I went with XM, big mistake?

Decker87

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
I finally got the vehicle kit for my Skyfi2 XM receiver for $50 off ebay. The skyfi2 itself was free (which is why I went with xm).

Did I make a big mistake? I'm having trouble mounting my XM, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should sell my XM stuff and go with sirius. What do you think?

Not all Sirius units are bigger, it depends on what research you do and what you buy. I have also had both and prefer Sirius. Both have about the same talk, I enjoy the DJ interaction, it is minimal.

The Tate said:
The Sirius units are bigger than the XM units.

Actually the latest Sirius radios are equal too or even a little smaller than the current XM radios. The Roady XT is the smallest XM unit but has to have a small dock. The Sirius Starmate Replay requires no dock. The Sirius Sportster IR is almost exactly the same size, but a little smaller than the XM Sky-Fi.

I suggest going to the respective websites and looking at the hardware or go to Crutchfield.com and search there. Both services are far superior to terrestrial radio.

Well I do stand corrected. I took a look at sirius online and looked over a couple of there equipment and most of them look about the size of my Roady 2. I learn something new everyday. :D

I have been picking on XM's programming a lot lately but that because I am a long time subscriber (I was online with them from the month after they started) and I Have seen their programming go from outstanding to just good. A few of my favorite channels have gone away and a few stations I loved (ie the 70's and 80's channnel tuned onto MP3 Jukeboxes)

With that said the prgramming found on XM is MUCH BETTER then anything found on FM.

At work I was the only one with sirius for some time. Come football season the guys working Sunday night alway begged me to work during games....I work Days Mon-Fri. Eventually after they listened to my system for a while a few of them have switched over. I have listened to both and I am sticking with Sirius. Its all in what you personally want. My own findings is that Sirius tends to stay more with the mainstream music and XM tends to go with more of the less known music.

Looking at the stock price only XM is the way to go. Also the fact that XM is built into a ton of General Motors cars helps.

It is also a VERY BAD image that Howard Stern dumped all his stock within what, one week!

Hell I wouldn't listen to the XM even if someone installed it in my car and paid for it. The Sirius would steadily be displaying Channel 108 - Maxim with Covino and Rich scrolling the screen. ;)

Eric Goempel said:
Looking at the stock price only XM is the way to go. Also the fact that XM is built into a ton of General Motors cars helps.

It is also a VERY BAD image that Howard Stern dumped all his stock within what, one week!

This is too funny.

Btw i read on XMFAN.com that someone got an email[from the 70's sr pd] saying that the 70's channel will be improving programming wise very soon.

I wish they would drop all of those XM exclusives. If I want to hear a one hour interview with Cyndi Lauper, I'd watch VH1 (and see a phsychiatrist the next morning). Have an "exclusives" channel and promote the hell out of it while the special is running, but play music on the "music" channels.

mikew said:
I wish they would drop all of those XM exclusives. If I want to hear a one hour interview with Cyndi Lauper, I'd watch VH1 (and see a phsychiatrist the next morning). Have an "exclusives" channel and promote the hell out of it while the special is running, but play music on the "music" channels.
Yes this is one of the things that aggrivates me, not only do they air these specials (and I actually dont mind the specials) but when they air the special and it airs on 3 channels at the same time (and usually the special is on the same Genre of channels, like The 70's on 7, Deep Tracks and Top Tracks)

It would be better if it only aired on one channel at a time.

i have also listened to both sirius and xm and i have to say that i prefer SIRIUS,mainly because i like their talk shows better,and i do like their music line up also.sirius is the only one that offers bubba the love sponge at 4pm every day.if you are a big baseball fan i guess you would have to go with xm.also it seems that sirius is a better run company than XM, XM is having some major internal problems at the present time.
i do believe if you switched to sirius you would like it better.

Decker87 said:
I finally got the vehicle kit for my Skyfi2 XM receiver for $50 off ebay. The skyfi2 itself was free (which is why I went with xm).

Did I make a big mistake? I'm having trouble mounting my XM, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should sell my XM stuff and go with sirius. What do you think?

Have had XM for two years and still as happy as day one. Tried Sirius, but prefered the channels that I listen to on XM.

Mounting is always an issue regardless of whether it is XM or Sirius...you need a lot of patience. Almost like the good old days of installing that 8 Track player in the car...LOL

Beagle said:
.also it seems that sirius is a better run company than XM, XM is having some major internal problems at the present time.
i do believe if you switched to sirius you would like it better.

Proof?

Thats right there is none, other than one board member quitting and Howard's BS he has been spouting. Last I checked, XM's stock is still in the 20 range, while Sirius is still in the $5 range. Sirius had a LARGER loss Q4 than XM, and even after the subscriber bump and buzz from Howard.

XM also pays less per new customer than Sirius, and is on track to be profitable well before Sirius.

These are FACTS which can be find is simple Google searches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)