iCRAZE- Pardon me while I take a break from my iEXCITEMENT with Windows8 Tablet thought

Please select one

• I plan to buy a MS Windows8 Tablet

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I plan to buy because of MS Office included

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have an ipad now and don't need what Office will offer

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • I will own both ipad and MS OS8 to have what ipad doesn't offer.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I won't own either because I don't want a tablet

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I will look to Android tablets and apps to satisfy my needs.

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
RE: OS, yes, software makes or breaks operating systems, but some operating systems seem to require a heck of a lot less "care and feeding" than others. OSX is not perfect, but it provides all the security and stability of linux with the robust software choices (and in many instances OSX-only software choices) of Windows. and perhaps OSX's great strength is the tight integration of hardware with software; something that is an achilles heel for Windows, and I suspect, will be the same problem with Windows tablets (as it is with Android in many instances). I have NO DOUBT that Windows 8 tablets will end up with processor and ram specs that exceed the iPad. But they will NEED that "brute force" to overcome inefficiencies in the OS (just as Android has to). It makes me laugh when I see the forum comments on tech blogs about how 2011 the new iPad is; almost always from people who never have used it. It is ingrained in people's minds that it has to have quad-core, it has to have lots of ram, it has to have high speed processors. Amazing, but my old 512mb iPad2 and my 1GB ram iPad next perform pretty much identically.

I am not so sure on this Mike.
I know this is not exactly the same, but if they can do with windows 8 what they did with WP7/7.5, they wont need "brute force" to make it as smooth and integrated as the iPad. It (WP7) is as smooth with inferior equipment as anything on the market, Iphone included.

If they can approach that with W8.....

I know this is not exactly the same, but if they can do with windows 8 what they did with WP7/7.5, they wont need "brute force" to make it as smooth and integrated as the iPad. It (WP7) is as smooth with inferior equipment as anything on the market, Iphone included.

Yeah, but W8 is supposed to be "fully Windows" WP7 is not. Big difference. We'll see, but I'm not going to Vegas with those odds.

Yeah, but W8 is supposed to be "fully Windows" WP7 is not. Big difference. We'll see, but I'm not going to Vegas with those odds.

I would agree that W8 would not need much horsepower if it was only going to be a mobile device. When you start talking about running the office applications and as Mike stated becoming a full windows experience then we will be talking a totally different set of hardware requirements.

That is true.
Of course to do more it may need more. I am simply pointing out that they have shown that they can tightly integrate the OS with lesser hardware in the mobile world. I see no reason that they can not continue to build on that with W8.
So while they may have more "brute force", It may not be because of any inefficiency in the OS, which is what it appeared Rocky was possibly alluding to, but rather because it is expected to do more.

Did that make my point more clearly?

That said, there is more and more "creation" or authoring capabilities on an iPad every day. I get blown away with the music my kid creates in garage band, or the ability to replace the paper-notebook with note-taking apps.

Yes and the point being is that which will get us the business apps with the most bells and whistles? For this year, my bets are on Microsoft. How good is another question. It may be better than ipad3 this year for these apps, but will it be good enough and yes, that does mean mirroring what we can do on the desktop. If I'm used to having a tool such as create rules in Outlook on the desktop I don't want that tool to be missing from the tablet.

Security- You know every time this debate comes up Macheads always like to use security issues with Microsoft OS as an example of superiority. I feel that properly equipped desktop is just as safe as a Mac. The big difference is the number of attacks on the windows OS as opposed to the Mac. We could look at it like the Mac has enjoyed a lack of combat experience living safely in obscurity. While Windows continues to be in the trenches on the front lines year after year gaining combat hardened experience every day. If I ever did come in contact with a worm or virus attack designed to hit ipad iOS, the lack of combat experience would make me a quick casualty. On my Windows systems I have a number of defenses that do well and they are continuing to gain more experience and get tested every day. The last time I was wounded in combat with a windows virus was about 5 years ago.

That's the thing! You don't need to change the infrustracture to deploy Windows 8 tablets! Corporate inertia will win! ;)
I believe you're right. My branch of the government has standardized their productivity package nationwide with MS Office. Every document, every spreadsheet, every presentation, ... . They aren't going to rip that up and start over with something less functional because it's on an iPad.

I was a true-blood Windows guy since Windows 3, but 10 months with a MacBook and I'll never go back -- EVER. Someone who wanted to dig for my anti-Apple screeds in old threads would find them.

Couldn't Resist.:D

In keeping with Don's thread, if a MS Windows 8 Tablet comes out before I purchase an iPad3 (sometime this summer) that can compete with the performance of the new pad I might consider one. I would love to have MS Office and Adobe on a new iPad, but that is wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)