I was wondering.

Patchen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
When I originally ordered my Dish back in March, I only ordered the two-room setup (dual DVR). When I called I was told that there were no plans of picking up my locals by Dish. If I had known then that they were going to offer the locals in such a short time, I would have just done a three-room install. So I decided to keep our basic cable in my bedroom. Well, two months later they unveiled our locals, and I really want to add dish into my bedroom and cancel our local cable all together, they really stink. The reason I went to dish is they upped my cable prices from 64 bucks to 118.00 in one month. I love dish, but I was wondering if there’s an inexpensive way to add a third room three months after my original install, or if I’m going to have to pay out a couple hundred bucks to add the third room?

DishPro quad LNB: $60.00
Dish 311 receiver: $99.00
RG-6 cable from the dish to the room: ?

You might get a DP34 switch ($70.00) instead of the quad LNB. If you already have a quad LNB, then that's good. You won't need a switch or another LNB.

I ran a new line from my quad LNB to another bedroom yesterday. It wasn't that hard.

mdonnelly said:
DishPro quad LNB: $60.00
Dish 311 receiver: $99.00
RG-6 cable from the dish to the room: ?

You might get a DP34 switch ($70.00) instead of the quad LNB. If you already have a quad LNB, then that's good. You won't need a switch or another LNB.

I ran a new line from my quad LNB to another bedroom yesterday. It wasn't that hard.

As an alternative to the already stated items, here's how I would probably do this:

301/311 remanufactured receiver: $79.00
DP+ Twin: $35.00
DP+ Separator: $5.00
50' RG-6 coax: $20 (approx)

Replace your DP Twin with a DPP Twin. You will only need one line ran to each receiver. At the dual-tuner DVR, just split the line using the DP+ Separator. Depending on how far your 3rd room is from the dish, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to run the line :)

I have the cable split at the back of my Dual DVR, so whatever I watch in the living room is on the tv in the bedroom. So if I continue this setup, what else do I need to do?

Depending upon the grade of cable you have running from the splitter to the TV in the bedroom you might be able to get away with running no new cable at all. The first thing I would do is check and see what LNB you currently have installed. This can be done visually or via the menu system. To find out through the menu go to System Setup -> Installation -> Point Dish/Signal -> Check switch. The reason I'm having you do this is because a fair number of techs are installing DPP Twins by default on a lot of installs. If you happen to have a DPP Twin you could simply use the existing runs as long as the run from the splitter is RG-6 grade cable (preferrably swept to 2GHz) . Simply add a DPP separator to the mix and use a good quality barrel connector to connect one of the lines coming from the outside dish that is no longer being used to the existing line running to the bedroom. If you don't have a DPP Twin you can simply add it to the mix and do as described above. The other possibility is you do have a DPP Twin with a DPP separator installed. In that case you will have to run a line from the dish to where the wiring is already at, again provided it is RG-6 grade cable.