ice storm took out dish e* says home protection plan won't cover it.

jeffdan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
well afteralmost ten years of being aggrevated with e*, i've decided to give direct a try. the dish installer came out three months ago and upgraded my dish and moved it under a tree. it's worked fine but i knew what would eventually happen. our ice storm this week took out the trre over the dish and then took aout the dish. i called dish as i had already requested that the dish be moved as finding signal wasn't a problem. so when this happened i called and eplained the storm and downed tree. i also explained that i did have the home protection plan. the customer rep told be i was out of luck and i would have to go to a local retailer and pay them for a new dish. after argueing with them for a few minutes i told them just to cancel my service. they sent me to the canellation department. they told my that that wasn't right, that i should be able to turn in my damage under the protection plan. she put me on hold and then told me they don't have anything in the computer that would allow them to fix the dish for free. she told me if i signed up for 18 months they would do it. i simply cancelled. she then replied that they would install without a commitment and i still refused. she then offered me two free months of programming. i still refused as i explained to her, a customer shouldn't have to threaten to cancel before dish"s operators try to work with them. after spending a fortune for the last two years on hd bullsh*t. iv'e had enogh. i singed up with direct and hopelfully i'll be happly. at least right now with direct's price lock, (if you sign up online, with 20$ off a month discount.) i'll spend less money and have a lot mor channels to show for it. sorry to complain, just thought some of you peple might want to know, or might understand. thanks jeffdan

Probably wouldn't want to do a homeowner's claim on a Dish. In insurance terms it's not expensive enough to warrant having a claim on your insurance. They're always looking for a reason to jack up the rates.

Warranties whether it is dish or whomever do not cover acts of God ie weather natural disasters etc. I understand you were not happy with where the installer put the dish but that is partially your fault for allowing him to put it there so you can put part of the fault on yourself. If you refused to allow him to place the dish under the tree he would have had to install it somewhere that the tree and ice were not an issue. The customer has the upper hand but some allow installers to bully them into doing something they know is not correct and in the end they usually pay for it so never allow that to happen.:eek:

Warranties whether it is dish or whomever do not cover acts of God ie weather natural disasters etc. I understand you were not happy with where the installer put the dish but that is partially your fault for allowing him to put it there so you can put part of the fault on yourself. If you refused to allow him to place the dish under the tree he would have had to install it somewhere that the tree and ice were not an issue. The customer has the upper hand but some allow installers to bully them into doing something they know is not correct and in the end they usually pay for it so never allow that to happen.:eek:

dish home protection plan covers all and any problems with any and all dish products. do you really know what your talking about? tha't why having the home protection plan is suppose to be so nice. that's exactly why dish and direct push it on the customer. i wasn't there for the intsall but i did leave the intaller instructions on where the old dish was installed . he even called my cell phone before i got home and told me he installed it exactly on the same pole the prior dish was on. but when i got home that wasn't the case at all. i was an installer for dish for a cople of years while finishing college. trust me. i know what and where these stupid dishes should be placed

I say you got a couple options.

I do have to ask though... if you were an installer and you know how to fix everything why pay for a protection plan?

First option is to email ceo and see if they will do something for you.

Second would be to call into customer service again and play customer service representative roulette.

Third option is drop the insurance to save money and grab an entire dish setup at dishstore.net or Ebay.... I think the dish + LNB are less than 100 bucks.

Hope this helps.

From dishnetwork.com regarding the dish home protection plan.....

4. Exclusions from Coverage: Your Plan does not cover:
A) SERVICE, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR, OR REPLACEMENT DUE TO ANY LOSS RESULTING FROM USAGE OTHER THAN NORMAL USAGE AND BEYOND DISH NETWORK’S NORMAL CONTROL SUCH AS: DAMAGE DUE TO MISUSE, ABUSE, INSECT OR OTHER INFESTATION, FIRE, WATER, FOREIGN SUBSTANCES, ORGANIC MATERIALS, WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, THEFT, TERRORISM/WAR, NEGLIGENCE, RIOT, OR ACTS OF GOD;

I say you got a couple options.

I do have to ask though... if you were an installer and you know how to fix everything why pay for a protection plan?

First option is to email ceo and see if they will do something for you.

Second would be to call into customer service again and play customer service representative roulette.

Third option is drop the insurance to save money and grab an entire dish setup at dishstore.net or Ebay.... I think the dish + LNB are less than 100 bucks.

Hope this helps.

i was a installer a few years agao. the dishes and lnbs aren't the same. i do know haw to use sat meters'and install the new style dishes but that proection plan also covers recievers. if a line breaks i don't mind stipping and putting on connections but to buy a whole complete dish. it's simply not worth it. with dish slowly working towards getting more hd as has been the case for the last 2 years, i find direct(right now) is the better choice. i could email the ceo and go through all the bs, but bottom line, i'm a paying cutomer just like all of you. customers deserve better. i have moved twice in ten years and both times i installed everything myself. i guess i should have this time. thanks for your response

Last edited:
dish home protection plan covers all and any problems with any and all dish products. do you really know what your talking about? tha't why having the home protection plan is suppose to be so nice. that's exactly why dish and direct push it on the customer. i wasn't there for the intsall but i did leave the intaller instructions on where the old dish was installed . he even called my cell phone before i got home and told me he installed it exactly on the same pole the prior dish was on. but when i got home that wasn't the case at all. i was an installer for dish for a cople of years while finishing college. trust me. i know what and where these stupid dishes should be placed

Did said installer know how to make paragraphs and spell?

BAH...good riddance.

From dishnetwork.com regarding the dish home protection plan.....

4. Exclusions from Coverage: Your Plan does not cover:
A) SERVICE, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR, OR REPLACEMENT DUE TO ANY LOSS RESULTING FROM USAGE OTHER THAN NORMAL USAGE AND BEYOND DISH NETWORK’S NORMAL CONTROL SUCH AS: DAMAGE DUE TO MISUSE, ABUSE, INSECT OR OTHER INFESTATION, FIRE, WATER, FOREIGN SUBSTANCES, ORGANIC MATERIALS, WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, THEFT, TERRORISM/WAR, NEGLIGENCE, RIOT, OR ACTS OF GOD;

Nowhere in the clause is Ice Storm listed. Dish, pay up, biotches. :)

Nowhere in the clause is Ice Storm listed. Dish, pay up, biotches. :)

There you go...

I understand your frustration... but I have done all my own install work with the exception of my first install in 98 and the last install in 2006. The only reason for that was simply because Dish required me to have someone "professionally" install it.

By the way.... their "professional" installer didnt know how to install a Dish 1000 and make it work with a 721 and 622 box. I had to walk him through the install. Furthermore, the signal on 129 was so bad after the install I had to get outside myself a week later and tweak the signal.

Since then I have upgraded the equipment they used to suit my needs.

I've learned over the years if you can do it yourself... do it... cuz a lot of the installers Dish has around here dont have a clue. Its not that hard to aim a dish, ground it, and run some wire.

Dish sells the insurance for a reason... most people will pay enough in insurance overtime to cover all upgrades and repairs needed.

The home protection plan DOES NOT COVER the dish from acts of god dammage. It will cover a LNB failure.

There you go...

I understand your frustration... but I have done all my own install work with the exception of my first install in 98 and the last install in 2006. The only reason for that was simply because Dish required me to have someone "professionally" install it.

By the way.... their "professional" installer didnt know how to install a Dish 1000 and make it work with a 721 and 622 box. I had to walk him through the install. Furthermore, the signal on 129 was so bad after the install I had to get outside myself a week later and tweak the signal.

Since then I have upgraded the equipment they used to suit my needs.

I've learned over the years if you can do it yourself... do it... cuz a lot of the installers Dish has around here dont have a clue. Its not that hard to aim a dish, ground it, and run some wire.

Dish sells the insurance for a reason... most people will pay enough in insurance overtime to cover all upgrades and repairs needed.

They did work with him. They even offered to do it for free and give him credit for 2 months. But that was not good enough. Good luck with Direct. Hope it all works out for you.

They did work with him. They even offered to do it for free and give him credit for 2 months. But that was not good enough. Good luck with Direct. Hope it all works out for you.

they only offered as a last resort to make things right after i cancelled. should you have to cancel everytime before a rep will work for you. think about it. this was the last straw with dish. it's not like it was the first problem i've encountered. although i've only had two issues in ten years. i didn't mind paying something for the new replaced install but $ 199.99.
wouldn't some of you be a little upset. if dish would put the cancellation department people on the phone 1st, i bet a lot of people would have stayed with dish in the 1st place. as i stated earlier, i had to call a few times.

Unless the guy did the installation with no adult present, then the fault lies with whomever was at home on your behalf. You should have left instructions with your spouse, roomy, whoever was to be home for the install. No one should have signed off on that work order unless the job was done right.

I hear crap like that every once in a while when a wife says its ok to put a dish in a particular spot and then the husband comes home and calls back to have it moved. I tell them I'll move it...for $80/hr. Disputes between members of the household on how the install should be done is not my problem. I'm obligated to whoever is in charge and I'll ask outright if there's any uncertainty beforehand. Take your complaint to whoever you left in charge of the install on your behalf.

Call from Dish (or someone) regarding 015 error

rfdtv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)