I was lied to by Directv!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

curtishd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Basically I was told at the time of singing up that I could get both the AAA and refer a friend discount only to see that I am only getting a AAA discount. I was also charged $130 for the install. I purchased 2 hd dvrs at Best buy prior to my install and got the free HD DVR from Directv but when the tech showed up he was unaware of the other 2 hd dvrs so I had to pay $130 for running wires and a switch. I called directv and after 1.5 hours I was told I could get $10 credit X 6 months for the HD package.
My question is has anyone ever complainted via the DIRECTV - Office of the President Contact Form on the directv website and heard back? Also, directv states it records all calls, what do they do with these recordings, can't they just listen to what I was promised and honor it?!

Basically I was told at the time of singing up that I could get both the AAA and refer a friend discount only to see that I am only getting a AAA discount. I was also charged $130 for the install. I purchased 2 hd dvrs at Best buy prior to my install and got the free HD DVR from Directv but when the tech showed up he was unaware of the other 2 hd dvrs so I had to pay $130 for running wires and a switch. I called directv and after 1.5 hours I was told I could get $10 credit X 6 months for the HD package.
My question is has anyone ever complainted via the DIRECTV - Office of the President Contact Form on the directv website and heard back? Also, directv states it records all calls, what do they do with these recordings, can't they just listen to what I was promised and honor it?!

If I was told I had one DVR to hook up and you said I had 3 and you wanted it all done for free, I'd be pissed too and expect you to pay as well, if you wanted the FREE install, why did you not order the other rec'rs from D* this way they would account for the whole order and know whats going on.

If I was told I had one DVR to hook up and you said I had 3 and you wanted it all done for free, I'd be pissed too and expect you to pay as well, if you wanted the FREE install, why did you not order the other rec'rs from D* this way they would account for the whole order and know whats going on.

Directv asked the samething, I bought at best buy because I used a coupon and I knew what model receiver I would be getting where if I bought from directv they said it could be any hr model.

Directv asked the samething, I bought at best buy because I used a coupon and I knew what model receiver I would be getting where if I bought from directv they said it could be any hr model.

The question remains, however, why would you expect to get three dvrs installed for free when the order was for one? Does that seem fair to you? Does it seem fair to the tech? It doesn't to me.

The question remains, however, why would you expect to get three dvrs installed for free when the order was for one? Does that seem fair to you? Does it seem fair to the tech? It doesn't to me.
Because 3 room installs are very common and D* advertises free 4 room installs? http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=2700001&CMP=KNC-PG-Google&HBX_PK=SEA_B_direct%20tv_2368735719&HBX_OU=50&aid=2368735719
Does that seem fair to you?
yes.
Does it seem fair to the tech?

yes. If he has a problem with it he shouldnt work for D*
It doesn't to me.

oh well

It really shouldnt matter. D* makes just as much if you order from them or best buy. They should try practicing some better business practices.

I am getting the AAA discount and the refer a friend discount. The refer a friend discount takes a few weeks to show up...

Jimbo, Please don't get pissed by this question, but what is your connection with D*.It certainly seems that you side with them on all situations.

Because 3 room installs are very common and D* advertises free 4 room installs? DIRECTV: DIRECTV - Best Offer

yes.

oh well

Off your meds again Vurbie? ;) Why should a tech be expected to do more than what is scheduled? It's difficult enough for them to keep up without someone assuming they will do something not on the work order. Sorry, but you are 100% wrong here.

Because 3 room installs are very common and D* advertises free 4 room installs? DIRECTV: DIRECTV - Best Offer

yes.

oh well

So the tech shows up expecting to install one DVR, and is supposed to install three without any notice and it's not fair that he didn't do it for free?

1) This throws off his schedule for the rest of the day, so his later customers get their appointments moved back because he is now spending more time then allocated for this customer
2) The tech may or may not have had the necessary equipment to install 3 DVR's, since this would require a SWM install or a multiswitch that was not on the original workorder
3) The tech now has to spend time on the phone getting the work order changed, which is where the $130 charge comes from (this is D*'s policy, not the tech's), so that he gets paid correctly and can actually activate all three of the customer's receivers.

This entire situation could have been avoided by the OP telling DirecTV that he had obtained two additional DVR's from Best Buy when he made his appointment. But since he apparantely failed to do so, let's all blame the tech and DirecTV. :rolleyes:

So the tech shows up expecting to install one DVR, and is supposed to install three without any notice and it's not fair that he didn't do it for free?

1) This throws off his schedule for the rest of the day, so his later customers get their appointments moved back because he is now spending more time then allocated for this customer
2) The tech may or may not have had the necessary equipment to install 3 DVR's, since this would require a SWM install or a multiswitch that was not on the original workorder
3) The tech now has to spend time on the phone getting the work order changed, which is where the $130 charge comes from (this is D*'s policy, not the tech's), so that he gets paid correctly and can actually activate all three of the customer's receivers.

This entire situation could have been avoided by the OP telling DirecTV that he had obtained two additional DVR's from Best Buy when he made his appointment. But since he apparantely failed to do so, let's all blame the tech and DirecTV. :rolleyes:

Clearly neither the op nor Vurbano care about the tech.

yes.

oh well

D* advertises for 4 rooms free, and if you read it states something about thats for standard receivers (FREE standard professional installation). Chances are, you are signing up for the "FREE" hd or dvr or hddvr combo and they throw that in for 1 room.

But yes, 3 box installs are very common through D* and no i don't think he should have to do that install.

IMHO, i would kick that install back to D* and get it resolved before getting started.

What do you think this guy's supervisor is going to say when he see's him on site for a job well after the time needed to do a 1 dvr install? and to find out he's running more lines, doing more then the w/o says and possible sidework on a D* install? there are so many variables here that could just be bad for the installer and customer.

It would have just been better to have the installer come and do all 3 boxes and not have a surprise for him at the door.

The tech actually had no problem doing it as long as I paid $130. My complaint is not with the tech but with directv. I told them I had 2 additional HD dvrs to be installed and they said it would be for free. The tech said if it is not on the work order he can't do it and I understand but I called directv at that time and they would not put the two HD dvrs on the work order or even reschedule a new day and time with a new work order. Again it is NOT the tech that I have a complaint with, it is a directv issue. Simply put a directv rep lied to me about the free install and the friend referral.

yes.

oh well

Keep in mind they are set up to install X number of systems per day and paid for each install. When you added to the work order his day got screwed up. The Install Tech now had more hours to install than what he started with. So he probably had to move one or two installs to cover yours which means he would have lost pay. Feel lucky he just didn't install the one only and then walk.

I am so glad I live in an area that I have never run into whiny assed installers that cry about every single little thing, so what if he has to run a few extra lines then he expected..

Man I just don't get some of these guys..Get a different job if making people happy is not your thing..

Keep in mind they are set up to install X number of systems per day and paid for each install. When you added to the work order his day got screwed up. The Install Tech now had more hours to install than what he started with. So he probably had to move one or two installs to cover yours which means he would have lost pay. Feel lucky he just didn't install the one only and then walk.

This is crap... Just about every new house built around here has a communication center installed, so the installer has to only mount a dish, PERIOD. This has happened to my installer at both houses I have had, so these installers have plenty of time to sit on their ass, or have a beer or two before their day is done a lot more often than days they run over...
The bottom line is, do they want the customers or not????

Off your meds again Vurbie? ;) Why should a tech be expected to do more than what is scheduled? It's difficult enough for them to keep up without someone assuming they will do something not on the work order. Sorry, but you are 100% wrong here.
That is the problem. They are scheduled to do a certain install, then another one scheduled after, then another, ect.

I am sorry to the OP, but if you had it scheduled for only one box to be installed, then I do not see what your complaint is.
I have had extra hooked up when having an install done, but I paid for it and expected to.

I guess your best bet would be to call back and explain your side of the story. I doubt you will get any credits, but you never know.
I hope your experience from here on out is a pleasant one

This is crap... Just about every new house built around here has a communication center installed, so the installer has to only mount a dish, PERIOD. This has happened to my installer at both houses I have had, so these installers have plenty of time to sit on their ass, or have a beer or two before their day is done a lot more often than days they run over...
The bottom line is, do they want the customers or not????
Do you think this is common everywhere? What about existing houses? Not every one is wired for this upfront, and I would guess more are not than are

I am so glad I live in an area that I have never run into whiny assed installers that cry about every single little thing, so what if he has to run a few extra lines then he expected..

Man I just don't get some of these guys..Get a different job if making people happy is not your thing..

For many of them, getting paid is their "thing"! If they do work that is not on the work order, they don't get paid for it if the customer doesn't pay them for it. Do you think that's fair? What about the other customers that have their installs moved back in the day or canceled because the installer had to run extra lines which caused him to be late? Do they matter to you?

Status
Please reply by conversation.