecting it to a battery back up would prob last a long time..especially with the modem having its own battery back up lol...i have to try that...

Another thing that is good vs vonage is with BHN digital phone the MTA(modem thingie) has priority switching inside it for voice. So you always have the proper amount of BW to transmit/receive your voice services.. With vonage, the modem doesnt know the differnce between voice and data, and if your downloading huge files and using alot of BW it could interfere with your phone call..

Another thing that is good vs vonage is with BHN digital phone the MTA(modem thingie) has priority switching inside it for voice. So you always have the proper amount of BW to transmit/receive your voice services.. With vonage, the modem doesnt know the differnce between voice and data, and if your downloading huge files and using alot of BW it could interfere with your phone call..

interesting...good to kno :), hey i was jw,(off topic lol) if i may cause u seem to know alot which i am greatfull for you helping me understand how some things work/or its done...u think they will make our internet faster again?..like higher than 15 mbps?...i have a few friends in nj that has optimum online and for 10 bucks more (yes 10 bucks more) lol he gets 30 mbps down 5 up,he pays about the same price as i do paying for 15.0, few dollars more or so, and i was like DARN lol..and i kno for sure bhn would be able to handle those speeds. any input on this?, 15 is a great speed, but is slow when u really think of it, nowadays were suppose to be double the speeds we have now..but its "getting" there.. i kno it has to do with 'big" companies fighting against "net neutrality" or something like that that years ago they was suppost to make our internet by now a lot better...eh u prob kno lol...

oh here is a link to it

http://www.optimum.com/order/boost/

interesting...good to kno :), hey i was jw,(off topic lol) if i may cause u seem to know alot which i am greatfull for you helping me understand how some things work/or its done...u think they will make our internet faster again?..like higher than 15 mbps?...i have a few friends in nj that has optimum online and for 10 bucks more (yes 10 bucks more) lol he gets 30 mbps down 5 up,he pays about the same price as i do paying for 15.0, few dollars more or so, and i was like DARN lol..and i kno for sure bhn would be able to handle those speeds. any input on this?, 15 is a great speed, but is slow when u really think of it, nowadays were suppose to be double the speeds we have now..but its "getting" there.. i kno it has to do with 'big" companies fighting against "net neutrality" or something like that that years ago they was suppost to make our internet by now a lot better...eh u prob kno lol...

oh here is a link to it

http://www.optimum.com/order/boost/

Well, itd really depend on the market you are in, as to how fast that happens.. The quicker someone else or someone with the ability to offer speeds like that starts moving into your neck of the woods the quicker youll see a huge jump like that. BHN Strives to stay the best in their market, so if they already maintain that title in your market, they put their focus elsewere, on improving reliability, preventitive maintance, Prepareing upgrades for furture deployment... Id expect to see some speed changes this year, AS they seem to do everyyear, I just wouldnt bet money on them being a double increase... LAst year they did that twice i think,

i switched to vonage 3 months ago from BHN. while there are things that don't make me happy, i can honestly say the clarity and quality is superior to BHN. i noticed that out of the box!!

Well, itd really depend on the market you are in, as to how fast that happens.. The quicker someone else or someone with the ability to offer speeds like that starts moving into your neck of the woods the quicker youll see a huge jump like that. BHN Strives to stay the best in their market, so if they already maintain that title in your market, they put their focus elsewere, on improving reliability, preventitive maintance, Prepareing upgrades for furture deployment... Id expect to see some speed changes this year, AS they seem to do everyyear, I just wouldnt bet money on them being a double increase... LAst year they did that twice i think,

yea i agree...

i switched to vonage 3 months ago from BHN. while there are things that don't make me happy, i can honestly say the clarity and quality is superior to BHN. i noticed that out of the box!!

by clarity what do you mean? I mean its a digital signal BHN sends to the MTA, so when its interpeted by the MTA it should be digital qualtiy. Crystal clear..

can't explain it steve but it definitely is louder (as i have even turned the volumed down on my special needs phone). and it doesn't sound like there is a much noise on the line. maybe, its just me but i have noticed a difference!!

can't explain it steve but it definitely is louder (as i have even turned the volumed down on my special needs phone). and it doesn't sound like there is a much noise on the line. maybe, its just me but i have noticed a difference!!

Well its good you found somthing that works well for you :)

One qeustion though.. With vonage you have it hooked up to only 1 phone right? with BHN was it hooked to the whole house?

no, i have it hooked to 2 phones like i did with bright house. in fact, it's the wiring a bhn tech did into the bedroom that also works with vonage. it's nice because they didn't charge anything to extend the phone line.......even after i cancelled the digital phone service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)