iCRAZE- Pardon me while I take a break from my iEXCITEMENT with Windows8 Tablet thought

Please select one

• I plan to buy a MS Windows8 Tablet

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I plan to buy because of MS Office included

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have an ipad now and don't need what Office will offer

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • I will own both ipad and MS OS8 to have what ipad doesn't offer.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I won't own either because I don't want a tablet

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I will look to Android tablets and apps to satisfy my needs.

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
QuickOffice on the iPad works great with MS Word and Google Docs. No reason to get a Windows 8 tablet.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Agreed. I work with Office documents in numerous iOS apps, including Quick Office HD, Docs to Go (don't like that one), Pages, dropbox, readdledocs, PDF Expert, and DevonThink to Go, among others. and its pretty clear that MS is working on an Office for iOS app. They have always been willing to make money, and since well over 80% of tablets are iPads, its crazy for them not to make money on them.

Do you realize that more than 70% of businesses still use COBOL?! :D
That's got a bit of a spin on it. It's true that 70% (maybe more) of the businesses are using programs written in COBOL to do their work but that doesn't mean that the businesses are "using" COBOL. They are using the programs that were developed with COBOL - most of their employees don't know or care what development language was used to develop those programs. That's like saying 100% of the businesses are using machine code since, ultimately, it has to be in machine code before the computer can execute it.

That's got a bit of a spin on it. It's true that 70% (maybe more) of the businesses are using programs written in COBOL to do their work but that doesn't mean that the businesses are "using" COBOL. They are using the programs that were developed with COBOL - most of their employees don't know or care what development language was used to develop those programs. That's like saying 100% of the businesses are using machine code since, ultimately, it has to be in machine code before the computer can execute it.
Not a good comparison really. No one writes programs in machine code these days, while by some accounts 5 billion lines of new code in COBOL are written every year.
Someone has to maintain all that ancient code!

I have only had to reboot I think 3 times in the past year due to updates with my MacBook.

Is there a log? I've got one pending now, an update to the apple installer service or something. I bet Safari itself updated more than 3 times in the last year.

I usually hit not now until its something I care about or a few things queued up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Is there a log? I've got one pending now, an update to the apple installer service or something. I bet Safari itself updated more than 3 times in the last year.

I usually hit not now until its something I care about or a few things queued up.

Yes there is a log. You can go into the software update and check what updates have been applied. Safari has been updated twice since 7/20/11 and I know for a fact that the last one did not require a reboot.

I have to reboot my MacBook all the time, and for absurd things like upgrading Safari.

My wife and I have each had our MBP and Vaio's respectively for about the same amount of time. I have had to reboot her MBP more often than my Vaio, had to do more OS upgrades on her MBP than on my Vaio, and her MBP has crashed more often (my Vaio has yet to crash) than my Vaio.

Monthly?! I am patching apps on my iOS devices daily! :)
Exactly. In the six month my wife has had her MBP, I have had to do more updates, upgrades, and recover from more crashes than my two home built Windows desktops and my Windows laptop combined.

I have an Android and Apple tablets and prefer the Apple over the Android. I have Apple phones and had Windows phones and prefer Apple over Windows. But when it comes to computers it is not even close. My Windows desktops and laptops run circles over my MBP, have fewer issues, and are more compatible with more items that I use regularly.

My wife and I have each had our MBP and Vaio's respectively for about the same amount of time. I have had to reboot her MBP more often than my Vaio, had to do more OS upgrades on her MBP than on my Vaio, and her MBP has crashed more often (my Vaio has yet to crash) than my Vaio.

You are the first person that I have ever known that has to had to reboot a Mac so much. What is she running that the system crashes? Also you do know that 90+% of the application issues can be fixed with force closing the application instead of rebooting the machine.

You are the first person that I have ever known that has to had to reboot a Mac so much. What is she running that the system crashes? Also you do know that 90+% of the application issues can be fixed with force closing the application instead of rebooting the machine.

I reboot about once a month, by choice, not need. The last time was due to a firmware update. I was a true-blood Windows guy since Windows 3, but 10 months with a MacBook and I'll never go back -- EVER. Someone who wanted to dig for my anti-Apple screeds in old threads would find them.

I honestly do not know. To be fair she used to crash her HP laptop just as often. It is probably her, not the computer.

The one nice thing about MACs is when they do crash, when you reboot everything comes back to exactly where it was when it froze up. No need to worry if you saved your work.

Force close does not work as the whole computer will freeze up and nothing will work.

I honestly do not know. To be fair she used to crash her HP laptop just as often. It is probably her, not the computer.

The one nice thing about MACs is when they do crash, when you reboot everything comes back to exactly where it was when it froze up. No need to worry if you saved your work.

Force close does not work as the whole computer will freeze up and nothing will work.

That is strange. The only time I ever had problems with Force Quitting a program was when I had been logged into the VPN, had a network drive mounted, and forgot to unmount it when I put the machine to sleep. Used to send Finder into fits. But that was in Snow Leopard, and I have not had the problem in six months.

I reboot about once a month, by choice, not need. The last time was due to a firmware update. I was a true-blood Windows guy since Windows 3, but 10 months with a MacBook and I'll never go back -- EVER. Someone who wanted to dig for my anti-Apple screeds in old threads would find them.

I remember those good old days. :D

I just find it funny about people that say the have to update OSX more than Windows. Just looked at my windows box and the 127 updates that have been needed on Windows 7. There is nowhere near that many that have been released on the current OSX version and that even counts the iTunes updated on OSX. I just counted 25 updates for the OSX that have been needed for my MAC.

I think I have had 1 time in 4 years that my MAC froze and I had to hard power it down. Very odd that she is having all of these issues.

I remember those good old days. :D

I just find it funny about people that say the have to update OSX more than Windows. Just looked at my windows box and the 127 updates that have been needed on Windows 7. There is nowhere near that many that have been released on the current OSX version and that even counts the iTunes updated on OSX. I just counted 25 updates for the OSX that have been needed for my MAC.

Or go into Remove Programs in the Control Panel, and there is a long list of Windows updates. One after another. Sure, there are OSX updates, but infrequently, and many of them have been to update programs to support things like iCloud. Only a handful have required reboots, pretty much those that involved firmware changes.

I think the Mac Book rebooting frequency has to do with how you use it. Using Final Cut Pro on a robust project rebooting and crashing was real common. And it never came back the moment before it crashed. It came back the last auto save. The debate over OS stability is silly because there is no truth to whether one OS is more stable than another. It has to do with the application software running that generates the crash. The OS itself never crashes but we don't use computers to just navigate around the OS. We run applications.

I would be pleased as punch if Microsoft made an Office version for ipad. But I haven't heard a word about it. Mike, you listed a whole line of different apps that do office functions. Seems pretty clunky to me. I've gone through several spread sheet apps and spent close to $30 on different $$ ones but none are complete and none are straight forward to use. The file listing system that Ipad uses is really awkward. To use 5 different XLS compatible SS apps I had to upload the same XLS file 5 times. That's crazy! The same with PDF files.

I think the Mac Book rebooting frequency has to do with how you use it. Using Final Cut Pro on a robust project rebooting and crashing was real common. And it never came back the moment before it crashed. It came back the last auto save. The debate over OS stability is silly because there is no truth to whether one OS is more stable than another. It has to do with the application software running that generates the crash. The OS itself never crashes but we don't use computers to just navigate around the OS. We run applications.

I would be pleased as punch if Microsoft made an Office version for ipad. But I haven't heard a word about it. Mike, you listed a whole line of different apps that do office functions. Seems pretty clunky to me. I've gone through several spread sheet apps and spent close to $30 on different $$ ones but none are complete and none are straight forward to use. The file listing system that Ipad uses is really awkward. To use 5 different XLS compatible SS apps I had to upload the same XLS file 5 times. That's crazy! The same with PDF files.

RE: Software. I was pointing out CHOICES that people have that work. Yeah, probably none of them allow complex macros of the sort I envision you wanting to use, but I am not convinced that MS Office for iPad will do that either. Nothing awkward or clunky about the options. The tablet as a replacement for the laptop/desktop does not provide the robust authoring environment that the desktop OS does; but for 99% of us, does it have to? I do "tablet stuff" on the iPad, and desktop stuff on the desktop (or laptop). That said, there is more and more "creation" or authoring capabilities on an iPad every day. I get blown away with the music my kid creates in garage band, or the ability to replace the paper-notebook with note-taking apps.

RE: OS, yes, software makes or breaks operating systems, but some operating systems seem to require a heck of a lot less "care and feeding" than others. OSX is not perfect, but it provides all the security and stability of linux with the robust software choices (and in many instances OSX-only software choices) of Windows. and perhaps OSX's great strength is the tight integration of hardware with software; something that is an achilles heel for Windows, and I suspect, will be the same problem with Windows tablets (as it is with Android in many instances). I have NO DOUBT that Windows 8 tablets will end up with processor and ram specs that exceed the iPad. But they will NEED that "brute force" to overcome inefficiencies in the OS (just as Android has to). It makes me laugh when I see the forum comments on tech blogs about how 2011 the new iPad is; almost always from people who never have used it. It is ingrained in people's minds that it has to have quad-core, it has to have lots of ram, it has to have high speed processors. Amazing, but my old 512mb iPad2 and my 1GB ram iPad next perform pretty much identically.

Far too many ideas in one post... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts